Military Brides

Tricare

Does anyone know whether Tricare coverage is retroactive back to the date of our marriage, or will it start when I complete the paperwork. Thanks!

Re: Tricare

• K&JChristieK&JChristie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my mother believes it is retoractive to the date of marriag but isnt positive because they were married before date of inlistment. Just make sure HE adds you in DEERS cause it cant begin till you are added to his DEERS.
  • edited December 2011
    i use to work for the TRICARE office....it does back date to the date of marriage, but you'll only be on standard meaning it's a 80/20 (you paying 20%) of what TRICARE is allowing...
  • k9lvtk9lvt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just went through this about 3 days ago! Haha
    My Fi and I got legally married last month to get all of the paperwork over with before our ceremony 5-15-11.
    Tricare Standard does start after the day of marriage, but go to the DEERS with him ASAP to get your military ID and get you into the system. 
    You can keep the Tricare Standard, which is now 80/15, at least that's what the lady told me the other day, and it's $150 a year.
    You'll have to go to the hospital on base and fill out paperwork if you want to switch to Prime. Even if you want to keep standard, I recommend going to the Tricare office and being explained your options and seeing what would work best for you. It's pretty detailed and confusing, but it's good to know what options you have. Smile
    I imagined my life without my dogs once...it was the worst 30 seconds of my life.
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_tricare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:4ac6af30-daee-404f-85e7-585604ea1ff1Post:8d522ce5-3a00-4c30-9dbc-5a354bdbf60e">Re: Tricare</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just went through this about 3 days ago! Haha My Fi and I got legally married last month to get all of the paperwork over with before our ceremony 5-15-11.  
    Posted by k9lvt[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I know this is going to make me mean Stan yet again, but he's not your FI anymore, he's your husband.

</div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011
    Tricare Prime is totally worth it. And don't forget to register for Dental... its not included, you have to ask for it, but it can come directly out of his pay just like any other health insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards