Favors

is this tacky

I am on a very tight shoe string budget for my wedding and I th ought a good way to cut down on the price would be to just not have favors.  I cant remember any wedding favor ever.  Is it tacky or in poor taste not to have favors and do you think people will notice ?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: is this tacky

• SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope, it's totally okay not to have favors.
  • edited December 2011

I am not giving favors.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No one would notice.
  • gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No one would care.  Unless it's edible or drinkable, I usually end up throwing away favors from weddings b/c they're either 1. not useful or 2. not my taste.
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Favors are completely unnecessary - put the money to better use somewhere else in your budget.

• edited December 2011
    I think I'm going to give out fans. Mostly because its a May outdoor wedding. Otherwise I doubt I'd give out anything.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I dont think anyone will notice, favors are a fairly new thing to weddings anyway. (10ish years)
  • mjeanc09mjeanc09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're on a budget as well, and I was considering not having favors. Then my mom told me that at their wedding, her and my step-dad had personalized plastic bags for the guests to take home a piece of cake. I think we'll do that, since it's super cheap and very easy to do! But I honestly don't think it's tacky to not have favors!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • apt13thoughtsapt13thoughts member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are donating to an animal charity we are both passionate about instead of doing favors- you can write your guests a little note saying that you decided to do that in their name- this way you can choose an amount you can afford (your guests won't know how much you donated).  This way you're doing something great that you believe in and not wasting money on something that half the time gets left on a table!

• nannewmurnannewmur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do without favors-I personally would rather have the $$ spent as the bride and groom feel as needed.  I could care less about a cookie, cd, coozie or any other trinket I would likely throw away!!
  • edited December 2011
    wow normally people are so serious about providing every littl ething for the guests.... this was a real eye-opener for me! I am also on a tight budget and this is very good news! :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:22b31ea8-0056-4f3c-8cbe-3d9f5625645aPost:f910d672-2b62-446e-ae3e-012d5b307602">Re: is this tacky</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dont think anyone will notice, favors are a fairly new thing to weddings anyway. (10ish years)
    Posted by BriannaMMariani[/QUOTE]

Funny, I always thought it was an older tradition.  It's the only thing my mom and friends' parents ask about when asking about the wedding.  One of the first three questions is always "what are your favors?" from the 50+ crowd.

We're having favors because Momma wanted favors and she's paying for them.  I was totally ok with not having favors and hardly notice when there aren't any!  Save your money :)
  • edited December 2011
    Nowadays, anytime you read an article about how to save money on weddings, usually the first tip they give is to scrap the favors. No one will miss them. We didn't do them at our wedding and no one complained. 
  • ikrystalikrystal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just went to a wedding two weeks ago and they did not have favors.  No one said a word about it.  I didnt even notice until I read this post and I realized... HEY my friend didnt have favors either.  Use the money towards something more important!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:22b31ea8-0056-4f3c-8cbe-3d9f5625645aPost:edfcd09b-c001-4c5a-b132-abcff7a78873">Re: is this tacky</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: is this tacky : Funny, I always thought it was an older tradition.  It's the only thing my mom and friends' parents ask about when asking about the wedding.  One of the first three questions is always "what are your favors?" from the 50+ crowd. We're having favors because Momma wanted favors and she's paying for them.  I was totally ok with not having favors and hardly notice when there aren't any!  Save your money :)
    Posted by PhotogBride[/QUOTE]

When my mom got married 35 years ago favors were not given out. Infact my mom was shocked when I mentioned favors being possible.
  • TwoByTwilightTwoByTwilight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I went to my cousins wedding 2 years ago and didn't even realize that the favors were on the table waiting for us. I went home empty handed- and loaded.... and weeks after the wedding I received a thank you and a picture of them. I asked my mother "where the hell am I suppose to put this tiny ass picture of them?" and my mother said "in the small frame they left on the tables at the wedding...."

ooooh... you mean the thing I didn't even notice?

yea- I think people now a days don't even worry about receiving a favor- it's more about if they had a good time or not.
  • TwoByTwilightTwoByTwilight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just asked my FSIL "what would YOU rather get at a wedding, a favor or a donation in your name?" and she said a gift, because will think WE are cheap for not getting them a favor....

Now I have no idea what I should do =/

I feel like our favors of shotglasses will be unnoticed and people will either not take them or not realize they are there and or/ just take them home and never use them. They will become dust collectors- where as a donation can do some good...
  • edited December 2011
    wouldn't care in the least if I went to a wedding and didn't get a favor. Go for it!
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nobody cares about favors.  Here's how I explain it.  Wedding guests are like plants.  The only thing they care about is being watered and fed - with you picking up the full tab for both.  Seriously, that's what people remember of weddings.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    We're not doing favors either... it just seems weird to give 150 people a really dinky gift.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:22b31ea8-0056-4f3c-8cbe-3d9f5625645aPost:14fa0744-9f96-4ee8-a350-3b383a24a64e">Re: is this tacky</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nobody cares about favors.  Here's how I explain it.  Wedding guests are like plants.  <strong>The only thing they care about is being watered and fed - with you picking up the full tab for both.  Seriously, that's what people remember of weddings.</strong>
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]
    You are totally right. I hardly remember anything about favors, etc. from past weddings, but I remember their food (good or bad) and their drink (good, bad, or unfortunately non-existent).

OP, if your budget is small, screw favors and spend the money on something more important, like better food or drink.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards