Illinois-Chicago

controversial diet?

have you ladies heard about the hcg diet?

there is a makeup artist that i see constantly facebooking about this diet and how she's trying to get more and more people on-board with her to do it. i just read about it and you basically shoot yourself up with some hormones and eat only 500 calories/day. i think it's kinda crazy and scary. it seriously cannot be healthy, can it? i realize brides can be really weight-conscious but i don't believe that diet is the answer and i really hope that brides don't jump on-board thinking it's a smart way to lose weight. but that's just my opinion...

do you have an opinions about it?

Re: controversial diet?

• edited December 2011
    Diet and exercise are the only healthy way to lose weight. You need to do it safely or else you will put all the weight back on.

Shooting yourself up with hormones sounds awful.
    Anniversary image
  • edited December 2011
    i completely agree with you! I'm in no way considering this or saying this is an ok diet by any means. ick. gross.
  • edited December 2011
    I did a form of the HCG diet. You can actually purchase drops online to get the same effect. Don't do it...it is only temporary. The moment you stop eating 500 calories, the lbs start creeping back on. I totally fell for it and now heavier than where i started. D-O-N-T.

As PP have said, the old fashioned way is the only way to have long lasting effects. Furthermore, I was always a little nervous about the hormone thing. What if it messed with my ability to have kids down the road?
  • edited December 2011
    wow!!! there seems NOTHING good about that idea!  there is a really good website where ive read about the "fad" diets called everydiet.org and it gives a pretty real description about the many diet names and what they are about.  its very interesting!

another bad diet that ive seen people do is the lemonade diet... yikes.
  • edited December 2011
    ya, i don't like any part of this diet. i've seen it on the news and always asked myself "how do you expect to eat 500 calories and NOT lose weight?" and then of course, the obvious..."and you think you won't gain it back?"

drives me crazy. i just think that this person that's pushing it is ridiculous and really shouldn't be doing so. anyone selling this online, is doig so illegally, right? i mean, the actual hormone that you inject. i can't imagine it being safe to buy online anyhow. scary.
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds awful! Ditto to the posts about diet and excercise. Not to mention portiion control and just being mindful of how your body reacts and deals with certain foods.
  • WinterWed17WinterWed17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't see this being FDA approved.
  • edited December 2011
    This is a VERY BAD idea, and very unhealthy. Where are the scientific studies on this?  

Never use anything that is not FDA approved. Tricking your body into believing you are pregnant is NOT the way to lose. Also 500 cals daily is very very unhealthy without strict MD supervision, as your heart can be damaged.

This HCG diet is just another fad, and the only thing you lose in money.

If you want to lose fat quickly, I suggest reading Tom Venuto's "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" his program is very very sound, it is scientifically based and works.

I also like Weight Watchers, I lost 25 Lbs on this, and it is very easy to use, but to lose fat, you need to exercise using cardio and weight training and eat 5 times daily, drink plenty of water. It can be done safely, although you won't see results overnight, you get a more sustainable weight loss by building muscle which is where all cals are burned.

Most people think exercise is the base for losing weight. Nutrition and what you eat is about 80% of weight loss and the exercise works together with your nutrition causing afterburn of cals and building muscle which burns more cals.
  • edited December 2011
    Alpha-I just started Tom's book. My husband recommended it....so excited to finish it!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know much about this diet but my co-worker lost over 100lbs on it. She did it through her doctor and has kept it off for over a year.
  • edvedv
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WOW! This sounds horrible! I can't imagine this being any bit healthy!!
  • edited December 2011
    I recommend the book Eat to Live.  Not everyone can follow the plan, but the book makes sense, is written by a doctor, and focuses on filling your body with natural food- fruits and vegetables. And he hates processed foods.  I'm a vegetarian, so it's an easy switch but it is very light on meat, and dairy... But I've been sort of following the plan, eating a ton, and I lost 6 pounds in a month- which isn't too bad for eating a ton. (Along with some basic cardio 4x a week)

Good luck
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 115 Made the cut!
    image 90 Are ready to party and cruise Lake Michigan!
    image 21 Are party poopers and would rather be lame at home!
    image 4 Are actually really making me pissy now
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards