Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

New Facebook wedding fail

I saw this on Facebook today, and thought the E board would get a kick out it. Or slam their heads on their desks and get large purple bruises. One or the other! On FMIL's Facebook wall, I saw an RSVP link to B and G's wedding. B is somewhat of an odd relationship...the grandson of a lady FMIL helped take care of years ago. B has had many issues, in and out of jail, etc. he's doing a good job turning his life around now, and FMIL has been a steady supportive person in his life for the last couple years. So, curious, I clicked on the link. It's wide open public, I can see everything about their wedding. And here's where the etiquette fail really gets going. They ask anyone who canto come early to help seat up. Guests are asked to bring blankets to sit on, as the ceremony will be at a park. BYOB and bring your own meat party to follow at a buddy's as-yet undetermined house. Anyone who can host is welcome to come forward! Then, and this is just my own annoyance, FMIL posted something along the lines of "we will be there, will probably be 5!" Now, including me, the family is 6, ands this wedding is taking place a month after FI and I get married. Not sure who is being left out of FMIL's response. Not that I want to go anyway, just one more thing that made me roll my eyes. I hope some of you can get a kick out of this! I know if I say anything to FI he'll just tell me things are different for B's family...uh huh, sure.

Re: New Facebook wedding fail

• Options
    I understand a relaxed wedding atmosphere...but this kind of crosses that line...:S
  • Options
    Bring your own meat? For seriousness?
  • Options
    Yes, I kid you not. No, I wouldn't attend even if FMIL asked me and FI. I've never met this guy, he and I mean absolutely nothing to each other. That bit about the number was just one more thing on that FB page that rubbed me the wrong way. Which of your children/SO are you leaving out, FMIL?
  • Options
    Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh FB.

That wedding sounds like it will win "Wedding of the Year"!

I have a FB story.  Some one received an STD, they took a picture of it and tagged the bride in it with a comment of "So excited!  Just got this awesome STD!"  So now people like me, who are not invited to the wedding, can not only tell that I am not invited to the wedding since I have not received an STD but you can see the date and town!  Hopefully she doesn't take a picture of the invitation!

BTW, I am not upset that I didn't get invited...it's an old friend from high school that I haven't seen in 14 years...we talk occasionaly about wedding stuff.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    Ah, Facebook. Some people just don't seem to understand that as soon as you put something up on the Internet, it's there for people to see. I have my FB profile super private, partly because one of my best friends had a stalker ex. But also all the stories of potential employers looking at FB made me very cautious of what I post on the Internet. others just don't think that through all the way, or maybe just don't care.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_new-facebook-wedding-fail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:055db49f-3eda-4e6a-9f22-3ca6a3d5a4a3Post:6bc279de-ae48-4cf7-8c25-18333ad4c532">Re: New Facebook wedding fail</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ah, Facebook. Some people just don't seem to understand that as soon as you put something up on the Internet, it's there for people to see. I have my FB profile super private, partly because one of my best friends had a stalker ex. But also all the stories of <strong>potential employers looking at FB </strong>made me very cautious of what I post on the Internet. others just don't think that through all the way, or maybe just don't care.
    Posted by Bonzo2011[/QUOTE]

My friend did an intership at the parole office and she had to hand over her FB and myspace id & password.  I guess she thought she deleted her myspace, told them "I think I deleted it but I'm not sure, if it's still up this is the user name & password."  Well they almost didn't hire her because when they went they saw she had a myspace and thought she was lying about deleting it. 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_new-facebook-wedding-fail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:055db49f-3eda-4e6a-9f22-3ca6a3d5a4a3Post:60ff6160-42fa-48ab-932b-48ed24b6059e">Re: New Facebook wedding fail</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: New Facebook wedding fail : My friend did an intership at the parole office and she had to hand over her FB and myspace id & password.  I guess she thought she deleted her myspace, told them "I think I deleted it but I'm not sure, if it's still up this is the user name & password."  Well they almost didn't hire her because when they went they saw she had a myspace and thought she was lying about deleting it. 
    Posted by TiffannieF[/QUOTE]

Wow, did it work out after she explained? I had MySpace for less than a year, deleted it when I decided I just didnt like the set up. Makes me wonder what is still out there somewhere...
  • Options
    What kind of weddng is that?! HORRIBLE! be glad if you weren't invited!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Tiffanie, If this were my STD, I would ask them to take it down.  Not because I don't appriciate their enthusiasm but just because I would know what comes next, can I come, and oh I think mine got lost in the mail!!!

I haven't posted anything wedding related except for the engagement and the occasional post about checking out venue's and vendors.  I used to get the urge to post things about it but then I thought about it

NOT A GOOD IDEA!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_new-facebook-wedding-fail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:055db49f-3eda-4e6a-9f22-3ca6a3d5a4a3Post:dabd371a-a883-4cf9-a94d-aa2c0ee6e09f">Re: New Facebook wedding fail</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tiffanie, If this were my STD, I would ask them to take it down.  Not because I don't appriciate their enthusiasm but just because I would know what comes next, can I come, and oh I think mine got lost in the mail!!! I haven't posted anything wedding related except for the engagement and the occasional post about checking out venue's and vendors.  I used to get the urge to post things about it but then I thought about it NOT A GOOD IDEA!!
    Posted by Hilraythebride[/QUOTE]

I have actually asked people to take down posts related to my wedding, in order to avoid all of that! Oddly enough, the one person I had to ask most often to take stuff down was my BFF's ex, who is no longer invited because we were never friends outside of our connection to BFF.

Of course, if you do as the groom in my OP did, and just put all the wedding info, date, time, park address etc out in the open for the whole Internet to see, I guess you never have to watch what wedding stuff goes on FB!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_new-facebook-wedding-fail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:055db49f-3eda-4e6a-9f22-3ca6a3d5a4a3Post:dcd1c384-ccf6-4d91-9672-1da280b17808">Re: New Facebook wedding fail</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bring your own meat ? For seriousness?
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, I couldn't get past that part.</div>
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_new-facebook-wedding-fail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:055db49f-3eda-4e6a-9f22-3ca6a3d5a4a3Post:60ff6160-42fa-48ab-932b-48ed24b6059e">Re: New Facebook wedding fail</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: New Facebook wedding fail : My friend did an intership at the parole office and <strong>she had to hand over her FB and myspace id & password.</strong>  I guess she thought she deleted her myspace, told them "I think I deleted it but I'm not sure, if it's still up this is the user name & password."  Well they almost didn't hire her because when they went they saw she had a myspace and thought she was lying about deleting it. 

<div>That's not ok.  I recently read an interesting/informative blog post about that, which had good suggestions on how to respond if you are ever asked to give your id and password to a potential employer (<a href="http://www.askamanager.org/2012/01/when-a-prospective-employer-wants-your-social-media-passwords.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">link</a>).  </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_new-facebook-wedding-fail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:055db49f-3eda-4e6a-9f22-3ca6a3d5a4a3Post:d168b616-488b-49d1-aa7c-a3853bd32c88">Re: New Facebook wedding fail</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: New Facebook wedding fail : That's not ok.  I recently read an interesting/informative blog post about that, which had good suggestions on how to respond if you are ever asked to give your id and password to a potential employer ( link ).  
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

Really interesting article! Thanks for sharing. I always felt that practice was sketchy and could lead to identity theft, but I hadn't even thought about it violating the Terms and Conditions of the site. Good to know for the future!
  • Options
    I caught an open to friends-of-friends invite to a bachelor party once. It was actually very helpful, as I was looking to carpool to that wedding, but didn't know who was invited.

Anyone who would plan a wedding like this is outside Etiquette.
  • Options
    Eeek.  That's pretty terrible.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_new-facebook-wedding-fail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:055db49f-3eda-4e6a-9f22-3ca6a3d5a4a3Post:be7c7393-cfcc-4ca3-a3b3-5cd8ac7f444e">Re: New Facebook wedding fail</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh FB. That wedding sounds like it will win "Wedding of the Year"! I have a FB story.  Some one received an STD, they took a picture of it and tagged the bride in it with a comment of "So excited!  Just got this awesome STD!"  So now people like me, who are not invited to the wedding, can not only tell that I am not invited to the wedding since I have not received an STD but you can see the date and town!  Hopefully she doesn't take a picture of the invitation! BTW, I am not upset that I didn't get invited...it's an old friend from high school that I haven't seen in 14 years...we talk occasionaly about wedding stuff.

Are you friends with my fiance's cousin? She seriously did the same thing today and now there are a bunch of comments from people who haven't gotten STDs asking about the wedding. I feel for the couple. Sometimes I really wonder about why people would feel the need to post things like that

• Options
    When people leave their wedding Evites wide open, I respond yes.  I want them to look at it and say "Who the F is that?"
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • Options
    Oh c'mon. Why wouldn't you want to attend a classy affair like that? ;D 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

YIKES!!!

That reminds me of a wedding  I went to a year ago.  It was an outdoor wedding.  We all stood around (no chairs provided nor courteous "bring your own blanket!) while the father of the bride walked her down in his sh!t covered work boots.  The best man bent over a BEER KEG to sign the marriage certificate.  Grandma sat front row in her wheel chair, hooked up with an oxygen line....smoking through the ceremony.

But alas, we didn't have to bring our own meat.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards