May 2012 Weddings
Options

name change and HM question

FI and I are ready to book our honeymoon soon and I'm not sure what name to book it under. We aren't going until August and I won't need a passport. My married friends have told me that it doesn't take too long for the name change process but I'm still nervous about booking the HM with my new name. Should I go for it since it's pleny of time (almost 3 months after the wedding) or just wait until after we get back from the HM to change it? 
Photobucket

Re: name change and HM question

• Options
    given the time I have no idea....but I have the same question, I am changing my name and going out of country for HM...its under my legal name now since they needed a passport number to book...do I keep it under my legal name and carry that passport  even if my name will be changed by then? Or do I call them and try and get them to change the reservation and pray that the marraige certificate is enough for them while I am waiting to get ID in the new name?

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    I think you should at least be able to get your name changed at the social security office & get a new driver's license & credit cards within 3 months.  I'd call the SS office and ask/confirm how long it will take to change  officially.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    A woman I work with just changed her name because she got married and it didn't take long at all to change it. I agree with PP though. I would call and ask. We are going on our HM 3 weeks after the wedding so I'm waiting until we get home to change it legally. We're going out of the country for our HM and with just a few weeks between I didn't want to risk it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_name-change-and-hm-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:cb744a5c-6814-4c4f-af02-495687b5a611Post:528cfc85-d505-47f6-a978-8c1423ad4fe2">Re: name change and HM question</a>:
    [QUOTE]given the time I have no idea....but I have the same question, I am changing my name and going out of country for HM...its under my legal name now since they needed a passport number to book...do I keep it under my legal name and carry that passport  even if my name will be changed by then? Or do I call them and try and get them to change the reservation and pray that the marraige certificate is enough for them while I am waiting to get ID in the new name?
    Posted by toothpastechica[/QUOTE]

<div>Because your married name isn't official until you file more paperwork beyond the marriage license,you have to book your HM under your maiden name. As long as your drivers license and passport match the name on your boarding pass you are fine, even though you were just married and are planning to change your last name.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, I would ask the social security office or a fellow bride who changed her name in your area for a better timeline, but I think you should be fine to book the reservations in your married name.</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards