Catholic Weddings

Priest Retiring!

I'm so sad.  Our priest announced that he will be retiring at the end of November!  I'm really nervous about this whole situation.  My FI is non-Catholic and I know that my priest would make him feel comfortable and not make him feel like we wanted him to convert.  He is just the nicest man.  I'm now worried about meeting with the new priest to talk about the marriage stuff.  I don't have any sort of relationship with him yet (obviously, since he's new!) and my current priest has been my priest my ENTIRE life-did my baptism, first communion, and confirmation.

This will be interesting!  Luckily, my priest said that he will come back to help with the ceremony, but I really hope we can still do marriage prep classes with him....

Re: Priest Retiring!

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    the new priest should hopefully proceed with some guidance from the retiring priest.  while our priest did all of the pre cana with us, many priests now simply refer couples to an engaged weekend or other courses taught by lay persons.  i'm sure if you asked your priest he may be willing to see you through to the wedding even though he is retiring as the official parish priest.
  • edited December 2011
    Most churches will allow you to have another priest come in and witness a marriage. I know he is retiring, but maybe he will still do it for you. If not, like calypso said hopefully the new priest will give the old one some good info to go on. And yes, while you will likely have a few meetings with the priest, we still had to attend and Engaged Encounter weekend as well.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Many priests retire simply because they can't handle the full schedule and responsibilities needed of them. Most days are continues very early mornings until late night meetings. These priests get the status of retirement and sometimes still live in residence at parishes to still minister sacraments when they are able.

I mention this because depending on his situation, he can still be "your" priest that does everything with you. Many times ones that change assignments or retire continue to follow through with all of their previous commitments.
  • edited December 2011
    As I mentioned in my OP he said he would be willing to still do the ceremony (or at least part).  He is retiring mostly because of his age, I think.  He is almost 80 and luckily still in amazing health!  I just hope he will still be willing to do the marriage prep classes with us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards