Hawaii
Options

Maui Vendor Reviews

I figure it was time to get some reviews done since our wedding was two months ago.  We had a very small, secret wedding in Maui.  It was only hubby, our daughter, my parents and myself... the rest of the family had no idea we were tying the knot on our trip.  :)  

We did not use a planner, and for the size of our wedding I really don't think we needed one.  I was able to find most of my vendors by reading on here, reading several photographers blogs and good ol Google.  The biggest problem I ran into was getting a permit for the beach, only because I didn't know enough about it.  My minister gave me a name of his photographer friend who filed the permit for us, he was insured so I didn't have to purchase any myself.  

Trish Barker Photography www.TrishBarker.com
Best decision we made was choosing Trish.  She was the first vendor I booked because photos were most important to us.  Trish was quick to respond via email and answered all questions I had. Our flight was cancelled and we arrived 22 hours behind schedule, missing our appt to get our marriage license.  Trish was willing to push the wedding back to a day that would work while we were there if things didn't work out.  (they did)  I loved the style of Trish's work from reading through her blog... I was also able to detect a sense of humour that was right up our alley which made our decision of choosing her so much easier.  The day of the wedding Trish was so much fun to be with, she was like an old friend rather then someone we had just met. She had also hired a second shooter, Naomi Levit whom was super easy to get along with as well.  We purchased the rights to all photos and they arrived 2-3 weeks after the wedding, which was great because it was just before Christmas.  Trish pays attention to detail and it shows in her work and in the packaging of the USB stick she sent.  We loved that Trish has a keen eye for beauty in the unordinary.  Zero complaints, and we highly recommend Trish. I was actually really sad when it was time for Trish to leave... I really felt like she was a special part of our wedding and wanted to share the evening with her too. We are looking forward to returning to Maui and having Trish take family portraits.  Our photos can be seen here: Our Nov 27 Wedding. Here is a great post Trish wrote defining her style and what you can expect, and she has a great video under the 'about me' link on her page. 

Beauty By Trisha www.beautybytrishamaui.com
Initially I was considering using Jessica like most of the brides on here.  I'm so glad I didn't.  Trisha was a wonderful way to start the day!  She is really easy to talk to, nothing about our time with her felt awkward or quiet. Trisha has contracts to do several of the celebrity residents hair and makeup but don't let that fool you... she is reasonably priced.  (and actually cheaper then Jessica)  Trisha also does a lot of print and tv work. Trisha was excellent at responding to my emails and she even phoned the morning we were leaving to confirm time details.  The morning of the wedding Trisha did a quick Q&A about what I wanted since we did not discuss this in emails. She did an EXCELLENT job of giving me exactly what I wanted.  I like to play up my eyes and keep everything else subtle and she blew my expectations out of the water.. my daughter kept saying I had 'doll eyes' because of the false lashes.  :)  She also did my daughter's hair, and touched it up too since she was running around and fell.  Trisha also did a great job of doing my mom's super fine hair and making it stay in place, as well as keeping my mom's makeup beautiful and age appropriate. I would highly recommend Trisha to any bride as I feel she takes your likes/dislikes into consideration and doesn't make you look like someone you're not. I found this video of Trisha applying makeup to a client and felt it was a good way to get to know her work. Even if you don't book her she gives some great tips for Maui brides. 

Bella Grace Wedding & Event Design http://www.bellagraceflowers.com
Mandy did a great job of giving me what I wanted.  She was professional and friendly.  Mandy did beautiful work and we were able to enjoy the bouquet for the entire time we were in Maui, it was sad that we had to throw it out the day we left because there were a lot of flowers still going strong.  I only ordered a bridal bouquet and the groom's lei since we were having such a small wedding. The groom's lei was fresh and full just how I wanted.  (in the photos the purple lei I am wearing was a present from my sister that I received at the airport, sorry don't know where it's from)  Mandy's prices were very reasonable and I felt it was good value for my money.

NoSh Maui www.noshmaui.com
Even though we weren't having a reception I still wanted a cake.  Firstly because we both LOVE sweets and secondly because I really wanted a photo of a wedding cake.  I found Veronica through our photographer's blog and I loved the sweet and simple approach to her goodies.  We ordered the smallest size and that is a regret... it was so yummy (white cake with vanilla buttercream, our fave) that I wish I was able to have more leftover for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Ha! As it was, we were able to get 10 pieces which was two nights worth for us.  Veronica was very easy to work with, I liked the ruffled look of a cake that she had on her website and decided on that.  I had also sent her a photo of a cake with ombre icing asking her to replicate the ombre effect, she gave me exactly what I was hoping for.  Due to our flight problems, I wasn't able to make it to Lumeria in time to meet her and pay for the cake.  Veronica was super sweet to leave the cake at the front desk without receiving payment,  I mailed payment while we were in Maui instead. 

Reverand Kimo www.revkimo.com
Rev. Kimo was super sweet and funny during the ceremony.  He really made the ceremony meaningful even though we met five minutes before. Rev. Kimo always responded to my emails, although they sometimes took 2-3 days, not a big deal for us but maybe an anxious bride would prefer to phone.  (I never did but it is an option)  We were also very thankful that he gave us the name of a friend to help us out with the whole permit/insurance issue.  

Sherilynn Takushi - Marriage License www.hawaiimarriagelicenseinfo.com
As mentioned already, we had major flight problems.  As a result we missed our appointment with another agent.  The night we arrived I had to frantically call around and find someone close to Makawao that was willing to meet us that evening or worse, the next morning. (day of wedding) Sherilynn was in Kahului and offered to wait in the office if we left right away, yay! The actual license process was quick and Sherilynn was efficient in filling everything out.  She also did a good job of explaining how we can see our status online and how to order a certificate quicker if we needed to.  Apparently Sherilynn has couples whom have flight problems a lot, only instead of planning the wedding for the second day on Maui as we did a lot of couples are so excited that they plan it for the next day upon arrival.  So I thought it was a good tip to mention that getting married the next day may not work out for you!

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a - Wedding Dinner www.wailearesortdining.com/humuhumu/
We went here after our ceremony on a recommendation from our makeup artist.  It was super delicious, and the ambience was great too.  There are a lot of seafood choices which is what we were looking for.  Oh, the food... I dream about eating there!  The only downside to eating here is the price as it is rather expensive.  We did know this going in and were okay with it since there were only 5 of us.  It might not be a feasible wedding dinner for everyone but it could be a great night out splurge as newllyweds.  

Coconut's - Nothing to do with wedding, just UH MAZING fish tacos!  www.coconutsfishcafe.com
We stumbled upon Coconut's by accident. We loved the fish tacos so much that during our two week stay we ate here 4 times.  The servings are generous enough that you feel full but not stuffed. The ingredients are fresh, fresh, fresh.  Seriously can't stop thinking about those fish tacos, we talk about them often in this house and can't wait to go back for some more.  The head chef and owner at Coocnut's likes to walk around and meet customers which makes your meal feel more personal.  Don't let the small size fool you, this place is where a lot of locals eat and it is usually busy.  At times while we were there the lineup was to the door.  Before we ate here we had eaten at Maui Tacos since there seemed to be so much buzz about it.  There is no comparison in my opinion.  MT did not seem to have the same quality ingredients nor did their prices seem in line with what they offered.

That seems to be it, but if you have any questions, shoot!

Re: Maui Vendor Reviews

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards