Catholic Weddings

NFP Dilemma

Hello,
This board seems to be a resource for NFP, so I'm hoping someone might be able to share some advice on using NFP with amenorrhea.  I've gotten healthy again after losing too much weight as a college athlete, but I am still dealing with the hypothalamic amenorrhea (no period).  My doctor is pretty insistent that it will come back with time, but in the meantime I should be taking birth control pills to ensure that my body is getting enough estrogen for bone maintenance.  

I took the bcp for about 6 months, but stopped 9 months ago during PreCana to try and figure out NFP.  Since then I've had no fertility signs or periods.  I've read TCOYF and my fiance and I attended a Creighton intro class, but I'm not sure about investing in the Creighton class and one-on-one instruction if I don't have any CM fertility signs to discuss or chart.  Meanwhile, time is quickly running out and we're worried about the family planning situation.  There's a small section in TCOYF about anovulation, and it sounds like you should assume you are infertile until you see changes in CM patterns.  I'm just nervous that I won't recognize the signs.  My fiance wants to use NFP, but thinks we should also use a barrier method until my body gets back on track since we are TTA.

I'm trying to put this in God's hands, but I also don't want it to be a source of tension between my fiance and I.  Any encouragement or suggestions or prayers would be appreciated.  Sorry this got kind of long!  Thanks for listening.

Re: NFP Dilemma

• I think Creighton actually might be the best choice for you, because it uses technology that your doctor can use to try to treat your amenorrhea.  Have you considered seeking out an NFP-only doctor?  If you don't have one available to you I think you should remain firm that BCP is not an option you are willing to consider.  There are plenty of ways to get estrogen without all the other hormones the Pill loads you up with.

Please stick around!  There are plenty of girls here who use Creighton and have used it to diagnose (and treat) medical problems.  Fertility issues are definitely frustrating -- this is a great place to vent!
    Anniversary

• I think if you don't have ANY fertility signs like CM, then it's pretty safe to assume that you won't get pregnant. Just pay attention for the slightest change to any slippery sensations on the toilet paper! (although, my understanding is that even though Creighton doesn't utilize the "sensation" observation; it is one of the first signals of fertility.)

But, with that being said, if you ever have ANY desire to get pregnant, it's obviously really important to figure out why you're not ovulating. I don't see many other options besides working with a specially-trained Napro doctor. Perhaps you could read "The Napro Revolution?" (I've never read it - does anyone know if it addresses non-ovulation? I'm sure it must.)
    Anniversary
  • I agree with pp. Don't go back on BC pills - they will make matters worse! You need to find out what exactly is preventing ovulation. If it is an estrogen deficiency, you can treat that without BC pills. Whether you want to be pregnant or not, it is always better to get your reproductive system up-and-working. NFP will also be easier if you can get there. Please use us as a sounding board. Many of the ladies here have been using NFP to help with their reproductive health problems and we can all offer support.

You will be in my prayers!
  • Creighton method does utilize sensation
  • Add me to the chorus of people who would strongly advise against the pill. If you were on it, you wouldn't know if your cycles had regulated themselves or not anyway! An NFP doctor (check out omsoul.com) will treat the cause of your problems, not mask them, and many do long distance consults. I would contact a Creighton instructor and get started asap.

I would also avoid barriers, as they are morally no different than any other contraceptive.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards