Latino Weddings
Options

Include RSVP card with invitation?

I asked this question on the E board but it kind of reminds me of a post on here a while ago about how Latinos DO NOT rsvp. This is pretty much true with my family too, lol, so i'm wondering if I even need to spend the money on the cards and postage for RSVPs. My caterer owns a Mexican restaurant and does cakes as hobby so we are getting a really good deal, however, the prices are not per person or plate, it's just one lump sum for 180 people. I know that if not all 180 come, i will have a lot of food left over but i don't anticipate that happening. We are having chicken and steak fajitas and a taco bar all buffet style so I suspect people will go up for seconds.

So my question is, since probably about 10 people out of 180 will RSVP and I'm paying one lump sum for catering no matter how many people show, should I even include RSVP cards?

Re: Include RSVP card with invitation?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would include some type of RSVP card.  If you don't think anyone will mail something back to you and you don't want to waste money on the stamp and envelope, then at least put a card in there that says something like "Please RSVP to bride and groom by such-and-such date at [and then give your phone number and email] to let us know if you will be attending." 
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If I have the RSVP feature on my wedding website, would it be appropriate to direct them to the website to RSVP?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you don't need an exact number for your venue, then it isn't as big of a deal.  But, I agree that you will want some kind of rsvp, I don't see my family going to a website anymore than they would send in a postcard, but I do think it is a good idea to ask them to rsvp to you by a certain date!  And, then you can track who you have heard from and who you haven't.  Then, closer to the date make some calls just to make sure you are in the right ballpark!
  • Options
    NickDanielleBNickDanielleB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If they won't reply to a card in an invitation, they probably won't respond to anything online. I'd go with the PP suggestion and have them call you. Then about 2 weeks before the wedding have your mom or Tias pick up the phone and start calling people. Thats what I'm going to have to do.
  • Options
    KGuillen10KGuillen10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes!  Definitely include some sort of RSVP card.  Include your number, your email, your address, and any other contact information they need so that it will be as easy as possible for them to RSVP.   If its complicated (like, they can ONLY reply by mail or ONLY by email) they probably won't do it, but if they have easy options they might be more inclined than they otherwise would be. 
  • Options
    mercy210mercy210 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely agree with the PP's. I am Mexican & my fiancé is half white & half Mexican. About 90% of the Mexican families did not rsvp. My mom, fiancé, sis & I ended up calling all of them. While all of the white side did lol. Save money & just make a small DIY card to have them contact you. Trust me you will end up calling them anyway.
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance is Mexican and I'm black and we both have that issue. Every other party I've had, maybe 10% of the invitees RSVP'd.and half of THOSE people showed up. Everybody would just say "girl, you know I'm coming". And apparently my future in laws are the same.

So I'm only sending send-in RSVP to about half our invitees. The rest of them (younger and more computer-saavy) are getting a card with our wedding website on it so I won't waste as much on postage.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    narro5narro5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My Cousin expecifically put a note saying you need to RSVP by this date otherwise you will not be counted in. Trust me being all mexican and just showing up didnt' work this time everyone RSVP to her.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_include-rsvp-card-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:850070e9-fcce-4ed9-9576-cf3f5819360bPost:b53e02e9-9547-4e16-ae68-a85af7f25dc9">Re: Include RSVP card with invitation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My Cousin expecifically put a note saying you need to RSVP by this date otherwise you will not be counted in. Trust me being all mexican and just showing up didnt' work this time everyone RSVP to her.
    Posted by narro5[/QUOTE]

My fiance wants me to do this, but I don't think I can bring myself to do that. He thinks it's rude of people not to rsvp and I shouldn't have to call them but, I'll probably just end up calling those that don't rsvp without my fiance knowing that I had go out of my way to call them.

Maya
    (ISSR Shiloh Shepherd)
    wedding websites
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards