African American Weddings
Options

Question for ladies who have been to "Brazil"

I've decided to take the plunge since we're leaving for our HM the Monday after our wedding and I'll probably be in swim suits and bikinis the entire time. My wedding is 3 weeks away - when would be the best time to get this done? (Keep in mind that this will be my first time ever! and I don't want any "weird" feelings on my wedding day lol). Also, is it better to shave first or just go as is - with the full "bush" (for lack of a better term lol)...sorry if TMI haha
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question for ladies who have been to "Brazil"

• Options
    EsquireJLEsquireJL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gurllll I was wondering about the same thing. I am curious to see the responses.
    I think I am just going to shave because I have sensitive skin.

OMG our weddings are 3.5 weeks away!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    msapril0730msapril0730 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did a trim a small trim before I went. The lady who did mine actually trimmed me more before doing the actual wax. I would get it maybe 3 days before the wedding because you may feel a bit weird since its your first time. It also made almost every touch very sensitive for me (in a good way) so just to get use to the feeling I would go a few day s before the wedding. I have sensitive skin but the wax didn't cause me any issues at all.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I got my done the day before the wedding for the first time.  It wasn't by plan but the lady who I wanted to go to was out of town and didn't get back till the day before the wedding.  I didn't trim anything she told me not to because it made it easier with it being my first time.  She did give me a numbing cream to put on the area 40 minutes before my appointment and told me to take ibuprofen about 20 minutes before.  For me it only hurt on the top part and after that I was fine.  It didn't hurt at all after and I was fine which surprised me because so many people had said that it could be some issues for a few days. Other than the sensitive in a good way like Ms. April said I was fine. 

I told hubby about my trip to Brazil during our first dance and it was priceless, he stopped moving and was like for real and was ready to go to the room.  It did build the anticipation leading up to when we were finally alone so if you want to give him a hint you could do it then.

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_question-ladies-brazil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:fe9e06f9-d078-4114-92f8-41427ee3ad2ePost:c1a899c4-0d2d-437b-b292-df34e17013cc">Re: Question for ladies who have been to "Brazil"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got my done the day before the wedding for the first time.  It wasn't by plan but the lady who I wanted to go to was out of town and didn't get back till the day before the wedding.  I didn't trim anything she told me not to because it made it easier with it being my first time.  She did give me a numbing cream to put on the area 40 minutes before my appointment and told me to take ibuprofen about 20 minutes before.  For me it only hurt on the top part and after that I was fine.  It didn't hurt at all after and I was fine which surprised me because so many people had said that it could be some issues for a few days. Other than the sensitive in a good way like Ms. April said I was fine.  I<strong> told hubby about my trip to Brazil during our first dance and it was priceless, he stopped moving and was like for real and was ready to go to the room.  It did build the anticipation leading up to when we were finally alone so if you want to give him a hint you could do it then.</strong>
    Posted by flasweetheart[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That is amazing! I hope that was caught in a pic somewhere. I'm considering doing it the week of our wedding also or right after depending on when we leave for our honeymoon. I'm taking in all this info.

</div>
    " he's the perfect rhyme to a tight beat." Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations on taking the plunge. :-)

I got mine 3 days before the wedding and I go every 4-5 weeks.  No need to shave, the full bush will be fine (lol, that sounds weird saying that). Trimming could if there's a whole bunch of hair.  Also my lady told a less expensive route is to get a full bikini, but that will only work if you're not super hairy and then either 3rd time you go to get a full on brazilian. 

HTH
  • Options
    hatroopeshatroopes member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_question-ladies-brazil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:fe9e06f9-d078-4114-92f8-41427ee3ad2ePost:72252b02-93cd-4a56-9f53-7d2c90012dc3">Re: Question for ladies who have been to "Brazil"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gurllll I was wondering about the same thing. I am curious to see the responses. I think I am just going to shave because I have sensitive skin. <strong>OMG our weddings are 3.5 weeks away!!!</strong>
    Posted by EsquireJL[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm still in shock!!!</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_question-ladies-brazil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:fe9e06f9-d078-4114-92f8-41427ee3ad2ePost:b9c52e9f-ad21-41fc-a9c1-1bf34aa95168">Re: Question for ladies who have been to "Brazil"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did a trim a small trim before I went. The lady who did mine actually trimmed me more before doing the actual wax. I would get it maybe 3 days before the wedding because you may feel a bit weird since its your first time. <strong>It also made almost every touch very sensitive for me (in a good way) </strong>so just to get use to the feeling I would go a few day s before the wedding. I have sensitive skin but the wax didn't cause me any issues at all.
    Posted by msapril0730[/QUOTE]

<div>hmmm...good to know</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_question-ladies-brazil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:fe9e06f9-d078-4114-92f8-41427ee3ad2ePost:13517e57-2fa2-499a-bb10-922be8f03b22">Re: Question for ladies who have been to "Brazil"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations on taking the plunge. :-) I got mine 3 days before the wedding and I go every 4-5 weeks.  No need to shave, the full bush will be fine (lol, that sounds weird saying that). Trimming could if there's a whole bunch of hair.  Also my lady told a less expensive route is to get a full bikini, but that will only work if you're not super hairy and then either 3rd time you go to get a full on brazilian.  HTH
    Posted by wallacje[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for the tip - I'm not super hairy at all, so I may go that route</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh wow ... I did it once a long time ago and I know I was in pain for a day or so.... but  I plan to do it again for the wedding.... Let me know how it urns out
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KnaijaQueenKnaijaQueen member
    edited December 2011
    I made the trip to Brazil and decided to stay permanently. I lasered that baby and haven't looked back since.
  • Options
    mlewis85mlewis85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL at KnaijaQueen!  I am a regular waxer but never considered lasering.  Might have to add that to my list of things to look into.

OP,  I would do it 5 days in advance.  You will be a little tender after it is done and you don't want that being a bother on your wedding day.  I waited 4 months in between appointments once and it was sensitive for days! 

Also, depending on how "full" you are down there now, you have the potential for ingrown hairs.  Doing it 5 days in advance will give time for the tenderness to go away and allow you to treat any irritation you might have.  There are a lot of products out there that will help pull the hair out chemically without causing further irritation.

And, this might just be a personal problem but I always find remnant wax in the strangest places a few days after I get it done.  Maybe the lady that does mine just is too eager about getting in the cracks and crevices but I find it in places that I never would have thought to look.  Just in case that is an issue for you it will give you time to get it all out lol

As for when you actually go I would STRONGLY recommend you take a caffiene pill and a pain reliever.  My favorite is prescription strength Motrin.  You can also get numbing spray from a beauty supply store like Sally's.

DO NOT shave before you go!  It will irritate your skin and make things worse for you.  Feel free to cut the hair down to an appropriate length (around 1/4 inch) before you go.  Longer hair is more painful to snatch but then again so is hair that is too short.

If you want a landing strip or a design (sounds cheesy but some of them are really cute) make sure you tell them before you start or they will strip you bald.

Sorry this is so long but HTH! Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @Mlewis85 - thanks for the tips! I never thought of a landing strip, but that is something to consider - it will definitely be a surprise to the FH since he won't be expecting anything like that from me.
  • Options
    EsquireJLEsquireJL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WOW. Information overload lol. Thanks ladies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    irons633irons633 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well thanks for input ladies! Have been thinking about going to "Brazil" as well and think I may take that "trip"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Any suggestions on where to go in Atlanta?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lataschalatascha member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love it!  I go at least once a month.  Not to be manish, but I love the way IT feels when I walk out of the place after I get waxed, lol!  If I'm ever too busy to go get waxed and the "bush" is getting out of control I use Nair at home and that works as well.
  • Options
    DancerppfDancerppf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did it the week b4 because I had a destination wedding. I'd suggest 3-5 days before.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards