Rhode Island

Vegetarian Wedding? In RI

Hi! My Fiancée and I are just starting to plan our wedding. We are still deciding on a venue and a date. We plan to have about 150 ppl. Both of us are vegetarians, but we do eat a bit of fish.

We do not like the idea of serving meat at our wedding. I would serve some fish, but it would have to be local. My father is a commercial fisherman and I would prefer if he could provide the fish to whomever the vendor is.

I also have celiac disease, so I can not eat any gluten (wheat, barely or rye). I would love to go to an event (for once in my life) where I can eat everything at the table. I am normally so limited.

Our only concern is our guests. My family is fairly traditional and I am not sure how many would be into eating a vegetarian meal. How would you feel if you went to a veggie and fish only wedding? How about a Gluten free cake? Most baked goods taste almost identical, but I fear lots of people wouldn't even try it and my feelings would be badly hurt.

Also does anyone have any vendor recommendations for this type of menu?

Thanks!

Re: Vegetarian Wedding? In RI

• I'd give people the option of fish or vegetarian & maybe make the vegetarian something like pasta.  As for the cake, I wouldn't even tell anyone it's gluten free & then no one has a reason not to try it.  I remember seeing gluten-free written on a few menus at venues we toured, so I don't think you'll have trouble finding vendors.  Just ask upfront for gluten-free options.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I might think it slightly weird or abnormal if the menu selections were only fish and veggie, but it is your wedding and you can do what you want!! People who know you guys are vegetarians shouldn't be surprised by this at all. Maybe you could consider offering a passed appetizer or two that has meat in it to keep others happy? Not necessary though.
    I agree with PP - don't even tell anyone the cake it gluten-free. I doubt anyone would notice! Or do cupcakes, where some are gluten free and others aren't? If people don't eat it, I also wouldn't assume it's b/c they don't like it. Usually by that point in the night everyone's been eating so much wonderful food they don't have much room left in their tummies!
    As for your dad providing the fish, that might be a hard sell at a venue. You might have more luck with this if you go with a venue where you hire a caterer, but I don't know. I'd be surprised if a venue that does their own cooking and has their own suppliers would let you do that. You could ask, but I would recommend not using that as a requirement. It might really limit you. But you can certainly find places that use local fish! Again, I'd think caterers would be your best bet for local, but I could be wrong.
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Just jumping in here, but Im curious as to what kind of meals you have in mind that are both gluten free and vegetarian? 

• Some vegetarian couples serve meat out of deference to their guests. However if you and your fiance are strongly opposed to serving meat at your wedding than go with it. I am sure they can go one day without eating meat. You can certainly serve meat alternatives made from tofo or veggies too. Some guests may not be thrilled with the idea while others may have their own food allergies (allergic to fish,nuts or soy or a particular food). Another problem might be finding a caterer who specializes in providing top notch vegan or vegetarian food. I've heard caterers charge more too - which is weird since I assume veggies, fruits and nuts cost far less than beef and poultry but I guess the creativity and the sheer number of guests being served might increased the cost. Also it might be difficult to have the caterer use the fish your father provides as most caterers have their own trusted resources from local or national food distributors. As for the gluten free cake, I don't see any issues there as long as it tastes yummy for the tummy!

• Thanks for the replies so far!

With regards to food that is both GF and veggie... I was thinking maybe something along the Asian/Indian line. I can eat rice and potato, just no wheat, so pasta is out unless they do GF. There are also lots of grilled veggie dishes - like grilled veggie lasagna, or tofu, quinoa, veggie burgers, that type of thing. I have been vegetarian my whole life and diagnosed GF for just over 3 years. I end up cooking a lot, but I am also very creative with it!

Has anyone ever been to an Indian food wedding?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_vegetarian-wedding-in-ri?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:90ae83b4-fd28-419d-b45c-f0141d0c60f1Post:5a47171d-1c4f-4226-b213-339835a4f7f7">Re: Vegetarian Wedding? In RI</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just jumping in here, but Im curious as to what kind of meals you have in mind that are both gluten free and vegetarian? 
    Posted by scubascaff[/QUOTE]
  • I know that some places do have the GF pasta.  We are having our rehearsal dinner in Newport and they are making two of the entrees and pasta GF for one of my BM.  I have never been to an Indian food wedding, but since the food upsets my stomach, I would probably eat before I went or hit a drive through after.  With regards to the cake, you don't need to tell anyone anything, or you could do a GF cake with cupcakes or something like that.
  • I have been to Indian weddings. Asians in general eat a lot of greenery (Except Philippinos) and seafood. A LOT of spices are used especially in curry dishes more so than say the average causasian maybe able to handle. If you are going to serve Indian food, Rasoi caters. 

• My fiance is vegetarian and I am not. We also have a lot of guests that will be at the wedding who are vegetarian. We have decided to go a little non traditional and do an extended cocktail reception. We will have more hordourves, salad and soup, a pasta station w/GF option and then a station of a beef selection and fish. I have been to so many events/weddings with my fiance where he has only been able to have a salad because there is not a vegetarian option. Everyone at our tables are usually giving him their salad.

Also about the cake I wouldn't mention it is GF either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards