September 2013 Weddings

NWR: First hiccup

FI and I moved two weeks ago, but because we're both coming from our parents, we've been sort of here, sort of there while we finish packing and moving.  FI doesn't start his new job for another two months, so he's still living at home during the week.

I spent Sunday night at the apartment, but left Monday morning.  My sister was there until about 1:30 Monday.  I got back to the apartment last night (Wednesday) around 11:30 at night.  I was so tired and all I wanted to do was go to sleep.

Our backup battery on the smoke detector died.  I had to drive to the local 24 hour CVS to get a new battery.  NBD.  I get back and change the battery and nothing happens.  There's a reset button so I push it.  It keeps chirping.  I had two batteries in the pack so I tried the other one.  Double checked to make sure it was in right.  Made sure the vents were clean.  Still chirping.  I don't have a users manual and I don't have the internet set up yet so no computer to look it up.  All I have is my phone for general instructions on smoke detectors and I did everything they said to do.  It's now midnight.  I have no clue how long it's been going off (it started sometime between Monday afternoon and Wednesday night.. our poor neighbors!).

I had to kill the breaker, pull out the battery, and hit the reset until it died.  Then I had to turn the breaker back on, push the new battery back in for the 100th time, and hit the reset button.  That seemed to do it.  I wanted to cry.  I was so tired and it wouldn't shut up and it was too late to call the landlord and too loud to sleep through.

I'm glad it's better now but it was a rough night.  Plus my cousin lost his hockey game in overtime so that was a bummer too.  I can't wait to go back to my apartment tonight, pour myself some wine, and relax with some music on.

Re: NWR: First hiccup

• Smoke detectors save lives but they're still the devil.  I've been in your shoes as I've lived in my home alone long before my FI came in the picture.  I didn't have as much sense as you to try to look it up.  I took a baseball bat to it.  Seriously. 
    Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I hate smoke detectors for that same reason Boston. When I lived at my townhouse the neighbor on the side that connected to my bedroom passed away. While the house was vacant the battery died in the smoke detector. I couldn't sleep through the night in my bedroom for about a week, it got so bad I started sleeping on the couch with my bedroom door shut. It got to the point where I was about to call the police or something to make it stop.

I'm sorry your cousin lost his game, but its awesome that he made it as far as he did.

I think you deserve a nice glass of wine, or a bottle. Enjoy!

***September 2013 March Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Goofy, that's amazing!!!  My bat is still at my parents' house.  Otherwise, I just might have.  FI told me to rip it off the ceiling.  That's what made me think of the breakers.  I was ready to kill the power to the whole apartment for the night!
  • At one point I had every detector in the house hanging. When one had a dying battery they all chirped until you replaced the battery. Seriously the devil. I love that you took a bat to it Goofy.
    ***September 2013 March Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards