April 2012 Weddings
Options

Vendor Frustration! (venting)

What is it lately?

I had my bridal portraits taken back on November 6th and still haven't gotten my proofs yet.  For over three weeks I have been trying very very hard not to be a horrible antsy bride.  But I think I'm justified at this point!  The photographer's work is amazing and I'm really psyched to see how my pictures turned out.  I haven't tried to get back in touch with him -- I figured cut people some slack over the Thanksginving holiday -- but I am just about to!  I made a little extra money last month and I am eager to spend it putting together an album with my favorites out of all the tons of pictures he took.  (Yes of course I will keep the album stashed away from fiance until after the wedding!  It's really important to him to be surprised and he won't spoil it for himself by looking at the pictures).

Also, about a month ago fiance and I put in the information to order invitations from a local stationer.  We had shopped around a little and since we only need about 50 invitations we're splurging and having everything custom designed and going first class, we didn't even worry about the price and just went with the place we liked best.  The ladies at the stationer prefer to communicate via e-mail following your consultation.  Fiance was leery of this but we figured it would be best to play their game as long as everything went smoothly.  Unfortunately there seem to have been miscommunications every step of the way after our consultation.   We were expecting them to send us some graphics that they could use, for us to choose from, before they set anything up, but they went ahead and generated proofs -- at least we did hear back from them within a few days as promised.  We attempted (via e-mail) to clear up any misunderstandings and provided our changes on the proofs...it took me a few days to get back with them, but everything seemed fine when they followed up with me and I said we were still looking over everything and I got our changes to them a few days later.  I've hardly heard from them since, except to say that they did receive our changes and they had started creating a custom graphic for us.  They had mentioned this as a possibility, but I had told them that I would prefer not to pay extra for a custom graphic and wanted to try to change the size and placement of the one they had been able to find from another source, before we incured extra charges.  Like I said, I was trying to cut people some slack over the Thanksgiving holiday, but you would think they could have at least shot me a quick note by now that they were jammed with Christmas party invitations or whatever.  Our last communication was the week before Thanksgiving wherein they mentioned sending me something by the end of the week, which obviously never happened.  At least we didn't give them any money yet.  I shot them another note last night and if we don't hear from them by tomorrow we will take the printout of our proof to another stationer on Saturday.

Not wedding related, but I also ordered a decorative item for Christmas from one of the third party sellers on Amazon.com and when fiance and I went to assemble it, there were parts missing.  The seller has not yet replied to my phone call or e-mail.  I'm pretty sure I have remedies through Amazon and my credit card, but I still really wanted to enjoy this item at Christmastime and I want to get this resolved ASAP so I can get the item set up or get my money back and get another one.

Okay...rant over.  Thanks!
Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.

Re: Vendor Frustration! (venting)

• Options
    3 weeks isn't really that long...esp with a 4 day weekend thrown in.  I'd give them at least 2 more weeks. before getting antsy

Sorry you're having vendor troubles.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_vendor-frustration-venting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:6a44c7bf-7aca-420f-8102-9e698c2a4716Post:ec4ea20b-247e-49bd-974e-68a4e839340c">Re: Vendor Frustration! (venting)</a>:
    [QUOTE]3 weeks isn't really that long...esp with a 4 day weekend thrown in.  I'd give them at least 2 more weeks. before getting antsy Sorry you're having vendor troubles.
    Posted by mdphd[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. The time is really dependant upon photographers. I had to wait about 5 weeks for engagement pictures. It was torture, but well worth it. Check your contract. Is a length of wait time specified? We were told 1-1.5 months. Others say 2-3 weeks. This is usually something discussed at the contract signing.
  • Options
    I hate, hate, hate wedding invitations.  They are the devil and I'm glad I'm only getting married once so that I never have to deal with them again.

Totally feel you on the invites! I think if they are technologically capable of dealing with email they could at least communicate with you to tell you why they are late getting back to you.  This is why I decided to fire my cousin from helping DIY them.

Good luck on that.

As far as your bridal pics go, I'm sure there's a good explaination as to why they are late.  It would just be nice to know what it is!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, the photographer was pretty laid back and doesn't use a contract for bridal portraits.  He said after the shoot that he'd try to get back to me within a week or two but also mentioned he was doing a bunch of 11/11/11 weddings right after my pictures.  I might give him about another week, until the 6th which would be a month, and then follow up with him to make sure everything's copacetic and try to get a more concrete time frame.

blgrout, the invitations WERE kind of fun until they started flaking on me :-P  Thanks for empathizing!
  • Options
    Invitations are a pain in the a$$.  I decided i wanted to go above and beyond and make awesome invitations.... I think that was my mistake.  I found a local place, that could take my ideas and try to put them on paper.  I am doing pocketfolds with an invitation inside and 3 cards down the bottom.  To make it affordable i took on the task of making my pocketfolds(100 invites).  Needless to say this took a lot of hours.  Looking back i don't know if i would have done it myself.  Then we get to the vendor... First they took forever getting samples together.  We eventually figured out the design (which is fairly simple).  Then they told me they were going to be ready for a specific date, and a few days before they tell me that they are going away for the weekend and can't have everything ready, but can get me some stuff so i can start assembly.  I am an understanding person and since they said they only needed another week, it wasn't that big a deal.  Today i went to pick it up, and one of the parts was wrong, so i am going to have to wait again to have that...   Boooooo!  Invitations will hopefully come out awesome, but it has been an adventure.  Now to spend all the hours assembling...

Sorry for my rant haha  I would say if they don't show you some attention over the next week or so to try somewhere else, especially if money isn't a huge worry.

For the photographer, you need to try to be a little patient.  Just think of it that they will have spent a little bit more time on editing.  A little editting can go a really long way :)

~~Sabrina~~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm having issues with my videographer...she keeps saying she wants me to put a deposit down, but hasn't sent a contract.  I always thought i wasn't supposed to put $$ down w/o something in writing...am i wrong?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Chicken, coming from someone who works for attorneys, they will tell you to get EVERYTHING in writing.  I think you're well within your rights to politely ask your videographer to send the contract for you to look over and sign to send back along with your deposit.

At least I got good news that, the message went into my spam folder for some reason so I didn't see it immediately, but I did receive a refund for the item I ordered online.  Once I confirm this I'm going to order a replacement ASAP.  Bummer that they couldn't just send the missing pieces or a duplicate item though!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards