Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Matching Wedding Bands?

We already have my wedding band because my e-ring and band are a set that have been in my FI's family for generations. Obviously, we didn't choose the metal that my rings are set in, but I absolutely love them. My question is, my band is set in platinum, but we can't afford a platinum band for my FI. I suggested we use white gold, but he says he prefers yellow gold. Is this a big deal? I always though wedding bands were supposed to somewhat match to show that the two of you go together. Thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Matching Wedding Bands?

• They absolutely do not have to match each other.   This is a piece of jewelry he will be wearing every day for the rest of his life (we hope!).  If he wants yellow gold, then go with yellow gold.  It's NBD.

Also, just our of curiosity, have you looked at other metals like titanium or tungsten?  These are really attractive and a lot of men like the way they look and feel.  Might be something to look at.  But if he's stuck on yellow gold, then just go with it.
    DSC_9275
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Avion. You should get the ring you can afford and that your FI wants to wear.

My rings are Pt, and H's is cobalt chromium.  We like that they're the same color, roughly, and yet the styles are quite dissimilar.
  • They don't have to match.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ours are both going to be white gold, but they are completely different styles. They definitely do not have to match, he should pick something out that he loves and would wear for the rest of his life!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Mine is white gold with diamonds, his is tungsten with carbon fiber. They look nothing alike, but I like that they each fit our personalities.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • I said no, but FI and I DO have matching rings. Its just the one we both like. We did get a Tungsten one that he can wear at work because he works on machinery. I don't care that he wears one at work, but he wants to. SO no, they don't have to match. We just got lucky...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • They deffinalty don't have to match.  If that is the case we could be screwed.
  • My mom wears platinum and my Daddy has yellow gold -- she got a new set made twenty-something years after they got married because she didn't like yellow gold, so it wasn't the original intention, but I don't think it matters in the least. People will know you're married regardless of what color the metal is.

• Nope.  I got something I liked and he got something he liked.  Two different types of metal.  We're both happy with what we're wearing and that's all that matters.  :)
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • let him get what he wants. they don't have to match.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like white metals so my E-ring is platinum and I am planning on having a platinum wedding band. FI LOVES yellow gold and really wanted to have his wedding band to be yellow gold. At first I was opposed but then figured that as he wears it and loves me I don't care. He is the one who is going to be wearing it anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kaylamangelokaylamangelo member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    It's just tradition in my family for the color to be fairly similar but it really shouldn't matter to you. Let him get the one he likes, he will be bearing it for the rest of his life :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards