Florida-South Florida

Are you tipping your vendors??

Hi there!  FI and I have begun to discuss tipping our vendors and we're not exactly sure how much? what is appropropriate? what we do if they have an assistant?

Of course we are tipping catering- no doubt.  But what is the protocol for other vendors?  Are y'all giving extra "thank yous" to your vendors?  If you're already married Knotties- did you and your now Hubby tip, if so, can you give a guide as to what?

Our coordinator gave us a few ideas but I wanted to see what you ladies thought.
Thanks!!!
image Le Creuset 5qt Oval French Oven in Caribbean Blue Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Are you tipping your vendors??

• This was a topic of discussion not too long ago.  Here is the link.
    :-)

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_tips-5

image 82 Invited
    image 35 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image41 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: Dec 19
    image Favorite Registry Item/South FL Board
  • We are tipping our wedding planner. No one else because they all own their own businesses.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I have posted about this before, and I really disagree with faithcaitlin on it. The 'rule' if you go by the brideal magazines is to not tip if 'they own their own business', but I think thats a bunch of nonsense.

Would you feel comfortable not tipping at a restaurant if the waiter and the cook owned it? Certainly not.

You should tip if you feel that your vendors do a good job and go above and beyond on your wedding day. Faith, you say you'll tip your wedding planner, but what if she does a mediocre job? You'll tip simply because? 

And what about your photographer or dj? If they do a great job, they get nothing? Don't you think your photographer will make sure to get your photos to you faster if you show your appreciation at the end of your wedding day? Maybe they'll put a little extra work into your ablums? Not tipping him simply because he owns his business, i think, is a bad idea.

Katie, the best rule of thumb is, give what you think is fair. If your videographer was great to work with and you felt they did a great job, give him something, even if its only 20 bucks - just to show your appreciation. I'm sure it will come back to you in the end.
  • thanks girls!! and sorry I missed this post earlier...I travel a ton for work and miss a alot of posts.  very helpful!! 
    image Le Creuset 5qt Oval French Oven in Caribbean Blue Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes, we will be tipping certain vendors who have gone above and beyond for us!
  • I am, without a doubt. Then again, I used to be in the service industry, and it doesn't matter to me if the vendor is an owner or not- they're still working hard! I'll be tipping:

The DOC (because she's going above and beyond and then some), my Rabbi will be tipped by staying for the wedding and getting dinner/dancing/drinks, the photographers, videographers, dj, bartender (unless he's tipped through the venue- I'll have to ask), and valet parking guy. The service charge for our venue (catering) includes the tipping for the servers.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards