Outdoor Weddings

Trying to find a wedding date for an outdoor wedding?

Hello this is my first time on the chat log but  I need some help picking a month that is not to hot but nice for a outdoor wedding. I keep changing at first I said July but I keep hearing July is extremely hot. I considered Oct. but I would probably have to change to fall colors. I am getting married in SC, I recently got engaged a month ago and can't even get the date together. Someone please give me ideas.

HELP!!!

Re: Trying to find a wedding date for an outdoor wedding?

• danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2009
    Be sure to post on the SC board for local advice about the weather and when other outdoor brides in your area are getting married.

Just because you get married in the fall doesn't mean you have to use fall colors.  No matter what season it is, you should use the colors that you love. 

With the summers as hot and humid as they are in SC, I would think you'd want something more in the spring or fall.  What does your FI and parents suggest?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can have a summer/outdoor wedding. But there are alot of things to consider. It would have to be late at night or very early in the morning.  In July, it heats up so fast even mornings are warm.  At night your guest will assume there will be alcohol, because lots of evening weddings are set for the evenings for that exact reason.  You could rent a tent with air conditioning, but that would have to be considered into your budget. Are you wanting ceremony & reception outdoors or just ceremony.
    ~yovey~ BabyName Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I believe it truly depends on where you're located. My wedding is in June, and it will likely be pretty hot, but I plan to be accomodating for the weather by offering fans and bottled water. I say choose whatever month makes you happiest! =)
  • Hey! I'm a SC outdoor bride and I'm getting married July 24, 2010. It's an evening wedding so hopefully it will cool down some, but as a SC girl born and bred, I know that it's still pretty warm even at night.

I'm providing guests with fans and bottled water and we're putting them under tents for the ceremony. The reception is being held inside a nearby building. If you want to have an outside ceremony, it's totally doable! Just try to keep it short and sweet. I was actually a guest at an outdoor wedding last year in July in SC and there were no tents, bottles of water, OR fans and it really wasn't that bad.

I would suggest moving the reception indoors, BUT if you don't want to do that, there are many options. They do have air-conditioned tents now and you can also rent portable AC units and/or large fans and misters, etc.

Choose whatever date makes you guys happy! Don't rule out summer before you consider options :)
  • I'm getting married August 14, 2010 in middle TN.  It's going to be hot, no doubt in that, but honestly it was the only time we could make the wedding/honeymoon work in my grad school schedule without pushing it off for a year.  It's at 5pm, but it doesn't start getting dark until 8pm in August.  I'm just going to provide water bottles and fans and hopefully everyone will be having such a good time they won't be too miserable.  Thankfully most of the seating during the ceremony will be under two huge trees so there should be some shade.

In the end, the people who love you most will be there and the heat won't matter!
  • I agree with what the prior posters said.

Because you have not even chosen a date, pick one you think will be comfortable for most of your guests, if that's what is important to you. Are most of the people your age, ie younger? Or do you have a lot of older family members who will not be able to take a lot of heat?

You can pick any month you want because it's YOUR day. Don't worry about your colors, because it's your day and you can do whatever you want. So what if it's in the fall, and your colors are bright and summery? Who cares?

You might want to look into a venue that has an available building for part of the festivities, that's air conditioned, and set up one or more tents outdoors for other parts of the celebration. We are getting married in Michigan in August, and expect it to be HOT. But, because I worried about the possibility of it raining on my parade, I found a place that is flexible, and we are eating indoors, and I plan a tent right next to it outdoors for the dancing/celebrating part. If it rains, we move it all indoors, if not, some of the people will be indoors, some outdoors.

Go with what you want, and I'm sure you will find a compromise that suits you both, as well as your families.

Good luck.
  • It really just depends on your specific area.  My wedding was in Idaho, and we originally considered June, July, and August.  June in that area is way too unpredictable (sometimes it is still cold and windy) and August tends to be extremely hot.  So we settled on July and it worked out quite nicely.

And like Dani said, just because you are getting married in the fall doesn't mean you have to use fall colors.  So don't let that affect your choice.
  • I am having an ourdoor wedding in July in Vancouver BC. I am not too worried about the heat. I am more concerned about rain because Vancouver gets more rain than pretty much anywhere in North America, so I had to pick the sunniest time of the year.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards