New York-Western

Rochester Museum and Science Center--tips and help?

Hi all -- really excited about our upcoming wedding which I'm hoping is going to be Aug 27th, 2011 (haven't signed the contract yet).

After visiting a bunch of venues in the Rochester area we decided on the RMSC because we think it's totally awesome.  The only drawback is the coordinator is difficult to get a hold of.  Plus we can't taste the food until we sign the contract.  So I'm looking for people who've had weddings here -- some reassurances that despite the problems working with the coordinator it will be ok, and the food is wonderful.  Any tips on how to communicate with them and how the process goes will be great.  I have read on another board that the caterer is actually quite attentive.

For people trying to get in touch with her, here's some tips that I found worked:

1.  Let her know your planned wedding date and number of guests right in the initial contact.  We loved the place so much that we were willing to have the wedding pretty much any time, but my mom had to call her several times and convince her that we would take any date before she would even really respond.  She said something to the effect that she doesn't normally respond if people don't have dates in mind. If you need dates I can give you 2011 dates for the Riedman Gallery that were free as of September 2010.

2.  She is better with phone calls then e-mail.  She can sometimes take some time to respond to e-mail, so follow up with a phone call.

3.  I read that one person had trouble even touring the site.  I actually went (right when they opened -- 11:00 am) and one of the staff members gave me a tour of all the buildings.  The staff were really helpful, and knowledgeable about the site.  There were some wedding-planning specific details that she couldn't give, but she seemed to know how a bunch of the weddings went and knew which spaces were available. 

Sorry for such a long post!  Hoping that I'll get some help from others who've had (or are planning) weddings here, and hoping that some of the info will help others!  Thanks!

Re: Rochester Museum and Science Center--tips and help?

• edited December 2011
    I don't actually have any advice for you, because I wasn't involved in planning this at all, but I wanted to say that my dad had his wedding reception there and it was beautiful and amazing, and the food was excellent.
  • AnemonymAnemonym member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kathryn,

Thanks for that!  Definitely makes me feel better.

Actually, I've finally gotten to meet the planner and the chef.  They are very receptive when you actually sit down and talk with them.  I think it's just a matter of getting to the table. Fingers crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards