Attire & Accessories Forum

Wrong Wedding Dress? (pics included)

Classic story: First time I went shopping for dresses the one I liked the most was on sale and the last one they had. I felt super pressure and bought it on the spot. Six months later I think I don't like it.

Don't get me wrong- it's very lovely and when I wear it I definitely smile and feel pretty. But I just don't get that glamorous feeling I was really looking for- I just kind of look cute. I have been looking through dresses online and now realize there definitely IS a type of dress I like- and it's not the kind I bought.

So now the problem is shopping a seocnd time. Because I already spent money on one dress, I really cannot afford anything beyond David's Bridal prices- $600 is the most I can spend. But the kind of dress I love is pretty elaborate and generally expensive.

Do you all tihnk DB will sell dresses of this caliber? Nothing on their website is even close to these:

And here is the original dress:

Help!!!!!! Any advice would be great- and if you really love my original dress, let me know so I can fall in love with it too!!! I am pretty indecisive and I tend to overthink things, so it could be possible that I do love my dress, I'm just getting major cold feet. Does it look glamorous to you?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Wrong Wedding Dress? (pics included)

• In my opinion, your current dress doesn't look THAT different from the ones you like. I'm guessing you don't like how many pick-ups the skirt has, and want a dress along the same line with fewer pick-ups?

My advice is to try shopping online. I got an amazing deal on my Maggie gown because I didn't buy it through the salon. You may be able to snag a once-worn, sample, or even brand new dress for less than your $600 budget if you shop around and have the names/models of the dresses you are interested in.
  • I think your dress is beautiful. You also have to remember that your hair and make-up will be done up and you will look stunning. I know a lot of girls on here have gone through this same exact thing. But I say keep it, and forget about looking for another dress.
  • "Do you all tihnk DB will sell dresses of this caliber?"

Not to sound too snarky...but I get annoyed when someone says something like this... I've never been able to notice the difference between a $5,000 and a $500 gown...it's names... (this in complete exclusion of a few choice names...which make some incredibly out of this world gowns...)  Point is, DB has a pretty wide assortment and does a pretty good job of having things pretty similar to more expensive brands.
    Chin up...You'll find your gown...
  • They look really similar, I actually like the one you bought better! I say go with the first dress!
  • Your dress looks dramatic and flattering on you but I agree that it seems like maybe you want something with pick ups in the skirt, but fewer than your first dress.  I think the biggest difference with less expensive dresses is the fabric, so if you're willing to compromise on that it might be worth seeing what David's Bridal has if you'd like to keep shopping around.  Otherwise, depending what size you are, if you have time before your wedding look for sample sales in your area or areas you will be visiting...usually the samples run between size 6 and 10 I think...I got a $350 dress marked down to $99 and tried on an $850 dress marked down to $450.  And if you decide not to go with your first dress, you may be able to sell it to a friend or on eBay and hopefully recoup about half of what you paid for it.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • If you don't like your first dress, Go Look!  I was not in love with my first dress but it was pretty.  I wanted to be excited about the dress but I could not bring myself to be.   Last week I was shopping for shower clothes at bridal store and found a sample dress that fit perfectly.  It is a rush but the new dress it already at the seamstress.  I'm more excited now to get married!!!  You got to feel comfortable in what you wear.

DB dress are not bad  in quality but I agree also look at sample dresses.  (My friends wedding dress from DB was amazing)
    www.mromag1.weebly.com
  • The first dress is very similar to the ones you found online. Go look again if you want. You may find by trying on other dresses that the one you originally bought is the one for you. If you have an Alfred Angelo near you they are comparable to Davids Bridal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have to say, your original dress doesn't look all that different from the others that you like - structurally, they are all very similar. 

The style of pick-ups is different, beyond that, I can't really tell based on pics. 

Before you go looking at other dresses or try anything else on, take your current dress to a seamstress.  Ask if the pick-ups can be taken out and re-done to look more like one of the other dresses you like.  I'm not a seamstress - I have NO idea if that is possible or what it would cost, but it's worth asking. 

I just took a look at DB and Alfred Angelo's websites - and your dress looks more like the other pics you posted than anything that DB or AA currently has (if that makes sense!) - not that they are the only designers in your price range. 
    image Final Count: 80 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love your original dress - looks fabulous on you!  I agree with PPs - you need to stop looking.  Your hair/nails/makeup will be done on your wedding day, so that will complete the look as well as your veil and hair accesories. 

If you are unhappy with all the pickups, I would consult with a professional seamtress and ask about getting some of them removed.  Be prepared to pay alot, because if you remove a few pickups it could change completely the dynamic of the dress and you may want it back the way it was to begin with!
    Anniversary
  • Honestly, I love your original dress.  But you gotta do what you gotta do!!
  • Like the PP's I don't see that much difference in the first dress and the other dresses you liked. You it be possible to change what you don't like about the first dress .. I know alternations can be costly but it might be cheaper than buying an entirely new dress.

Also, I would think long and hard before going to try on more dresses and if you do make sure you are prepared to buy. I wouldn't suggest doing it just for fun or for the heck of it becuase you might end up making the decision to buy.

GL!

• i think your dress is a simmilar type to the dress you want, and its beautiful. I would try to embrace your dress, or look for a dress used perhaps, that way you can get an amazing dress in your budget. check the classifieds boards. Or if you like pale pink I have a maggie ball gown that needs a home! but seriously, I would try to stick with your original dress, it's really lovely
  • I also think your dress looks a lot like the styles you posted.  However, if you really don't like the dress, our opinions probably aren't going to change your mind.  If you can't find what your looking for in your price range, check the used wedding dress websites.  You can find brand new dresses with tags and even sell your first dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am like PPs that the dress you chose is very similar to the dress you want.  The dress is beautiful.....................
    Mrs. Jones= again Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Maybe I'm the only one here but I say quit looking at other dresses! The other dresses are very similar.

Is this dress going to make or break your wedding? Are you going to have to cut something else out of your wedding budget to accomodate another dress?

Good luck!
  • I love your dress!!!  Maybe you're just having normal doubts? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's natural to second guess yourself.  Your current dress is beautiful and very similar to the second one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well, I've decided to hold off on looking again. I talked to my BMs and they were SUPER helpful. We're planning on having a get together soon and they promised to help me style up my hair and do some glamarous make-up so I can see the full picture. I love my girls!!

Thanks for all the responses! Just having another person's POV really helps put it in perspective.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • the original is pretty. I got one similar to your orig and the newer ones at Alfred Angelo. It wasnt in the catalog yet, but they have a lot of very nice dresses and if u like anything they have online, just register with their email and you can get discounts(usually 20%). If theres a store near you, i'd check it out. Cant hurt but the original is nice too
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards