Florida-South Florida
Options

Venue Help!

Hi Knotties! I'm a newly engaged bride who moved across the country 2 weekd after my FI proposed. We're both from South Florida & are looking for venues ideally in Palm Beach/Broward counties but are definitely open to Miami if it's the right place. I get so depressed when I start looking for venues because I feel like nothing works! We did a whirlwind tour before we left and found nothing that worked for us. Our total budget is $25k, I have NO clue how much of that should go towards venue + catering (and if we start with a blank space venue, is it a different percentage than a hotel?) I'm going insane, considering hiring a full service planner bc I'm so far away and don't know where to start, but I'm hesitant to dedicate $5k (20% of our budget!!) to a planner. Is there anywhere we're not thinking of? Besides:
  • Sundy House
  • Delray Beach Marriot
  • Seagate
  • The Colony (PB)
  • Tower Club (Ftl)
  • Rusty Pelican
  • Pelican Grand
  • The Addison
  • Old School Square
  • The Omphoy (actually loved this venue, but family has expressed serious concerns about whether it will be around/under the same ownership by our wedding date, and it would be a tight squeeze for our guest list)

We also looked at the big hotels, at my Mom's behest (4 Seasons, both Ritzes, Boca Resort, even the Fontainebleu, which obviously don't work with our budget.) I feel so lost. We just want a place that's unique, has a beautiful ceremony space, and will fit <140? We're totally open to Fridays and Sundays so we can find the best deal on a beautiful venue....but no venue seems like the right fit. Am I crazy? Should I just hire a full service planner who's maybe thought of something we haven't? Who can magically make the Flagler museum's site fee disappaer?Wink

Re: Venue Help!

• Options
    edited September 2012
    First of all, congrats on your engagement! I am pretty sure it is hard to plan a wedding when being far away but I am positive you can find a great wedding planner for a lot less than 5k.

If you are looking for planners than I would highly suggest to check out these planners:
    - Liz & Lex Events (LOVE these ladies, they are my planners)
    - Michelle Tandron from Event by Michelle
    - Danielle Pearson
    - Just Chic Weddings and Events
    - Events by Mariel

Now, you mentioned about considering a blank space. I am not sure what you meant entirely but if you are considering renting out a blank canvas location not associated to a hotel then you can save some money when it comes to renting the actual location. However, it may be difficult if the location requires you bring in all of your own vendors. It's something to consider.

If you want something in Miami-Dade County (since you mentioned The Rusty Pelican) then check out these venues:
    - Comber Hall (you won't need a wedding planner because the venue comes with one and it's all inclusive).
    - The CocoPlum (same deal as Comber Hall)
    - Coral Gables Country Club
    - The Art Deco Welcome Center in Miami Beach (blank canvass)
    - The MayFlower Hotel in Coconut Grove
    - Schenbly's Winery in Homestead
    - Spanish Monestary
    - Parrot Jungle at Watson Island (I have heard great reviews especially regarding catering)

If you want something around the Broward or WPB area then here are some other choices:
    - The Frenchman's Preserve
    - Spanish River Library
    - B Ocean in Ft. Lauderdale
    - The Bonnet House Museum
    - Eden Regal Ballroom and Catering
    - The Hamlet Country Club
  • Options
    Thank you so much! I'll look into those planners and venues (I've read a lot about Liz & Lex on these boards!) And that's a whole treasure trove of venues I didn't think of, thank you again Smile
  • Options
    Check out the Players Club in Wellington
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm getting married at the Marriott hotel on Singer Island.  Now, I know...a Marriott, not exactly "unique", but this spot is BEAUTIFUL!!!  The restaurant holds 115 (more if you rent chivari chairs) and it's definitely cost effective for a great spot with all the trimmings.  Call and ask for Danielle Amdur - she's AHHHHH MAZING!

Another suggestion is the Jupiter lighthouse - they do ceremonies there, so you would still need to do something for the reception.  Also, Sugar Cane Bistro is "rustic" - I didn't look at it, but it seems cute and Key West"y"
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Venue Help!:
    I LOVE the Marriott Singer Island! When I checked out the packages I remember thinking they were out of our budget, but now that we're open to Friday and Sunday evenings I will definitely reconsider, thank you!
  • Options
    Knotties, you rock. Thanks everyone for helping talk me down out of my "we'lllllneverfindavenueletselooope" freak out. I emailed 2 planners, and one suggested we check out The Colony (the very first place we looked at) I went back over my notes and...couldn't figure out why we'd ruled it out! After talking to my mom and FI, FI and I are pretty much sold. 

We need to talk to the weddings manager there to see if we can get the price down (I got ruthless with our guest list but I'm still a little nervous about the large chunk of our budget the venue will take up). And the manager there is such a sweetheart and is also a certified planner, so we hopefully won't need to hire a DOC (she had said during our initial meeting she'll be our DOC!)

So we're hoping to sign on the dotted line in a few weeks, and I'm combing the boards for great photogs between 2-3k, how to DIY our flowers, and lots of other fun budget tips. THank you guys for your help, and I'll keep everyone posted!
  • Options
    Congrats!  I'm never on this board anymore, just lurking :)

We had our wedidng reception at the Delray Beach Golf Club.  Our budget with 100-150 guests was the same as yours.  The coordinator (Beth) was super nice and helpful.  I'm attaching a few pics of the venue, including the cake which they provided.

• Options
    Also, for flowers we used Loves Flowers in downtown WPB, they delivered to Delray.  They turned out beautiful and was within budget, unlike many of the other flower shops we visited. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards