Massachusetts-Boston

Cheap Wedding Venue/Reception site

My fiance and I are planning to get married on August 2013. Our budget for the whole wedding is $15,000. We did our guest list last weekend and we have a feeling our guests will be around 200-250. We also want to find our own caterers since we want to do a buffet style reception. Any one have any ideas on a venue that won't punch holes in our budget and make us cater too???

Re: Cheap Wedding Venue/Reception site

• kraziekoochikraziekoochi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are planning to get married on August 2013. Our budget for the whole wedding is $15,000. We did our guest list last weekend and we have a feeling our guests will be around 200-250. We also want to find our own caterers since we want to do a buffet style reception. Any one have any ideas on a venue that won't punch holes in our budget and make us cater too???

• edited December 2011
    Mine is at the Hyatt Place Dallas Garland and Holly has been fabulous. I got a special rate with a deal they ran but my base cost was a food and drink minimum of $4000. We have 230 coming, so I understand. Hope this helps!
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd suggest posting this on the Boston local board.  (Look to your left for "Local Wedding Boards," click on it, then click on Massachusetts-Boston.)  This is an international board, and it won't really help you to get recommendations from all over the world.
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $15,000 for 200-250 people in Boston is going to be a challenge. Are you open to venues outside of Boston and on a Friday or Sunday night? It will definitely be less expensive. And yes a buffet or family style reception will definitely save you money. Most venues I know for that many people that allow outside catering are tented ones but require rentals for tables and chairs and that can definitely increase your overall cost.
  • edited December 2011
    Another idea would be to have your reception at a non-meal time, so you won't need to provide a full meal. Also breakfast or brunch reception is a great way to save money as breakfasts tend to be cheaper with caterers than dinners.
  • edited December 2011
    Halls that I know of are:
    Nonantum post 440 in Newton.  Its not fancy on the outside or the main area but the ballroom is very pretty and has a beautiful chandelier.

Hellenic Center in Watertown.  Nothing crazy to look at on the outside but inside is very pretty and I've heard that they have updated it a lot since 2007 by painting, changing the curtains, flooring and adding chandeliers.

Chelmsford Elks Club.

For catering:
    Tony & Pennys  (cheap and AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS)  huge portions too.

Buffet Way

Vinwood is on the higher end but they worked with my cousin who used them in September.
  • edited December 2011
    I am struggling with the same issue, but slightly smaller guest list, Boston is just sooo expensive, even in the surrounding areas. I found the Colonial Inn in Gardner, Ma or Independence Harbor are very reasonable. Part of my issue is I want a full open bar, which is sometimes just as much as the food!

I thought about stations for a more casual atmosphere and most venues that include catering do offer or will create a custom package for you for a buffet instead of plated, you just have to ask, but it is a growing trend! & a venue that you do catering through will be more open to negotiating rental prices since you are still spending $ with them.

Just an FYI regarding stations/buffet style, (I'm in hospitality industry) and I have learened that buffet style often costs more because more food actually has to be prepared. Since you have to anticipate everyone wanting to try everything, so if you have 3'entrees' on your buffet the caterer has to plan on 3 entree per person instead of 1 plated entree per person. But it will also depend on how fancy you get with the buffet.

Guess its just expensive feeding that many people, and all the little things add up! Good Luck on your hunt!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards