Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake Knife?

What type of cake knife are you buying? Are you suppose to buy/use a nice cake knife  (waterford, wedgewood) and the have it as a keepsake? Or does it really matter? 

Re: Cake Knife?

• Options
    It is all up to you.  I rented a pretty knife for 5 bucks to cut our wedding cake because I could care less about having one for a keepsake.  I was very interested in our toasting flutes, but many don't care about those either and just use what their venue provides.

I can tell you my beautiful Austrian crystal flutes have been packed away for a very long time and I sometimes wonder why they were so important to me at the time.

If this is something that holds tremendous value to you, buy a set.  If you don't really care about it, just use what the venue provides.
  • Options
    I bought a set at Hobby Lobby on sale for $10. I have no idea where it is now, just 3 months later.
  • Options
    I just used the one provided by the venue.  I couldn't tell you what it looked like.

My sister got a nice one for her wedding.   6 other people have used her's since.  I was suppose to also, but my sister forgot to bring it.  Oh well.

Point is, it doesn't matter.  If you do not want to buy a fancy one that might sit in a drawer somewhere then see if you can borrow one from a family member or just use one the venue has.  Most caterers will have a nice cake knife on hand.  If you want one as a keepsake, that's fine too.

My sister entertains a lot and actually uses hers.  I, however, do not, so it would have just sat in a box somewhere.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    H and I used whatever random knife the venue had.  We could have caredless if we had some fancy shmancy knife to cut our cake with.  Honestly the cake cutter and serving set is just another thing that will sit in a box, collecting dust for the rest of your life.

• Options
    A friend of mine bought a shadow box frame for her cake serving set, toasting flutes, and other wedding doo-dads to display in their bedroom. If you're the sentimental type, this could be an option.
  • Options
    I got a pearl handled set on sale at Party City. I think it was $5. I covered it in ribbon to match our colors, and I think it's in a box somewhere in the basement

It's not important. Your photographer will take a picture or 2, and then you use it, and it ends up somewhere. You can make a nice shadow box like itzMS says, or not.
  • Options
    We used the venue knife and never gave it a second thought.  

• Options
    We're using my parents' cake knife from their wedding.  There was no point in buying one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options

It is an expense, that most people regret wasting the money on.  With that said, my partner, who loves some bling, really loved this one set that we saw, but it was almost $400.00 for the flutes and the server set.  I found a comparable set online for about $100.00.  it still was a totally unncessary expense, but we were happy to have some bling at the cake table. 

• Options
    We don't currently own a cake knife set. I just bought a cheap set from Hobby Lobby (His & Hers brand, they usually put them on sale for 50% off every couple of weeks). I'm going to tie a ribbon of our wedding color on them and remove them for use after the wedding. It's nice to have a set lying around in case you are serving cake. But, unless you serve cake everyday or throw large social events often, I don't see the use of a fancy set. 
    "Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and pleases where it goes" David & Roxy March 2, 2013 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just found this beautiful set! It is always great to have and receive keepsakes that can be passed down as other family members get married. That is what I plan on doing!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-knife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:9f564bb1-23e5-472e-94d3-ddee4067462bPost:bd21ca8a-6670-4ead-8aad-144ffbbcd97b">Re: Cake Knife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're using my parents' cake knife from their wedding.  There was no point in buying one.
    Posted by Annas2013[/QUOTE]

This is what we did.  I am going to have my parent's wedding date and ours engraved on it and then pass it down for nieces and nephew to use.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards