Christian Weddings
Options

Some random thoughts

I was doing my devotions this morning and I came across a passage I read many times before in Mark. Jesus is speaking to his disciples about the end times and he mentions about war, rumors of war, and also the labor pains of the earth in forms in earthquakes. I remember when all the earthquakes started at the beginning of this year (Haiti, Chile, Turkey, Taiwan, were there others as well?) and I heard some various mentions that it was a sign of the end of the earth. Has anyone ever thought much about that? I know there is always speculations about certain things (I admit, when Obama was first elected I honestly thought he may be the anti-Christ...lol) and there was the Left Behind series and all kind of apocalytpic teachings. But I remember one time someone told me that the end times is not something we should be afraid of, because if we, as Christians, are faithfully praying to God, it will be a joyful time.

Now I'm not saying I believe the earthquakes were a sign, or that like the very charismatic church I used to attend believed we truly are in the last days...but I remember when I was younger, and people would talk about things like this, I'd be like "Please God, just let me get married first before you come back...!" Am I alone in having thoughts like that? Because I feel like its pretty common. I remember in a class I took in college we had to read this book called "Six Dangerous Questions to Transform your View of the World". One quesiton was Do you believe in Heaven? And I was like well of COURSE I believe in heaven! Then right at the beginning of the chapter it talked about people who had stipulations or criteria for when God is "allowed" to come back...and I realized I was one of those people. But I think it is only human...and now that I'm so close to that mark...I still feel really guilty, but i keep thinking that yes we don't know the day, but God please just let me get married in less than 7 months before you decide to come back...!

I know, crazy, and really when the time comes for him to come back, if its in our lifetime, I'm not going to be like "Darn it God, you couldn't just wait for (insert important life event here) to happen?" But in our humanity, we do that...

Anyway, completely random thoughts that I knew I could post here, even if you ladies think I'm crazy now lol.

Re: Some random thoughts

• Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I just want you to know that I've had the EXACT same thoughts as you since I read the Left Behind books as they came out.  It's selfish and ridiculous, and I know that if the rapture actually does occur before June 11th, I won't be mad. :)
    The larger earthquakes this past year did grab my attention, but I was raised in an environment of "Live your life for Christ until you're on the way up."  We just have to remember that no one is going to know when it's happening until it happens...and the only One who has foreknowledge is God the Father.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Exactly!! And every time people start "predicting" the coming of Christ I just remind myself that #1, Jesus said no one will know the day and #2, people have been predicted the end of times since Jesus told us there was going to BE an end of times!!! For centuries people thought they had the date and they have yet to be correct...and they won't be, because Jesus said so!!
  • Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

FI and I had the exact same thoughts! We were sitting in his car one day just chatting after church, and decided (a bit jokingly) that our prayer would be for Jesus to come quickly, but not until after the wedding and honeymoon! ;)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If the Lord wants to come back before we're married... shoot, Heaven's gonna be AWESOME!  I'll be excited either way.  Interesting post.  I'm not sure about the whole "last days" thing, and I know some religious figures in the press kept saying stuff about that when Obama was elected, and the earthquakes around the world, and now we're hearing about Obama's "Indian" childhood (in India) etc... I don't know and I certainly hope that the "antichrist" isn't coming soon, because I cannot IMAGINE seeing the rise of the AC, but it is what it is.  God has a plan and I'm just going to trust that he'll take care of us !!! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dear OP,
    Get out of my head!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is definately normal to have questions or thoughts about the end times. I certainly have especially with all that has been happening this year! What it does is remind me to take heed of my life and choices in life. It helps me ( as well as other Christians) to stay focused and keep my Relationship with God strong. We don't know when the end will be and yes it would be nice to be married before then but I rather be caught up in the rapture than be married and left behind.
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had some of the same thoughts but I was more anxious for the wedding night to happen than the wedding day.  Smile

I'm happy to say that we made it to that wonderful day and I hope the same for the rest of you all.  But as Kelly said, Heaven will be amazing and it is certainly something to look forward to.  I try not to focus on when Christ returns, but am I living the life that I should live so that when He does return or takes me home, I can feel confident that He will say, "Well done, good and faithful servant".  I really want to hear those words.

As for the things that are happening, it is true that the Bible signifies that these things will happen in the end times, but it could be hours away or decades away so enjoy each day and happy wedding planning!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_random-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:696b3cb3-d5af-40c5-8f3e-516a32a82293Post:3bbc9af3-96f8-47e5-852a-14531829d922">Re: Some random thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE] As for the things that are happening, it is true that the Bible signifies that these things will happen in the end times, but it could be hours away or decades away so enjoy each day and happy wedding planning!!
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better!
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_random-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:696b3cb3-d5af-40c5-8f3e-516a32a82293Post:6af2a3b5-2b6f-4ebc-bb8f-59cce27f3a35">Re: Some random thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Exactly!! And every time people start "predicting" the coming of Christ I just remind myself that #1, Jesus said no one will know the day and #2, people have been predicted the end of times since Jesus told us there was going to BE an end of times!!! For centuries people thought they had the date and they have yet to be correct...and they won't be, because Jesus said so!!
    Posted by rachelea[/QUOTE]

Very good point. Also, I think it's interesting to note that God's idea of "time" is very different from ours. "Soon" is a relative term. So who really knows, and what good does it do to focus on the end days? We were given a purpose to live out on earth <u>now.</u> The second coming could come at any moment, and that is why it's important that we are always prepared for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards