Hawaii
Options

DJ vs MC

Hey you guys. Are you getting a DJ, MC, or both? I always thought they were one in the same but our wedding coordiantor said they are two different things... the DJ does music only and the MC does like announcements and keeps the crowd going. Any recommendations on someone who does both? If no recommendations... and you had to choose just 1 ... do you do an iPOD DJ plus MC or do you just do a DJ and have no announcemenets?

Re: DJ vs MC

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We hired an awesome DJ who did all of our ceremony music, cocktail music, reception music, AV for the slideshow, and MCing :)  But my rec would be for Maui and probably not as relevant for you :) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tanq! Are you guys really jumping into the water?! What an awesome picture!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    YEP!  Here's immediately after :)

And then:

I highly recommend TTD shoots.  So. Fun.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ETA - your WC should be able to help you find someone that both DJs and MCs.  If she insists it must be separate people, then I call B.S. -- plenty of vendors do both, but not all do.
  • Options
    dianalynmdianalynm member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who do you rec for a Maui DJ, Tanq? FI wants to have an actual DJ so I guess my iPod DJ s out :(
    DW Siggy Challenge
    Dream Honeymoon Destination: Bora Bora

My Planning Bio *updated 04/10/12*

Visit Maui.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jobride65jobride65 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of the locals here in Hawaii do seperate DJ and MC.
    Professional MCs job is to entertain the crowd aside from doing the usual announcing etc. Many of the professional MCs in Hawaii are also professional comedians, tv/radio personalities. Thus the fun, yet professional MC. Yes true a lot of the DJs also MC, so it's up to you. It's all about what you are looking for.
    If you just want someone to be behind the mic running through an agenda, then go with the DJ who does MC-ing. But if you're looking more for entertainment for your guest then hire a professional MC.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think we interviewed 8-10 DJs before settling on DJ Dan (Dan Viola).  He's super professional & talented & organized -- he did all the heavy lifting, arranged to rent a screen and projector from an AV company with setup, MC'd without taking over the event or too much cheese, and recommended songs where we just didn't care -- background cocktail music, father/daughter dance, etc.  He's not the kind of DJ you'd find in a club, but he is perfect for a classy but fun wedding.  Our guests had a lot of fun dancing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards