Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Is the place we picked to expensive?

We have chosen a resort in Mexico, that is fairly expensive. About $450/night  I am afraid that the ppl we invite will feel obligated to go, even if it hurts their bank accounts.  Do  you think i am just being paranoid?

Re: Is the place we picked to expensive?

• Options

Is it all inclusive?  And, is that per person rates?  That seems pretty pricey to me for a MX resort. 

imageExerciseMilestone Anniversary
  • Options
    That does seem kinda pricey...I don't think ppl will feel obligated...none of my friends do lol
  • Options
    I think if its AI it will be fine.  That is the price range we are currently looking at.  I mean part of having a DW means you understand that people may not come.  As long as you are okay with that then you need to do and pick a place that best suites what you are looking for.  :)
  • Options
    I don't know the time frame that you were looking in, but from what I have heard the most expensive times in RM is Jan through March.

If you want to lower the price, maybe you could try and change your date (unless you're set). If you are set, then just realize not everyone will be able to make it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    **Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like I am home again; Whenever I'm alone with you; You make me feel like I am whole again**
  • Options
    I think it depends on the age of your guests. I am 24 on Monday and there is no way my friends could afford $450 a night.  We choose our location so that there were options 1 AL was $200 a night, 1 was $325 and the other was $450 but during the day and night they can hang out where ever they please.
  • Options

I think that price may be a little high for Mexico...but no worries, if people can't afford it, believe me, they won't come.  But if you are really concerned about your family and friends coming, you may want to consider having an alternate resort close by for them to book at if the price at the resort you've picked is too high for them.

• Options
    edited June 2010

Honestly, I think it really depends on your circle of friends. The cheapest (get ready to puke) room at the hotel we got married at was $620 a night, and it was not an all-inclusive. The majority of our family/friends take pretty lavish vacations, so they didn't even think twice about it. I still felt bad about the cost of attending, so we provided all the meals/drinks for the 4 days of our wedding for all 85 of our guests.

For the rest of our guests (primarily our younger, single friends), we booked a block of rooms at the hotel right next door (a Westin) for $150 a night and offered free shuttle service back and forth during for wedding events. Some still splurged on Palmilla, but it was their choice.

And for those who balked at paying that much for Mexico, there are a ton of super nice, super expensive, 5-star hotels there. I can easily name 10 off the top of my head. Some (including the one I got married at) are ranked among the top 100 hotels in the world. I just don't get this whole Mexico-should-be/is-cheap school of thought. At all.

From Oy Vey to Ole!

I survived the RoLex wedding and all I got was this lousy husband.
    One&Only Palmilla - Los Cabos, Mexico
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards