Catholic Weddings
Options

Slightly irritated.

We are having a ceremony without a mass in July in Houston at the church I grew up in. I am currently planning the wedding from Dallas. The music coordinator is the sweetest lady, but I have been trying to coordinate the music with her since January, and have since received 3 identical emails, asking if we are having a mass, if we are doing a unity candle, etc. After I have replied all 3 times with the exact same response, I have received the same message to come meet her on a Tuesday during lunch time so we can discuss our options. I have expressed several times that I, nor my FI live in Houston and this next to impossible until the middle of June (which is way too close and things should be set by then). I have also told her exactly what I want and whatnot. I have not heard from her since the end of Feb and have sent numerous email as well as left messages on her direct line since our last 'conversation'. Am I out of line for being a little frustrated? Anyone else out there having issues with their church returning calls and/or emails?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Slightly irritated.

• Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This does sound like a frustrating situation!  It does sound like your music coordinator is cutting it kinda close.  However,  I know that parish music directors and liturgy staff can get pretty exhausted after Easter because of all the intense planning and rehearsing involved for that.  Just ask some of the knotties on this board, doctabroccoli and lalaith! 

Are there any other people at the church that you can contact to check on the music and liturgy?  Try calling the general number and talking to the parish secretary... they usually know what's going on.  Just explain your situation and see if they could help you out.  Would your priest or deacon be able to assist in the liturgy planning at all?  Could the music coordinator perhaps compromise with a Skype meeting at a Tuesday around lunchtime?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do your parents live in Houston?  Do you think your mom could go to the face-to-face meeting with the music coordinator?
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My parents do infact live in Houston. My mom works full-time but she generally has a pretty flexible schedule. That's a good idea. The Skype idea is a good one too. Thanks yall. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yeah, Easter is pretty darn exhausing, liturgically speaking.

Definitely see if your mom can meet with her.  I was planning a St. Louis wedding from Cleveland, and despite that I had my completely planned out list of songs, it was still really helpful to have my mom as a local contact with the music director.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't freak out too much.  The mass was the first thing I started planning (seriously!); and I knew what music I wanted. And it ended up being the last thing ready. We finished the programs about 48 hours before the wedding b/c of it. Like you and Docta, I was planning from out of town (lived in Columbus, getting married in Cleveland, moving to Chicago)...  I knew the music director of the church fairly well and met with him briefly about the wedding a couple of times. I wasn't really worried.  Then about 5 weeks before the wedding, he called to tell me he was leaving.  As in moving out of state. The weekend before the wedding.   He had already found me a replacement,  but I had to hunt down the replacement and call/e-mail him at least a dozen times.  He thought the wedding was this summer- not last summer!   So... don't freak out too much.   The new guy ended up giving good suggestions a week or two before the wedding and everything worked out great!  It will all get done and it will be beautiful! 
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_slightly-irritated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:ed82b5e3-5b2a-451f-a30c-bae837a9008cPost:5692e0b1-fca1-40bb-8463-eac370910796">Re: Slightly irritated.</a>:
    [QUOTE]And it ended up being the last thing ready. 
    Posted by ellen73[/QUOTE]

Yesterday was my six-month mark, so I figured now would be a good time to go ahead and contact our music director.  I laughed when I received his email telling me it's still too early.  =)
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards