Hawaii
Options

Mt. Haleakala Timeline

Hi ladies, for those of you who have driven up to Mt. Haleakala for the sunrise, could you tell me the time line. I looked online and it says in October, the sunrise is at 6:15, so what time does that mean we should arrive at the top of Mt. Haleakala? I see it takes about 1 hour 45 minutes to get there from Lahaina, just not sure what time we should be there for? Also, a little concerned baout timing as we have our marriage license appointment later that morning. About how long did you stay up top after sunrise? How long did it take to get down.. same i'm guessing but wasnt sure traffic etc... any info would be great!

Re: Mt. Haleakala Timeline

• Options
    When we went we were there 209 minute before sunrise.  It was FREEZING cold so we couldn't bare to be outside the car for too long.  So we got out 10 minutes before went over to the view point and took pictures till 15 minutes after sunrise, got back in the car cause we needed to defrost.  Then drove down to Kula lodge for breakfast and headed back home.  I think it took us longer to get up cause it was so dark and coming down the only issue was to drive slow cause there were downhill bikers that would take up the lane so we had to tail them till there was room to pass.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_mt-haleakala-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:97bde2d4-2ce2-4868-885f-173e3d18f227Post:2f56b19b-515c-4a16-9b91-315d875b2a71">Re: Mt. Haleakala Timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]When we went we were there 209 minute before sunrise.  It was FREEZING cold so we couldn't bare to be outside the car for too long.  So we got out 10 minutes before went over to the view point and took pictures till 15 minutes after sunrise, got back in the car cause we needed to defrost.  Then drove down to Kula lodge for breakfast and headed back home.  I think it took us longer to get up cause it was so dark and coming down the only issue was to drive slow cause there were downhill bikers that would take up the lane so we had to tail them till there was room to pass.
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

Did you mean 20 minutes before sunrise?
  • Options
    Great question. I was wondering the same thing. We wake up really early now so we could be up there "209" mins before, but not if is cold. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_mt-haleakala-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:97bde2d4-2ce2-4868-885f-173e3d18f227Post:736f465c-6d1e-414d-9dfe-c9614dbdce98">Re: Mt. Haleakala Timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mt. Haleakala Timeline : Did you mean 20 minutes before sunrise?
    Posted by allisonpickup80[/QUOTE]
    Hahaha yes, sorry I should have proof read it again.  I was in a rush to get out the door.  20 minutes before sunrise.  For us it was just perfect, but there were a lot of people already there when we arrived.  Recommendations, really warm clothes, hot coffee or tea in a thermos and huddling together. 
  • Options
    We got there about 45 mins before sunrise.....and we were super happy we did cause the upper parking lot (with the viewing centre - where you get the best view) filled up almost immediately after we got there and from what I understand, the lower parking lot filled up almost as quickly right after.  So if you want to get the good view, I'd just suck it up and say the earlier, the better.  We had a little nap in the car until it was time to see the sunrise.

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_mt-haleakala-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:97bde2d4-2ce2-4868-885f-173e3d18f227Post:1ebd2263-2fa9-45d8-b018-2fcc95f04cbe">Re: Mt. Haleakala Timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]We got there about 45 mins before sunrise.....and we were super happy we did cause the upper parking lot (with the viewing centre - where you get the best view) filled up almost immediately after we got there and from what I understand, the lower parking lot filled up almost as quickly right after.  So if you want to get the good view, I'd just suck it up and say the earlier, the better.  We had a little nap in the car until it was time to see the sunrise.
    Posted by janeash[/QUOTE]

How was the ride down? Was there a lot of traffic? Or did it flow smoothly? We have a marriage license apt that morning so I'm just hoping we get back in time!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_mt-haleakala-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:97bde2d4-2ce2-4868-885f-173e3d18f227Post:19757629-d829-428a-b107-15446a4b6287">Re: Mt. Haleakala Timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mt. Haleakala Timeline : How was the ride down? Was there a lot of traffic? Or did it flow smoothly? We have a marriage license apt that morning so I'm just hoping we get back in time!

<div>We were back down by about 7:30/8:00ish, I think.  The traffic flowed quite nicely cause a lot of people stayed to look around a bit and we just left (we'd already seen it in daylight).  It also got quite foggy while we were there (we almost missed the sunrise) and it was FREEZING so we left pretty quick.  If the weather is good, I think you'd get down quite a lot faster.....we had to stay slow because it was so foggy we could hardly see the road.</div>

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks for info!
  • Options
    We went from Lahaina and left around 3 and got there about 40 minutes before the sunrise, which I think was 5:45 when we were there.  I highly recommend going early, bc the lot was already crowded when we got there.  TAKE A FLASHLIGHT!  We were so glad we did bc we were able to see the trail to hike up a little higher and out the way of the bus tour crowds and have a bit more intimate experience.  It is awesome to see the moon and stars and the color change as the sun is preparing to rise is amazing.  Take a towel to sit on, the rocks are cold! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_mt-haleakala-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:97bde2d4-2ce2-4868-885f-173e3d18f227Post:b088def0-1184-4567-baa1-463777319e11">Re: Mt. Haleakala Timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went from Lahaina and left around 3 and got there about 40 minutes before the sunrise, which I think was 5:45 when we were there.  I highly recommend going early, bc the lot was already crowded when we got there.  TAKE A FLASHLIGHT!  We were so glad we did bc we were able to see the trail to hike up a little higher and out the way of the bus tour crowds and have a bit more intimate experience.  It is awesome to see the moon and stars and the color change as the sun is preparing to rise is amazing.  Take a towel to sit on, the rocks are cold! 
    Posted by hdhorn[/QUOTE]

Great tips!!! thanks!
  • Options
    I have this planned for the second day we're there as we also have our marriage license appt. the first morning.  We were planning on going with a tour group though to avoid driving in the dark up the mountain.  But I'm whimpy like that.  Embarassed
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_mt-haleakala-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:97bde2d4-2ce2-4868-885f-173e3d18f227Post:bc4194dd-c96f-4d48-89d4-efbf6d5799c5">Re: Mt. Haleakala Timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have this planned for the second day we're there as we also have our marriage license appt. the first morning.  We were planning on going with a tour group though to avoid driving in the dark up the mountain.  But I'm whimpy like that. 
    Posted by TacoriLover[/QUOTE]

FWIW:  The drive up the mtn was not any worse than the other driving we did while in Maui.  There are plenty of other cars and buses going the same way.  But we also did not like the idea of being "trapped" on a bus with strangers, especially pre-dawn =)
  • Options
    PP's have most of it covered. I'll just add: If you drive, make a couple of short stops on the way up to avoid altitude sickness. Bring gloves. If you have long hair, tie it up. It is quite windy up there. Be sure to wear shoes & socks, also because of the cold & wind. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_mt-haleakala-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:97bde2d4-2ce2-4868-885f-173e3d18f227Post:659c5803-a5f1-4dc1-90af-24a8ac33ecca">Re: Mt. Haleakala Timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]PP's have most of it covered. I'll just add: If you drive, make a couple of short stops on the way up to avoid altitude sickness. Bring gloves. If you have long hair, tie it up. It is quite windy up there. Be sure to wear shoes & socks, also because of the cold & wind. 
    Posted by MrsKathyC[/QUOTE]

Thanks!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_mt-haleakala-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:97bde2d4-2ce2-4868-885f-173e3d18f227Post:f3256db7-053a-4c99-bae8-5f0e68f0ba7b">Re: Mt. Haleakala Timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mt. Haleakala Timeline : Thanks!

<div>Hello, I was wondering if any of you have been to Haleakala for sunrise in early November? If so, is it crowded / are there spots to have a little privacy or it is packed all the time? Thanks!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards