North Carolina

Changed my Name!

Well....I did the two major parts of the name-change process: SS office & DMV.  And imagine my surprise when the DMV turned out to be quicker and easier than the SS office! I don't have any credit cards, so I guess my other big change will be the bank.  Woo hoo! 
image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10

Re: Changed my Name!

• janice1980janice1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, congrats!  I wonder how long it's going to take before signing your name doesn't feel weird?
    panther Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yayyy Ashley....glad to hear the process went smoothly!!  You are so lucky you don't have any credit cards, too.....I have a ton to change my name with when that time comes!

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Im am dreading that process the most!! I have to change my SS card, license, credit cards, credit reports, student loans, etc. :(
    Photobucket

• Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_changed-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:4c5b8318-fb3f-43cf-b187-52c5749ac34ePost:f761ca84-70a4-4cbf-9648-61c295d0b192">Re: Changed my Name!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im am dreading that process the most!! I have to change my SS card, license, credit cards, credit reports, student loans, etc. :(
    Posted by jmp0930[/QUOTE]

Me too!  Not sure about credit reports--does that automatically change?  But I have student loans, and credit cards, bank accounts, have to change for my law license and with the state bar, have to somehow get my work email changed and I already told my office manager she might as well hold off as long as possible for ordering new letterhead since my name will be changing!  We will have to re-deed the house into our names as a married couple (this is important!!), and change all the utilties...It will probably take me 6 months to do it all!!

Glad your process went so smoothly Ashley!  I'm jealous in advance!
  • edited December 2011
    Ah that reminds me that I have to change my name (and email) at work.  DH bought the house before we were even engaged, so I need to get added to the house deed & such, too.  Sigh....maybe I'm not finished after all :)
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_changed-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:4c5b8318-fb3f-43cf-b187-52c5749ac34ePost:a8a9da9c-2d5a-4ce5-ac0e-f83ca89fcbb9">Re: Changed my Name!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ah that reminds me that I have to change my name (and email) at work.  DH bought the house before we were even engaged, so I need to get added to the house deed & such, too.  Sigh....maybe I'm not finished after all :)
    Posted by ashstwrt[/QUOTE]

Real estate is not the area I practice in, so don't take this as legal advice, but if the house is only in his name, and he were ever to have legal problems, they could take the house to execute a judgment.  If it is deeded over to you and him as Tenants by the Entirety, and just one of you were to be sued, the house is protected as marital property.  Its still vulnerable if you were to both get sued, but every bit of protection helps!
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love FI so much, but thinking about everything you have to do to change your name... No wonder some girls keep their maiden name.  I debated it. 

Since I do the sports photography, everything is under my maiden name. That's what everyone in the industry knows.  FI said I should keep my maiden name and add his to the end.  But that would make my name Alyson Leigh Morley Boyer Rode... what a mouthful! Would that even fit on my SS card or DL? Eh, I guess they will have to make it work.

Ashley, you are so lucky!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Beth, the deed for our house is in both of our names already. My name is obviously my current name.  Do you think I still have to get it changed?  I'm sure it would be a good idea, it;s just another thing....
  • ecuchikaecuchika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Someone mentioned changing their name on the bank account?  I work at a bank and as long as you have either your new DL with your new name OR your marriage certificate along with your DL you should have no problems.  Thats for my bank you may want to bring the marraigae certificate anyways so you don't have problems but it should be painless! HTHS

I too dread this name change thing..not to mention I really like my name and I'm not so sure about his Undecided not sure how Im going to get that done.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_changed-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:4c5b8318-fb3f-43cf-b187-52c5749ac34ePost:5ae233ae-e700-4c72-9502-78429934cff5">Re: Changed my Name!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Beth, the deed for our house is in both of our names already. My name is obviously my current name.  Do you think I still have to get it changed?  I'm sure it would be a good idea, it;s just another thing....
    Posted by alliegator8[/QUOTE]

I would suggest giving your real estate attorney (whoever handled the closing) a quick call about this.  If you are both on the deed and not married right now, it is probably as "tenants in common" -- which makes no sense to anyone who is not a lawyer -- it just affects the actual rights you have in the house individually.  To be protected as marital property I think it has to be as 'tenants by the entirety" but I'm not sure -- it might be as long as you are married its ok.  But I would definetely check.  I plan on doing it just to be safe, but I can obviously have it done a lot cheaper!  (again, real estate is not my specialty so this is not legal advice -- just advice to check into it!)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I appreciate the advice.  I will check on that.  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards