Second Weddings

song suggestions?...and a bit about me (kinda long, sorry :)

I got married 25 years ago at the JOP, disappointed the family, felt regret over the years and talked about having "my wedding" at our 25th anniversary, blah, blah, blah...

Fast forward 25 years (and it feels like it was fast forward!) and we will celebrate our 25th anniversary on 3/2/13 by renewing our vows and a reception.  We're having the party at a hotel ballroom with about 50 guesst.  Planning to have cocktail hour followed by very brief vow renewal ceremony then sit-down dinner and dancing (with a DJ).  I have ordered 2 dresses because initially my husband and daughter told me they would not "support" me wearing anything other than a white bridal dress (since they have listened to me talk about it many times over the years; my son's only concern is that "my party" not interfere with spring break!).  The white dress is more like a destination dress, no train, very pretty.  While looking online for dresses, though, I found a beautiful light gray/silver evening gown that I absolutely love so I have now ordered it as well (my husband relented and will attend even if I'm not wearing white, thank goodness)  So I guess I'll decide after both are in.

I plan to have a couple of special dances...my husband will dance with our daughter and I will dance with our son to Through the Years.  Now for my actual question...my mother passed away a month ago and MIL passed years ago.  I would like to dance with my dad to honor my mom's memory (they would have been married 50 years next year) and I would like my husband to dance with his oldest sister.  What would be a good song for the 4 of us to dance to?

Re: song suggestions?...and a bit about me (kinda long, sorry :)

• MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2012
    Congratulations!!  Twenty-five years of marriage is indeed something to celebrate!! 

I'm sorry for your loss, and so close to the holidays and your silver anniversary.  ((hugs))

My dad passed away 9 years before our wedding and my DH's dad passed away 5 months before.  My DH and MIL were to have danced just the two of them to Wind Beneath My Wings (one of her favorite songs) just before the DJ started the song my DH asked that my mom and I come watch.  It ended up being a dance with all 4 of us. My mom and my DH, my Mil and me, me with my DH and the moms dancing.  

ETA:  Ask your dad if there was a special song that he and your mother enjoyed.

• I have zero ideas for a song, but wanted to put in my $.02.
    If you are doing a "in memory of" song, I'd sugguest not announcing it. A wedding is a time of celebration, and you never know who may still be having a hard time with the loss. It could leave you with someone very upset. Also, I'd talk to your dad and DH's sister about this; is this something they are comfortable doing? I miss my grandfather dearly, but if my brother and grandma had danced at his wedding recently in grandpa's memory, I'd have been very emotional, as the loss still hurts.
    Just a thought.
    Praying for a miracle!
  • mandi195 that's a very good point that I hadn't considered.  i will give it some more thought.
  • retread...ballroom and those songs would work really well, thanks!
  • We did our "parents dance" to "Memories" by Elvis Presley. We got married in our 50's last year, and we and our parents remember that song (young folks don't get it).
  • sue...awesome suggestion...thanks I really wouldn't have thought of that one
  • perhaps you could have some framed photos of you lost loved ones on a small table at the reception? maybe some flowers or candles around it? or if that will be too much, maybe you can wear some of their jewelry in their honor? And maybe you can wear both dresses... start with the white one and then change into the silver one later? :)
    ~Happy Wife.... Happy Life~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards