Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Possible Menu Idea. Help me complete it.

Throwing around Ideas at the moment, one is a lobster bake/pig roast this is what I've come up with so far.

Passed Apps:
Shrimp Cocktail
Deviled Eggs
Corn fritters
BBQ chicken Lollipops 
Cranberry, Walnut and Brie in puff Pastry

Stations:
Crudities and Dips
Chowder Shooters
New England Clam
Chicken Corn
Fire roasted vegetable

Dinner:
Roasted whole Pig
Lobster, clams, muscles, shrimp

Sides:
Corn on the cob
Potatoes
Onions
Braised Kale
Baby Squash, carrots & green beans in parsley butter
Cole slaw
Baked Beans
Caesar Salad
Biscuits
Cheddar herb biscuits

Desserts: watermelon, strawberry shortcake and blueberry hand pies

I need one or 2 more passed app ideas. I have no Idea what to do for a vegetarian option. Do I need to add a beef and or chicken option? Should I add macaroni and potato salad.

Re: Possible Menu Idea. Help me complete it.

• I definitely think you should add a pasta or macaroni salad.  I don't think you really need potato salad because you already have potatoes (I am guessing roasted or baked) for a side.

Honestly, I think for vegetarians you have quite a bit for them to choose from, but if you want to have something of a bit more substance (more like a main course) you can always add a portobella mushroom entree.

As for your apps, depending on how many people you have, I think you have a great selection of passed and stationed apps.  I personally don't think you really need another passed, but if you really want another choice you could always do a bite sized crab cake.

• How about adding another vegetarian passed appetizer?  Some ideas:
    mini spanikopita
    caprese salad skewers (tomato, mozzarella, and basil)

I've seen a vegetarian option at clambakes be tortellini--individual servings that are wrapped in foil and kept in the pit with the lobsters.  You could probably adapt the tortellini to be vegan, if needed.  It would be good if all the sides, especially the baked beans, were made vegetarian/vegan.  If you did the tortellini, I definitely don't think you need macaroni or potato salad, you already have a ton of sides. You could also have the tortellini as an option for guests that don't like pork or shellfish, and I definitely don't think you need to add a chicken/beef entree.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_possible-menu-idea-help-me-complete-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:5c0774db-f0cf-416e-879a-3af6356f1961Post:11521e64-1bb6-4450-8770-a6bbc53dafa8">Re: Possible Menu Idea. Help me complete it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]How about adding another vegetarian passed appetizer?  Some ideas: mini spanikopita caprese salad skewers (tomato, mozzarella, and basil) I've seen a vegetarian option at clambakes be tortellini--individual servings that are wrapped in foil and <strong>kept in the pit with the lobsters.</strong>  You could probably adapt the tortellini to be vegan, if needed.  It would be good if all the sides, especially the baked beans, were made vegetarian/vegan.  If you did the tortellini, I definitely don't think you need macaroni or potato salad, you already have a ton of sides. You could also have the tortellini as an option for guests that don't like pork or shellfish, and I definitely don't think you need to add a chicken/beef entree.
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]
    Then it's no longer vegetarian/vegan. None of my veg friends (myself included) would eat that if we knew it was cooked/stored together. <div>
    </div><div>Honestly, the pig roast + clambake doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. They seem like very opposite ideas, but it's not my wedding! I'd add a pasta with veggie option to dinner for the vegetarians. That would round it out since it appears that many of your side dishes can be vegetarian. Just make sure that at least a few of them are. You'd be surprised at how many times chicken stock or pieces of meat are used in side dishes.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_possible-menu-idea-help-me-complete-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:5c0774db-f0cf-416e-879a-3af6356f1961Post:bf9ed9d3-f177-420e-a17c-6a63853bbf17">Re: Possible Menu Idea. Help me complete it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Possible Menu Idea. Help me complete it. : Then it's no longer vegetarian/vegan. None of my veg friends (myself included) would eat that if we knew it was cooked/stored together.  Honestly, the pig roast + clambake doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. They seem like very opposite ideas, but it's not my wedding! I'd add a pasta with veggie option to dinner for the vegetarians. That would round it out since it appears that many of your side dishes can be vegetarian. Just make sure that at least a few of them are. You'd be surprised at how many times chicken stock or pieces of meat are used in side dishes.
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

If the pasta was in foil pouches and cooked in the pit, you wouldn't eat it if there was something non-vegetarian in the pit?  For our office picnic, we use park grills and cover an area with foil for veggie burgers, and that's similar to this in my mind, but maybe I'm a bad vegetarian.  *shrug*
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_possible-menu-idea-help-me-complete-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:5c0774db-f0cf-416e-879a-3af6356f1961Post:9381f6a4-d7f2-4bb8-ba1c-8987422f2eea">Re: Possible Menu Idea. Help me complete it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Possible Menu Idea. Help me complete it. : If the pasta was in foil pouches and cooked in the pit, you wouldn't eat it if there was something non-vegetarian in the pit?  For our office picnic, we use park grills and cover an area with foil for veggie burgers, and that's similar to this in my mind, but maybe I'm a bad vegetarian.  *shrug*
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]
    No, I wouldn't. But everyone is different. I think a lot of it depends on why you're veg. 
  • I think this sounds like a lot of fun. Add some mac-n-cheese to round it out and ta-da!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_possible-menu-idea-help-me-complete-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:5c0774db-f0cf-416e-879a-3af6356f1961Post:bf9ed9d3-f177-420e-a17c-6a63853bbf17">Re: Possible Menu Idea. Help me complete it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Possible Menu Idea. Help me complete it. : Then it's no longer vegetarian/vegan. None of my veg friends (myself included) would eat that if we knew it was cooked/stored together.  <strong>Honestly, the pig roast + clambake doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.</strong> They seem like very opposite ideas, but it's not my wedding! I'd add a pasta with veggie option to dinner for the vegetarians. That would round it out since it appears that many of your side dishes can be vegetarian. Just make sure that at least a few of them are. You'd be surprised at how many times chicken stock or pieces of meat are used in side dishes.
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

<div>It wouldn't be a smoked pulled pork but a pit roasted pork with an apple cranberry sauce more New England. They often do roasted chicken with Lobster bakes so I thought the pork woldn't bee that far off the mark.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards