Texas-Austin

Acoustic Guitarist recommendations?

We are seeking an acoustic guitarist to play during our ceremony (possibly a mix of the wedding standards + some more contemporary tunes), and would love to have them stay to do a solo acoustic singer/songwriter-type set. Ideally someone who could sing & play during the cocktail hour--Johnny Cash, John Mayer, Dave Matthews, etc. We're VERY into music, so this is extremely important to us. But we're struggling to find the right person, which I have to believe can't be that difficult in Austin.
Any recommendations, experiences, etc. you can offer will be invaluable. 

Re: Acoustic Guitarist recommendations?

• edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding  about a year ago that had Acoustic Jungle play. Simply awesome, we actually bought a CD while there, but they don't sound like the type of music you are looking for..they were more jazz sounding.
  • edited December 2011
    Does anyone of your friends or your FI's friends play guitar?  If not, maybe look into guitar schools in Austin or UT music school and putting an ad/gig request in.  I just went to the GFA (guitar foundations of america) concert last night and a UT professor played beautiful accustic guitar.  You can look up school on GFA's website www.guitarfoundation.org/">www.guitarfoundation.org   Last resort, post on craigslist?  You gotta be able to find one in Austin ;) 
  • edited December 2011

I sent you a private message

• jenn.atxjenn.atx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used David Warren on referral from a friend.  www.cgxdw.com
    He played for the ceremony and for the cocktail hour.  He was great and we received lots of compliments on him.  He even came to our rehearsal, which I didn't think was necessary... but he offered.  He played some traditional, some contemporary, some beatles, etc.  His website says he moved from Austin, but he's actually splitting his time between CA and TX since he has a new baby.  He even learned to play Somewhere Over the Rainbow for our ceremony.  He works with a girl that sings with him, if you'd like (he doesn't sing). She has a beautiful voice, and we considered having her sing a song during the ceremony, but we got married in June, outside, so we opted for a shorter ceremony and more A/C and skipped the singer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards