Snarky Brides

I may become a snarky bride soon! NEW tattoo post ;-)

Ok, ok I admit I was influenced by that "other" recent tattoo post but this time, the tattoo is mine (the bride).
I have a big tattoo on the right side of my upper back. I was a bad decision that I made while in a very dysfunctional relationship. He turned out to be abusive & actually designed the tattoo. It is a bit explicit & definitely not to everyone's taste. I don't even like it myself but my
FI is okay with it, even thinks it's kind of sexy because I am a very laid-back, outdoorsy girl with a sunny disposition & the tattoo is such a contradiction. I would have it removed in a heartbeat if I could afford it & had the time to do so before the wedding. I was going to choose a dress solely based on whether it could cover it. Then I started trying them on & fell in love with my strapless dress. Loved the look & feel & decided I had to have it. I also had mum's support & she hates the tattoo more than anyone. But my FMIL & FSIL have made in clear that they EXPECT it to be covered up, with makeup, a cover-up shawl or bolero, anything. I've ordered these tattoo cover-up skins & have asked my stylist for a tattoo cover with makeup at my trial but if these don't look good, I'm going all natural, take me as I am. Their family is old school Italian & I know they think I will embarrass them. But even my mom says that with the dress & veil & my long hair, you don't even notice what the tattoo is. Yes, you know it's there but people are looking at the whole me, not just the tattoo. I'm afraid of static on my wedding day or even at some point before then stemming from their realization that it won’t be covered. Just like most of us, I do not enjoy confrontation & hate to disappoint others, especially my new family-in-law.  I know many people will tell me to think &/or say: "It's my day...explain that this is my choice, please accept it." But that is hard to do…sounds easy but once you actually have to say those words, not so easy anymore. Also, I am talking about a very nice family who has treated my very well & been very accepting but who are very emotional & specific about their expectations. Even the tinniest little decisions or problems cause hours of discussion. To be honest, I am spending time & energy worrying about this & going over it in my head..I guess I just needed to vent but would love any feedback or replies.  . Any guidance or advice or stories of similar situations from my girls???

Re: I may become a snarky bride soon! NEW tattoo post ;-)

• Have you tried tattoo covering makeup? I would mess around with your options before getting nervous about your IL's.
  • Dude.  What is the tattoo of? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_i-may-become-a-snarky-bride-soon-new-tattoo-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0edbbb8c-6a03-43f2-a70d-39864d955dd4Post:4d679a23-39e5-4a35-a453-fd5665e07508">Re: I may become a snarky bride soon! NEW tattoo post ;-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Paragraphs are your friend. 
    Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]

<div>AND a bigger font.  I thought I had perfect eyesight until that :(</div>
  • I haven't been in a similar situation but I would be pissed if my MIL or SIL EXPECTED me to cover my tattoo at my wedding, even if they were nice people. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • 1.  What is it of?
    2. Ditto the cover up and makeup if it's that worrisome.... When I met Kat von D a year or two ago she had everything covered up.  It didn't look bad at all.  Your makeup artist should know how to blend everything so that it looks natural.
  • I wouldn't cover up my tattoos.  That's just me though.  What is it a tattoo of?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • I think you have a generally good attitude about the tattoo - but if you do decide to bare it all, don't let other people ride you about the tat.  People who truly love you and are happy for you will not give two shiits about it.  Seriously?  If a person can look at a beautiful bride and only notice a stupid tattoo, then they're a serious thunderdouche.

And yeah what is the tattoo of?
    panther
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_i-may-become-a-snarky-bride-soon-new-tattoo-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0edbbb8c-6a03-43f2-a70d-39864d955dd4Post:aea5630d-18c1-4db9-b7d4-a690b6b9cf20">Re: I may become a snarky bride soon! NEW tattoo post ;-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]1.  What is it of? 2. Ditto the cover up and makeup if it's that worrisome.... When I met Kat von D a year or two ago she had everything covered up.  It didn't look bad at all.  Your makeup artist should know how to blend everything so that it looks natural.
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

<div>ETA:  I do agree with Hike unless it's like the middle finger or a picture of a peen or something... </div><div>I mean, regardless it IS a part of you so they should just accept the fact that you have a tat.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA 2: I meant to edit not quote...</div>
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: I may become a snarky bride soon! NEW tattoo post ;-):
    [QUOTE]I think you have a generally good attitude about the tattoo - but if you do decide to bare it all, don't let other people ride you about the tat.  People who truly love you and are happy for you will not give two shiits about it.  Seriously?  If a person can look at a beautiful bride and only notice a stupid tattoo, then they're a serious thunderdouche. And yeah what is the tattoo of?
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

I thought she said she didn't like it.  I'm confused.

eta: WTF I SUCK AT COMPUTER SKILLZ.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_i-may-become-a-snarky-bride-soon-new-tattoo-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0edbbb8c-6a03-43f2-a70d-39864d955dd4Post:287574f1-8cbb-45b6-b7ac-c01d58b0c533">Re: I may become a snarky bride soon! NEW tattoo post ;-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I may become a snarky bride soon! NEW tattoo post ;-) : [QUOTE ]I think you have a generally good attitude about the tattoo - but if you do decide to bare it all, don't let other people ride you about the tat.  People who truly love you and are happy for you will not give two shiits about it.  Seriously?  If a person can look at a beautiful bride and only notice a stupid tattoo, then they're a serious thunderdouche. And yeah what is the tattoo of? Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE] I thought she said she didn't like it.  I'm confused. eta: WTF I SUCK AT COMPUTER SKILLZ.
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

She says she doesn't like the tattoo, but that if she can't find something to cover it and make it look okay then she'll just let 'er buck.  Good for her.
    panther
  • I really expected to see a pic of your new SB related tattoo in here.  Color me disappointed. 
  • I'm interested in this semi-explicit tattoo.. please share.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I have a tattoo of the SB crest on my ass.  And if you don't know the SB crest then you obviously suck.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_i-may-become-a-snarky-bride-soon-new-tattoo-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0edbbb8c-6a03-43f2-a70d-39864d955dd4Post:27410af3-67d5-4bbd-b650-3aa496247820">Re: I may become a snarky bride soon! NEW tattoo post ;-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you have a generally good attitude about the tattoo - but if you do decide to bare it all, don't let other people ride you about the tat.  People who truly love you and are happy for you will not give two shiits about it.  Seriously?  If a person can look at a beautiful bride and only notice a stupid tattoo, then they're a serious thunderdouche. And yeah what is the tattoo of?
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% 
    The tat is really not their concern.  Its your body!  But, if you do want to cover it I have seen other women get their tat airbrushed and it really does look good (considering the airbrushing is done by a experienced professional)
  • If you absolutely must cover it, try this stuff:
    http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P231113&categoryId=C18697

It's the Kat Von D tattoo concealer. I haven't used it but from what I've seen it works pretty well. You might have to get the tattoo eraser too.
  • I have a very dark chest piece (you may be able to see it in my pic) and I covered it when I was MOH in a friend's wedding a while back. The bride's sister, who does stage make-up for local plays, used Dermablend to cover it up, which worked wonderfully. However, it took several coats (and A LOT of time and effort). Then, during the outdoor pictures, we got caught in a freak downpour and all of the make-up ran and got all over the staps and inside (luckily) of the dress. So, I had to wash it off (it was still raining and I decided it wasn't worth re-applying the make-up, even if we had the time) and I tucked the straps of the dress (it was halter top style) so that it looked as if I had a strapless dress for the reception.

Overall, I think (from personal experience) that covering a tattoo is more work than necessary. But, if you decide to do so, I recommend Dermablend and staying out of the rain.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_i-may-become-a-snarky-bride-soon-new-tattoo-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0edbbb8c-6a03-43f2-a70d-39864d955dd4Post:d6126020-060a-477d-89f7-913b6807d72e">Re: I may become a snarky bride soon! NEW tattoo post ;-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really expected to see a pic of your new SB related tattoo in here.  Color me disappointed. 
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Sads.

ETA: iPod auto-corrects sads to scads. Wtf is that?

• My opinion is that whatever you decide, and I don't think it is anyone's decision but your own, is that you prepare the ILs so that any confrontation/argument happens before the wedding and not AT the wedding.
    NeedWeddingFavors.com - A blog of wedding favors
  • How long is your hair? Could you compromise and wear it down / half-down for the cermony and then do whatever you want with it during the reception?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards