Not Engaged Yet
Options

How has your SO changed you?

And I don't mean that in the negative, "What did you change about yourself to make your SO like you?" kind of way. (I hope the answer is "Nothing", but anyway...)

I mean, what has he introduced you to that you would otherwise might never have discovered (be it hobbies, types of entertainment, foods, even opinions)?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.

Re: How has your SO changed you?

• Options
    polkadot111polkadot111 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Weather. My FI is a nerd to the extreme. He loves weather. If there is a storm, he's driving around checking it out. When the tornado hit, he was outside driving around trying to see it. When there's a storm, forget having time together!! hahaha. He did make me like weather more though- I now know lots of cloud types and how weather works. I sort of like it now, just a little.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI changed me in a lot of ways.  I'm a lot more even-keeled now than I used to be.  I love to snuggle now.  I'm more reasonable about budgets.  My political views have become more conservative (on fiscal issues, at least).
  • Options
    Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was 25lbs lighter when we met.  Falling in love made me fat.

ETA: He got me into playing Poker and Blackjack.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He's pushed me to work harder, at everything, and I really appreciate it. He has an incredible work ethic, which I admire in him, so I'm glad it's rubbed off on me.

He's also got me doing more outdoorsey things than ever before. I love it! It's just not something I ever did before, because I had no one to do it with.

We challenge one another's opinions, and as a result, I've changed some of mine. We are each open minded and closed minded on different things, and I know that some of his opinions have changed as a result of me as well.

And finally, once I'm done school, I hope to get into photography with him. I simply do not have the time (or money) to do so right now, but I really want to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He's always reminding me that I can't plan out my life perfectly. Life just doesn't turn out that way, and sometimes you need to go with it.

I think we just balance each other out in the ways we need to. We both tend to be extremes, so it can be really  hard to understand the other's POV. I think it's healthy that it's something we can learn to work with NOW when we're younger and more adaptable to change.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My BF has helped support me while I payed off the debt I was left with after my Ex-FI and I split. It was hard but it is gone and now we have plans to purchase a home before the end of the year :) Also, he helped me to get healthy. I have lost about 20lbs since moving in with him in January. He has showed me how to avoid crappy food and brought back my sense of adventure when it come to cooking.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He has definitely gotten me more interested in what's going on in the world instead of living in my own little bubble. He's also gotten me to love the outdoors again, because I didn't have anyone to do it with before either. He has also gotten me to feel comfortable being myself, and that's something nobody has ever done for me.

I also know more about birds than I ever have or ever thought I'd need to know. He can also be a tad bit nerdy, but it's cute, and I think it's fun to have him teach me about something he enjoys so much.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_changed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:26523a06-4429-4545-bdf6-431793f9dce3Post:586d7d6d-5915-4da9-a888-029c080950d8">Re: How has your SO changed you?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was 25lbs lighter when we met.  Falling in love made me fat. Posted by Wrkn925[/QUOTE]

This. Damn jerk.

Also, the History Channel and Discovery Channel. I am also better with money (I was never terrible, but he is quite smart with it and it rubs off), and better about getting car stuff done (oil changes, inspection stickers, getting minor things fixed at the mechanic, etc). He doesn't like me to assume he will do it, which I tend to do because I grew up with my dad taking care of all that because it was "guy stuff". We have gotten in arguments about it because I just want him to understand why it makes me uncomfortable to do it, and be nice and take care of me. His argument is that I should face my discomfort, and that he doesn't want me to have to rely on him for anything that I can't do myself, because I deserve to be self-reliant and independent.

Him and his stupid good logic....
  • Options
    becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Two things I never thought I'd ever do:

skydiving (seriously!)

and scubadiving (what's with all this diving?)

...so basically, he's definitely gotten me out of my comfort zone on occassion, but I've had some really awesome experiences with him.  And when we're not having adventures, which is most of the time, he makes me laugh really, really hard.  And snort.  He made me into a snorter. 

We're going diving this weekend so I can get my advanced open water certification.  Yay!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He has definitely chiled me out a little bit. I was really high strung and now I'd like to think I am less so.

Also- travel. I hadn't been much of anywhere before I met him. He's taken me on a cruise, lots of road trips, and to Thailand!
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• Options
    cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Great question, Beads! BF has gotten me into triathlons and half-marathons. I was already a runner, but seeing his passion for competing (and even his passion for training) has been an inspiration. I'm now considering doing a marathon someday, and maybe a few longer triathlons.

Also, he has made me less lazy. His love language is the one about 'doing things for him.' For example, before I left this morning, I put away the clean dishes. The old me wouldn't have even noticed them. So I try to take five minutes a day, look around the house and find something that he'd end up doing if I didn't. It makes me feel less like a slacker and keeps him happy at the same time! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    To be honest, as I was thinking about this he really hasn't changed me or introduced me to anything that I wouldn't have done on my own.  I guess in one way he's just enhanced what I was already interested in.  I knew how to surf but he made it so I could go surfing anytime I wanted now.  I liked the outdoors but didn't get to go often and now I try to go every weekend.  He has introduced me to the Wheel of Time series of books and I like them. 

I on the other hand have gotten him hooked on obstacle and mud races. 
  • Options
    sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He got me into powerlifting, which is something I don't think I would have ever started on my own. He also introduced me to Indian and Thai food, and now I can't get enough of them. My family isn't the most adventurous when it comes to trying new cuisine :( My political views have become a lot more liberal over the years as well, and part of that is because of him.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually having trouble thinking of things; one of the things that brought us together in the first place was that our interests are already very similar.

He's made me more conscious about money.  I'm still pretty bad at managing my finances, but I am better now than I was.  I'm also more aware of what I need to do, so I can't blame ignorance anymore.

I'm also trying really, really hard to get into winter sports (mainly skiing) because he loves them so much.  I'm not quite there yet, but I'm closer.

I've gotten him into eating dessert and sleeping late -- two things he was never that big on before he met me.  I'm a great influence.
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I've always wanted to travel, but with FI we actually do it.  I used to always think it was something that I would do "one day" but FI has helped me get out of my comfort zone of just wishing things and actually making me do it.  He took me to Hawaii for my college graduation, we went to Puerto Rico last year, went back to Hawaii, going to Mexico for our HM, and planning a trip to France next summer to visit family.  If it were just me, these trips would have been years apart.

I've influenced his food choices too.  I'm pretty adventerous with food, I'll try pretty much anything that looks good and FI always played it safe.  He'd never even tried calamari until we started dating.  Now he's a little more willing to try stuff he's never had before.

We also both started scuba diving together, it was new for both of us and we both really loved it.  We are starting our Rescue Diver course in a few weeks and hope to have our Divemaster by the end of the summer.  I'm glad we have an activity that we really enjoy doing together (except he's a terrible dive buddy, lol...he goes through his air like a maniac so we always have to end our dives when I still have like 1000PSI)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Ya he has, but in good ways.  He has taught me to be more patient, hard working, proud of myself, helped me with my self esteem/insecurity issues, and helped me be better with money and cars.  But we balance each other out.  I have taught him to dream, want to travel, have fun, and enjoy the outdoors more. 
    Really I feel like he has helped me to live a better life, one that I enjoy and like to live in.  Not that I necessarily need him to do this but he helped me get that way.  That is a part of the reasons why I love him. 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    well, we own a pizza shop together (which he went to college for/was his dream) and i absolutely wouldn't have done otherwise. so being a SBA is pretty nice, even though I'll be a SBA and an RN next year lol.

Other than that, I'd say like motolyn he has just enchanced things I already liked to do. We are very similar in what we like to do, eat, etc.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My BF makes me realise when I'm being irrational and always always calms me down when things get stressful. He also changed me in a positive way to make me tell him when I'm sad or angry about something. I always used to bottle things up but BF is so patient and waits for the me to tell him when I'm ready but makes me get it off my chest. I've learnt so much about being in a loving, balanced relationship from him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I cook and I garden... essentially in being around him I occassionally slow down and I enjoy being around the house(s). Before I was always flitting off to somewhere for my jobs and he helped me pick a new job with less travel.

I now enjoy being around the house and working outside and just being. Oh and my mother is estatic that I've learned to cook and put all those pans she's bought me over the years to good use. It's a bit relaxing... then I drag him up a mountain :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards