Catholic Weddings

Prayers of the Faithful

Hi Everyone,
So my fiance and I are going to be writing our own prayers for the faithful, since we didn't like the options provided. He is not Catholic. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Prayers of the Faithful

• Well there's a formula of 4 things you should pray for, and you go from larger to smaller:

-For the church

-For the government

-For the sick

-For the dead

• Do you think we could NOT do ones for the Church? Since my fiance doesn't belong to the Church?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_prayers-of-the-faithful-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:581a86c2-639d-4703-860c-caaeea454059Post:f3e4d38d-1628-40f5-8dc9-db73106481cd">Re: Prayers of the Faithful</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you think we could NOT do ones for the Church? Since my fiance doesn't belong to the Church?
    Posted by S+G[/QUOTE]

<div>Absolutely not. It is part of the lturgy. Even though he's not catholic, all the more reason to pray for the church. I wouldn't understand why you wouldn't want to?</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • why would you not pray for the church?  you are catholic.  i understand that your FI isnt, but that doesnt mean you give up all things catholic for your ceremony.  and its one part - you can still have prayers for other things too.
  • maggieandreymaggieandrey member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2012

These are the ones we are using. We used kind of a modge podge of sources to stick with the four points carrie mentioned and tailor them to us.

For our Holy Father on earth, the Pope, all the bishops and clergy everywhere that they may lead us to deeper faith in God and a stronger love for others,

For our president and all leaders of government, that they may be effective in achieving peace and eliminating poverty,

For all married couples, that they may continue to give, be able to forgive, and find happiness deepen with the passing of each day,

For Maggie and Rey, now beginning their life together, that they may have divine assistance at every moment, the rich blessing of children, a warm love reaching out to others, and good health until a ripe old age,

For the relatives and friends joining us today, and for those that could not be with us, that may they continue to share in the joy and celebration on the rest of our life journey,

For the departed, who remain with us in our prayers and our memories, and for the promise of a joyful reunion; May their souls, through the mercy of God, rest in peace,

(I'd love to hear anyone else's feedback too...)

image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The ones we used are in my planning bio (link in signature). We modified those found in the together for life book. You can also do a google search and find some good suggestions.

I agree with previous posters that you should absolutely pray for the Church, and you shouldn't shy away from doing "Catholic things" for your ceremony even though your fiance is not Catholic. While my husband and I are both Catholic, a lot of my family is not, so I do understand being a little concerned about how non-Catholics will react to the wedding ceremony. I really wanted my friends and family to have a positive experience of the Church at my wedding especially because I know a few of them have prejudices and false ideas about what it is we believe. So I tried to include things in the program that explained what we were doing and why and make it easy to follow along, but ultimately you have chosen to have a Catholic ceremony so you shouldn't try to make it less Catholic feeling. And hopefully everyone can respect that.

When praying for the Church you can include a line something like

For the Church and those who serve the Church and for all people who
    preach and practice the Gospel of Christ, we pray to the Lord.

maybe this wording would appeal more to your non-Catholic FI?

• Perhaps a prayers for all the faithful, that we may one day be united as Children of God?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_prayers-of-the-faithful-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:581a86c2-639d-4703-860c-caaeea454059Post:267d4ba4-ea64-40b2-9fb1-9b6970839223">Re: Prayers of the Faithful</a>:
    [QUOTE]Perhaps a prayers for all the faithful, that we may one day be united as Children of God?
    Posted by meltoine[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for this idea! I might use something along these lines. It's not that I don't want to pray for the Church (obviously), but I was trying to get a wording that was more inclusive of all the people attending the wedding, since my fiance, his family, and a lot of our friends aren't Catholic. I want something that he and they are comfortable with. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards