Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Just engaged!

Hi Everyone! 

My boyfriend (now fiance) JUST proposed on Saturday! It was a beautiful engagement right in Central Park, NYC. 

I am SO excited to get the ball rolling! We've been talking wedding for a while now, and decided on a June 2014 wedding date. However, since I'm so new to this, I don't know a lot of the "rules." Like, when should I ask the girls I want in my wedding party to be in my wedding? When should I start looking for venues and any other details? I know TheKnot has the checklist, but I feel like I should be doing more sooner! 

Can anyone help? :)

- Jessica

Re: Just engaged!

• Options
    June is a super popular wedding month, so I would start looking into venues a yr and a half before. Wait to ask the girls until 9 months or so before. I'm in the same time frame as you and am super excited to start planning, but I would wait at least  yr and a half before any purchases. Your tastes or ideas may change and you don't want to waste money by having to repurchase things.

First, figure out your budget. Are you guys paying? Spend the next couple of months saving money and getting ideas.

Congrats!!
  • Options
    The first thing you need to do is set a budget and come up with a potential guest list. Then look for venues that meet your needs. Definitely wait awhile before you ask your wedding party. Relationships change, and you will see a lot of brides on here who regret their choices and come here wanting to kick people out. 

Congrats and happy planning!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Congrats and good luck with the planning!
  • Options
    All the PP have great suggestions. Don't get too attached to a 'theme' or color scheme. I was engaged only 7 months and I changed my mind twice! Just start looking at other weddings getting ideas. First thing, set a budget and a guest list. Then fairly soon, book a venue and a photographer, as those things tend to book up the fastest. Everything else can be done at a slow gradual pace. Definitely don't ask your wedding party until 6-9 months out. There's just no need.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I agree with pp's. However if you have very close friends, you dont have to wait. I asked my best friend of more than 15 years the next day if she would be in my wedding. Even prior to my engagement she knew she'd be in it, she didnt have a choice haha. You dont have to wait to ask..unless you think that friendship would waiver for whatever reason.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I would use a personal wedding website as a hub, and plan smart and easy!
    You can start trying them and see what fits you from sites like wedding-websites.no1reviews.com or top-wedding-websites.com. Many of them are freeWink
    Congrats!
  • Options
    There aren't really any hard and fast rules to it. I suggest you estimate your budget and size, and maybe start some of the event planning and organization by creating your guys' own personalized wedding website, like via eWedding or Wedbuddy. 

Once you've settled on how big your wedding will be, I'd say it's never too early to start tackling the details.

Good luck coordinating!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards