Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Types of WINE

Hi everyone,

Our bar service has told us we can choose our wines (2 red 2 whites).  While I love white wine, I'm no conisuer - and no nothing about reds.  I know I want a sauvignon blanc and a pinot grigio for white, but that's about the extent.  I know Barefoot is decent and cheap, but does anyone have recommendations for somewhat enexpensive brands (red and white)?

(while it seems like we have some leeway, I'm sure our selections have to be reasonable)

Thanks!!

Re: Types of WINE

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having one white and one red (ours is a daytime wedding, we're serving fish and vegetarian food), and I'm happy to share the results of our taste testing.  Red--Grayson Cellars Merlot (no strong aftertaste, drinkable, I think it will be a crowd-pleaser...their cab was also good, but we liked the merlot better). 
    White--Big Claw White (a blend, I think it's meant to go with seafood, not too sweet, nice and light tasting).  They both retail for about $10-12 a bottle.  Hope that helps! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    check out these articles and maybe start trying them with dinners each week!

i usually like malbec or malbec  blends for red wine but i'm not much of an aficionado when it comes to brand.  i usually just buy whatever is in the $10-15 range.

you could also ask the caterer?  or - we have this great wine shop in our neighborhood that does weekly free tastings, and they carry a huge selection!  maybe try to find a shop like that so you can figure out what you like?  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For red wine, I would go with a Merlot (full-bodied red) and Cabernet Sauvignon (sweeter, lighter red) so that guests have a good mix. You could try getting wine from your local Costco or a local winery if you have one. Also, if you have a Trader Joe's near you - they have really inexpensive wine that's pretty good!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much.  These are great suggestions.  You've been a big help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We love the Menage A Trois; it's a blend of reds. Our crowd is very "into" wine and they all like it as an inexpensive party wine. We are getting a few cases at Costco for about $7/bottle. They make a white blend too. :)
  • Options
    KatiScarletKatiScarlet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OK, don't judge me for the ghetto price tag, but I have a yummy-enough-for-a-wedding cheap pinot grigio.  Story required...

My ex-roomie is the top wine steward in all of QFC.  I went to her store on her off day and bought the cheapest PG in the section.  It was like $4.50 or something.  I brought it home and gave her a glass.  She said, "this is pretty good."  I said, "it's Fish Eye."  Her eyes bugged out of her head and she couldn't believe it didn't taste like a $4 PG at all.

We're getting 24 bottles for our wedding.  Since they do an extra 10% off purchases of more than 6 bottles, that makes it about $100 for 2 cases.  Ka-ching! 

An everyone-friendly white is Cupcake.  Most people really like it, but it won't impress the snobs if they see the label.

If you want to mix it up a little, try a vinho verde.  It's a lightly-sparkling white, and it is SUPER refreshing and not like champagne at all.  I love the Famega.  Here's a website with a list of kinds at the bottom...

Red wines....
    Cab Sav is a very safe bet, and you can get some great ones for $8 and under.  Red Diamond is a basic starter CS. 

If you have a Cost Plus World Market nearby, they just had Raymond Reserve 06 Merlot on sales for $11, and it's usually $23.  It's very delish.

I second trying a few from Trader Joe's.  We grabbed 4 bottles of $6 and under wines and did an at home tasting.  We picked the Epicuro Beneventano.

Menage A Trois is a great middle of the road red blend.  I think I have about 6 bottles of it at home in the wine rack.  I personally lovelovelove Heavyweight, but it's about $13 and is MEGA full bodied, sometimes too muich for a delicate palate.

If you want more wine info, let me know and I can put you in touch with my friend.  She can give you a HUGE list to try.

Good luck!
    Kati
    Sept 2011 Board - Feb Sig Challenge: Reception Location-
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker

But why wouldn't you serve ice cream with the cake?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards