Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

wedding godparents and invitations

I'm curious to see if anyone has a godmother and godfather that are taking part in blessing the couple. I don't mean godparents from when you were baptized, rather, godparents that you (as a couple) selected to bless your marriage. It's a cultural and religious requirement for us, and since the godparents are considered even more important than the parents their names are on the invitations.

The invitations are giving me quite a headache. We have to include our parents' name since both sets are hosting, and they do not like "together with their parents" type of wordings. Moreoever, we have to include the godparents' names, but not in a manner that sounds like they are hosting or inviting, since they are not. Including our names, it means 4 couples need to be listed! I've been spending days trying to find examples of wording, but haven't had any luck at all... not even examples of wording that I didn't like! 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? My creativity has clearly left the building for the day. TIA!

Re: wedding godparents and invitations

• I've never heard of this before. Perhaps someone on the appropriate cultural board would be more helpful.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_wedding-godparents-and-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:28e53a8e-f4e1-4b19-b2f3-738ce6fcf537Post:be82b4cd-018a-4aa0-ad75-f3fc36fcec92">Re: wedding godparents and invitations</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never heard of this before. Perhaps someone on the appropriate cultural board would be more helpful.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>wow I didn't even realize there was a cultural board! I'll go poke around there and see if there has been anything like this asked before. THanks for pointing me in the right direction</div>
  • I would ask the church that is marrying you for an example of the proper wording for the invitation.  Or ask if they can put you in touch with other or former brides to speak with them about their invitation wording.  Here is my guess for how you could word the invite:

Mr & Mrs Andra
    and
    Mr & Mrs Andre
    cordially invite you to witness the wedding of their children:
    Andra
    and
    Andre
    with the blessing of godparents, John and Jane Doe

Date
    Time

Its wordy, but may work for you.
  • If I'm not mistaken, this is a Puerto Rican custom.   or so I read on the knot

• I'm Filipino and many Filipinos do this.  I am not putting our 'sponsors'/'godparents' on the invitation itself (mine will be included in the program) but I know traditionally Filipinos do.  I have seen it done a couple of ways -- usually as an insert.  So you could do it as a separate insert.  You'd have the traditional invitation worded the usual way:

Mr & Mrs. Bride Parents
    and
    Mr and Mrs. Groom Parents
    request the honor of your presence
    at the marriage of their children
    Bride
    to
    Groom

and then on the opposite side or insert
    Bridal Entourage
    Principal Sponsors
    To Stand as Witness to Our Vows
    godparent
    godparent

Best Man/Maid of Honor
    names

Secondary Sponsors
    names

If you google "filipino wedding invitation" I'm sure you'll find plenty of examples. 

I am not sure what culture you are from, but hope that is a useful option...

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards