Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

What should I make out of my grandmother's wedding dress?

I'm getting married in the spring. My aunt recently emailed me to let me know that when she got married, she wore her mother's (my grandmother, who is since deceased) wedding dress. She wanted to have her daughter wear it when she got married, but she was too tall. So they had part of the dress made into a purse for her to carry at her wedding. My aunt sews, and offered to make me something to carry as well out of the dress. I was thinking maybe a handkerchief. Any suggestions on what to make?

Re: What should I make out of my grandmother's wedding dress?

• Options
    what if your wrap your flowers with a piece of the dress?
  • Options
    or your garter if you are wearing one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love the garter idea. Add some blue and it will fulfill.. Something old, something new and something blue....
  • Options
    it would be kind of neat to make something you could use in daily life too so you always had a piece of Grandma around! but i'm not sure what. A handkerchief, which I know most people don't really use very often since kleenex rolled around. could you make a flower for you hair or something like that? or a headband? just some ideas...
    ~basquing in the wedded bliss~
  • Options
    We made a christening dress out of my gown.  Used the material and trimmed and embellished it with the lace and beading.  Hopefully, it will get passed down!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    I had a piece of my moms dress sewn into my dress underneath the top layer as a little pocket and I've used pieces of the lace to edge my veil ; )
  • Options
    If you were happy to use it elsewhere in your wedding you could use it for the RB pillow or to cover your guest book too.
  • Options
    If you do your veil, that would be special and then you could reuse that someday for part of a Christening dress.  Also, the pillow would be a good idea, then you could put in a keepsake box of wedding things, or in a spare bedroom or something.  I agree it would be nice if you could use it still after the wedding.
  • Options
    I had pieces of my mother's and grandmother's lace made into my veil.  I cried when I put it on.
  • Options
    I am using my grandmother's slip-depending on the material of her dress-that might be something to make-or a wrap.
  • Options
    i like the headband idea and wrapping the flowers with a piece of it - or maybe both?? either way, i think it's rreally great you're using pieces of the gown for each o9f your weddings, that's really sweet :)
    She's always wanted to be a princess and he's always wanted to be a hero; as fate would now have it, she is his princess and he is her hero *Semper Fi* Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I used to know an artist in San Fransico who made a wedding dress into teddy bears for the daughters of one of his clients.  (the mother died & dress wasn't stored correctly so they couldn't wear it at their own weddings.)  Apparently it was quite the tear jerker when the father gave his two daughters the bears at the eldest daughter's wedding.  I think he used button for the eyes & joints...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My aunt used fabric from my grandmother's wedding gown to make an organza flower with lots of layers.  It was about 1.5" around, and she sewed tiny beads into the center.  I pinned it to my bouquet on my wedding day.  We also took pics of the dress & used them to make custom stamps for our invitations, AND took the dress, placed it on a dress form, and put it on display near the fireplace at our reception.  I loved her dress!  LOL.

I also like the idea of using the fabric as a cover for a wedding album.  :)

Good luck!
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • Options
    My mom used the lace from my grandmother's dress to make ring pillows for all of the granddaughters.  
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Options
    i'm having a bolero jacket made out of my mother's veil.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• Options
    If you use part of the dress for a handkerchief, the hanky can later be turned into a Christening bonnet. And a ring pillow can be turned into a 'tooth pillow' for the tooth fairy.

• Options
    smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I have bridal buttons on my gown and the top button is a button from my grandmother's gown.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    My daughter-in-law's mother made the ring-bearers pillow from her dress
  • Options
    Here is a suggestion.  Have a hand made flower made from the fabric. Add some crystals and pearls by sewing them on randomly. Set the flower in a little poof of French netting, sewing it in a couple stiches in the middle. Pin it in your hair for a reception headpiece to coordinate with your bouquet wrap that was previously suggested. 
    We make handmade flowers at Dolce Vita Bridal if you need any help. 
  • Options
    Cleo7Cleo7 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I'm using the sleeves from my mother's dress to wrap my bouquet.  I was going to wear my Nana's headpiece, but I'm opting not to wear a veil.  Instead, I'm taking one flowers off of it to pin onto my bouquet.

I like the idea of making rosettes out of a piece of fabric or lace from the gown!  you could add a little detail like that almost anywhere!
    image Final Count: 80 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LyrekLyrek member
    First Comment
    Amazing suggestions, thanks a lot everyone.  Lots more to think about now...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards