Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Bridal Party yes or no?

I am conflicted on whether or not to have a bridal party. All my friends and I have been in weddings and the expense is not insignificant. My ceremony is a casual walk up to a public location on UNC Chapel Hill's campus so there wouldn't be a typical procession with music. There won't even be any chairs!

I'm looking for thoughts from other people who have considered or done their ceremony with no bridal party.

Thanks!
robin
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Bridal Party yes or no?

• Options
    I have some people in my life that are too close not to honor, and they are such a big part of my life I'd want them up there with me even if we were in sweats.

Question- aren't you worried about elderly guests?
  • Options
    It's not a question of we choose not to have chairs. It's that we can't, unfortunately. The older guests can wait at the reception site if they are unable to stand for the ceremony. Thanks for your insight.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, yes, grandma and grandpa don't get to see you wed because they can't stand?  That seems harsh.  What about younger guests or disabled guests?  You may want to consider having a chair for guests -- it's generally seen as inconsiderate to have guests stand for the ceremony. 

As far as bridal party is concerned, do what you want.  It isn't a must -- but as far as cost is concerned, by no means does it need to be significant.
  • Options
    i'm not planning on having a bridal party. just a maid of honour. my sister and another close friend did the same for their small weddings. but it's not for financial reasons. i just wanted to keep things simple and small. as well my maid of honour is my oldest friend from childhood. don't necesarily think about it as a financial decision because it doesn't have to be expensive to have BMs. but think about who's important to you and who would you want up there with you for the ceremony.
  • Options
    My MOH had an extremely small outdoor ceremony.  There were 7 people in attendance: herself, the groom, the officiant, the best man, his wife, myself (MOH), and my FH.  Even though it was a small wedding, and I didn't have a lot of the bigger more traditional MOH duties, I was still incredibly honored to have been asked to be a part of her wedding.  I think that if you have people you want to honor, you should do so, and if you're worried about costs, do everything you can to keep them insignificant.  If you would rather not, then I don't think that's a problem either.
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards