Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Reception Music

Hello, I wanted to ask for opinions on reception music. I am currently getting my masters degree in music performance, so music is very important to me. I would love to have a live, full big band, but simply cannot afford one. What do you think would go over better at a wedding reception at a 300 person, WI wedding. 
1) A jazz combo made up of male/female vocals, piano, drum set, bass, trumpet, and saxophone, playing mostly swing tunes (possibly include a short 15 minute swing dance lesson to get people going with a few moves)
2) DJ
I love music from the swing era, so I am drawn to the live music group, but am nervous not many guests will dance to a smaller combo. What would you suggest? What is more dancable/enjoyable (there will be a lot of friends in their 20s who should dance).
Thanks for the help!
-Bride born in the wrong era :P

Re: Reception Music

• Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think if the live musicians can do party songs that are familiar to all, then go with live.  If that's not possible for the combo, then DJ is the way to go.

I also love music from the swing era, and I swing dance myself.  While it might sound like a good idea to have a dance lesson, I can tell you from experience that even after an hour's lesson, beginners are not going to be able to dance and would probably be happier free-styling to music they are familiar with.
  • Options
    jc04100657jc04100657 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree with PP.
    I would go with songs people are familiar with if you want everyone dancing. I wouldn't want to swing dance or learn how to swing dance at a wedding.

Anniversary

September 2011 Siggy Challenge- Favorite Ceremony Photo
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that a DJ will provide more music your guest will like! But on the other hand, this is YOUR wedding and you should have what YOU want! I think having swing dancing would be fun and could be something that guests will always remember as a unique wedding party. I'm sure you already have plenty of swing/big band songs, but here are some more ideas: http://lrossentertainment.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/big-bandjazz-music/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards