Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Open Buffet Reception

Does anyone find it odd that my fiance wants to do an open reception where we have a local food vendor cater in? He doesn't want it to be formal where you have a nice sit down dinner due to cost with the amount of guests that will be attending? ""theres over 200 people attending""

Re: Open Buffet Reception

• Options
    What do you mean by open?  Anyone can attend?  Or do you mean you'll invite your guests and there is a buffet instead of a plated meal?

Buffet instead of plated meal is VERY common and perfectly fine and acceptable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am doing a buffet.  My family hates sit down because they like choices, and if you do something like a steak, it may not be done to your guests preference.  Plus they take longer.  So that's why I went with buffet, but my reception is still fairly formal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh and also, we had a buffet type reception and it was still pretty formal.  Pics in bio of our reception.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Meaning with open reception that not everyone who attends the ceremony will make it to the reception and vise versa. Hes afraid that having a formal plated dinner will be a problem for us with our budget. Also theres people that he wants to just invite to the reception to celebrate.

• Options
    The part about not inviting everybody to both parts is problematic.  Inviting people to the ceremony and not the reception is horribly rude.  Inviting people to the reception and not the ceremony can work if you are having a VERY small ceremony, but if you're just adding 15 people on to the reception it's not a good idea.

Having a buffet rather than a sit-down dinner is independent of that, and is fine.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    So wait.  You're not including everyone invited to the ceremony (the over 200 people) to the reception?  If that's what you mean, that is VERY rude. 

If you can't afford to feed the 200+ on your guest list, you have a couple of options:

#1)  Cut the guest list to what you can afford.

#2)  Listen to your FI and have a less expensive meal.

The option that you don't have is to invite 200+ people to the ceremony, and only a smaller percentage to the party afterward.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_open-buffet-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:45862d80-0570-4259-98b4-9dd34181c422Post:0501c392-3e01-43ef-a5c8-5d3c9d201e14">Open Buffet Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone find it odd that my fiance wants to do an open reception where we have a local food vendor cater in? He doesn't want it to be formal where you have a nice sit down dinner due to cost with the amount of guests that will be attending? ""theres over 200 people attending""
    Posted by jake&jessi[/QUOTE]
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I found that at a lot of places, buffets cost just the same if not more than a sit-down! I personally like the idea of a buffet better, you aren't forced to sit and eat at a certain time- however, our reception venue had a cheaper sit-down meal so we went with that.
    Do what's right for YOU and your fiancee- that's my advice! :)
    file:///C:/Users/Erin/Desktop/C-8359.jpg
  • Options
    Definitely beware of the buffet costs.  While some buffets are all-you-can-eat and a simple price per head, some other places will charge you per PLATE (not per person, but by per plate used), and a few places will even charge by the amount of food consumed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i think it is rudenot to invite people to the recption that you did invite to the ceremony. maybe you guys could have a dessert recption after the ceremony and have the people you really wanted for your sit down dinner
  • Options

I dont see anything wront with a buffet reception.. however in my town the cheapest I have found is 9 dollars per person. You could always do a pot luck reception where the guests you invite bring their favorite dish, set it up buffet style.. then you are only out the cost of your cake, drinks, plates and utensils.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards