California-Northern
Options

Cake Problem (rant/anyone know of a baker?)

I was super stoked a few months back.  My sister managed to trade computer repair for a free wedding cake for me!  Awesome, right?  I asked her to let her friend know I'd be happy to pay her for her work, especially since her hours were cut at work.

Well, fast forward to last week.  After a few weeks of asking for her friend's phone number so that I could set up a tasting and my sister saying "let me take care of that" I finally asked my sister if her friend was still making the cake for me.  She was rather vague on the answer.

So, earlier today I called my sister and said that I needed to know for sure, with a date to taste and finalize the order (I gave her our availability) by tomorrow.  My wedding is in 48 days and the cake should have been taken care of a long time ago.  She said she'd let me know tomorrow, but I should probably start looking for a baker.

ARGH!!!  I'm so mad at myself for trusting that it would all be OK and leaving this be for so long.  I feel like I never should have trusted that my sister would make sure it worked out.

So now I'm pretty sure I need a baker.  Does anyone have any suggestions for affordable bakers in the east bay (Hayward/Castro Valley/San Ramon -ish)? 

The cake we want is really simple: 2 or 3 tiers, white buttercream frosting, royal blue ribbon around the bottom and chocolate covered strawberries on each tier.  I know the strawberries will add to the cost, but it's FI's only request for the wedding.

Re: Cake Problem (rant/anyone know of a baker?)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Cakes by Bev in livermore is inexpensive and I think she will do all of that.

Otherwise, try safeway maybe? I know it sounds weird but they have some nice cakes!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I'll check with both.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Katrina Rozelle out of San Ramon and loved them.  They were a little expensive tho.  My friend used this lady out of Fairfield.  Her name is Carolyn and her number is 455-7190.  She is more affordable than anyone I found and their cake was pretty awesome.
  • Options
    jlandman05jlandman05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have this girl doing my cake - she's young and a student but that means inexpensive for my budget wedding :) From the photos I've seen, her cakes are simple and fun which is my style and sounds like what you had envisioned for yours as well. And another positive, she brings the tasting to you.
    Felicia Viera
    925-550-0304
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards