April 2012 Weddings

Lets Eat Cake!

We FINALLY finalized our cake the other night.  We originally had another girl to do it and tried her cake last week and it was HORRIBLE!  I freaked out and FMIL had already called some of her cake people (assuming mine would fall through).  We met with her first lady thursday and while I didn't get exactly what I wanted, we have a cake and I'm happy with it.  At least I dont have a white cake with white icing like FMIL wanted! haha

All while this was happening, FMIL decided she was going to pay for the cake so we'd have what we (she) wanted.  FI didnt want a grooms cake and instead several cakes/pies, which I was fine with since in the beginning I just wanted a huge dessert bar and no cake at all.  After arguing the other night, FI gave in to a grooms cake and said if anyone hates it it's her (FMIL) fault.  His mom wants it her way or no way.

But whatever, we have cake and its one less thing I have to stress over!  We are doing a 3 tier square cake with white icing and pearls all over with blue ribbon banding on the bottom of each tier.  The first layer will be white, second strawberry, and the top butter pecan.  Yum!

Re: Lets Eat Cake!

• Yay!  We ended our cake nightmare last weekend.  The last baker we went to FORGOT that we were coming and didn't bake the flavors we wanted to try, she gave us some of the cupcakes that she had in her shop that day but they were not good, so the likelihood of the flavors that we wanted being good was pretty slim.  I was at a bridal show the next day and met with a baker who had 150+ flavor combinations and her cupcake pricing fell within our budget.  We set up a tasting and loved them so we went ahead and booked and paid in full so that we don't have to worry about it anymore.  She was sooo nice and as we started talking about the flavors, she went into the kitchen and whipped up a batch of pear frosting so that we could try it, plus gave us a bunch of other cupcakes to taste.  We decided on 6 flavors for our cupcakes:  chocolate squared, classic vanilla, root beer float, just peachy, strawberry lemonade, and poached pear!

• Very exciting! That is a bit annoying about FMIL, but glad you are both going to be happy.  

We are getting our cake for free from a deal with our venue and a baker they work with.  We had made an appointment for a couple days after christmas as we are getting married in CT and don't live there.  When we showed up, they didn't have any cake for us to taste! It was annoying and FI was pissed was good and kept his mouth shut while we were there.  Then when we got home I checked my email and she had emailed me a few hours before we met her saying she had no cakes or supplies to bake them do to being busy at Christmas.  I was happy we didn't flip out on her, but wish she had called and not emailed.  Anyways...we were able to taste another time and it was delicious.  
  • Yum!! Those flavors sound delicious!!
  • Your cake sounds delish!

And btw, I don't know if it's just me/my browser but your sig picture is HUGE! Can you try to resize it?
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • YUM!  Ous is pretty plain flavors - i just added the info to the new thread w/ pics.  :)  I love how everything is getting finalized! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks em.  I was in the process of doing that and it was taking forever!  Hope its right now, as far as I can tell!
  • Well, don't like hearing that you had to endure all of that drama over the cake, but glad you have it taken care of!

@ norman74: And poached pear cupcakes???  Hmmm....that is one that would be VERY interesting to try!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards