Delaware
Options

Plus Size Dress Search

Hello All,

I am looking for a bridal shop that has a good selection of plus size wedding gowns. I am having no luck in Lower DE, everything is in catalogs and I am not able to try anything on and my dress search is getting quite frustrating. Any suggestions of shops I can go to in Upper DE?

Re: Plus Size Dress Search

• Options
    edited December 2011

Try Simon's Bridal in Dover.  They carry plus sized gowns to try on.  I went there in summer 2008 (hottest day of June that year) and tried on about 15 gowns.  If that doesn't work out for you, you can always try David's Bridal off of Kirkwood Highway, Bridal and Tuxedo Shoppe off of Kirkwood Highway, and Brides and Grooms off of Rt 4 (behind Christiana Hospital).  And if that still doesn't work for you, try Alfred Angelo in Lancaster (this is where I found my gown and I'm plus sized).  Good Luck!  It took me about 6 months to find my gown. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!! That helps alot!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ditto Brides and Grooms and Alfred Angelo.  I am plus size bride as well (my dress is a size 18).  Also, remember that if a salon is an authorized seller of any brand, just because they don't have it in the store doesn't mean they can't get it for you.
    Brides and Grooms doesn't have much plus size in the shop, but they may now that they are expanding.  But that didn't matter to me, and I will tell ya why:  Because they were so encouraging to me when I tried on dresses.  The dresses never zipped, and I was so scared to come out in front of others, etc, and Faith (the girl I worked with), told me I was a beautiful girl now, I would be a beautiful girl then, and I had found a guy who loved me for me, so why do all these others matter?  She said stand up straight and proud, you're getting married!  It actually helped my self esteem quite a bit!
    What we ended up doing is heading up to Alfred Angelo in Lancaster because they do carry every style in pretty much every size (or at least the one below or above your size).  It may not be the color or whatever, but at least you get a better idea of what it will look like.  Once I had chosen my gown there, my mom went out to the car and called Brides and Grooms.  They didn't have the dress I wanted in the store, but could order it for sure since they were a seller.  Alfred Angelo wanted originally $800, on sale for $650 (plus tax!); Brides and Grooms wanted $520.  SOLD! 
    You are going to make out better at any store in DE than if you go over state lines.
    As for David's Bridal, I am not a fan for plus size brides (or any brides for that matter), because their selection for plus size brides is minimal, and overall the store service is terrible.  I have had several bad experiences, and I know others who had bad experiences as well.  Granted, there are girls who have good experiences, but it seems that the bad experiences are way more than the good, and the good experiences most of the time have some sort of trouble anyway.

Anyway, I suggest taking the trip to Lancaster, at least to try on.  Plus, Alfred Angelo doesn't charge extra for plus size gowns (many bridal dress makers do), so that is a plus right there!  They also have their upscale lines, Sapphire and Private Collection.  They used to have a line called Piccione, which was way upscale, but I am not sure if it got discontinued or not.

Good luck shopping!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Simon's in Dover had a good selection of plus sized. When all was said and done, I ordered a 16. While you can try on smaller sizes (10 & 12s) I Found that it is much easier to get a good idea of what the dress will actually look like on you when it was a bit closer to your size. I found when I tried on 14s to 20s it was easier to imagine. I found my Maggie Sottero dress at Simon's but also ordered from Brides & Grooms. It was about $110 cheaper.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    maggie sottero ::drool:: I tried a few of hers on... that satin is SOOO SOFT!!! 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I definately making a road trip North ladies... Thank you soooooo much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards