North Carolina

Can I be a good wife if I don't know how to cook?

Im a horrible cook..no literally. I set my kitchen on fire once boiling water!!! I have the PICKIEST fiance in the entire world..not exaggerating. My fiance does NOT like pasta(hates), meat other than burgers from McDonalds, vegetables, anything that tastes good he hates. I love pasta..we can't go to an italian restaurant because he hates pasta and anything with sauce and pizza. He hates steak..well lets just say he hates food period! I try cooking but I don't have anything to make because he won't eat it. Im a terrible cook and im trying to learn but he won't even try anything I make because he says that nobody eats that stuff( who doesn't eat spaghetti?) So I told him he either eats what I make or he's on his own..lol. His mom, my mom, my grandmother make him special meals for the holidays or when he's at their house because he won't eat the regular meal (he's so spoiled it makes me sick) Does anyone have any good recipes to try? I would like to cook more but I don't know what to make. If he doesn't eat it..he'll go hungry but I won't..lol.
Photobucket

Re: Can I be a good wife if I don't know how to cook?

• edited December 2011
    A crock pot will be your best friend! :)

Funny you posted this. I just created a post on my blog with the recipe for our dinner tonight.

http://thecopelands.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/perfect-combination/

As the post says, I paired it with bag rice (Knorr/Lipton Rice Sides Mushroom Rice), and canned green beans. The pork is rich, and with the two soups, can be a little on the salty side, but it's one of my favorite to make.
  • NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I agree. . crock pots are your friend!!

with that said. . . Mister needs to expand! Food is YUM-MIE!

Maybe get him to pick out foods he likes and make a cookbook for you so you'll have things to cook.

DH will eat anything, I got lucky in that area (as well as many other areas). However I do know there are certain things he LOVES so I've tried really hard to go all out when I make those meals.

Lastly. . .I agree. . .he'll either need to learn to eat at least some of what you make, or make it himself. You can't neglect your taste buds!!

Good luck! :o)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • SassyPants150SassyPants150 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have about 2 months worth of recipes on my blog with a wide variety from appetizers, main dishes, side dishes and desserts. I'm doing a 365 project with cooking.  I think I missed my calling in life =) 

http://putonyoursassypants.blogspot.com

ETA: The buffalo chicken, buffalo chicken lasagna, Asiago-Crusted pork chops, crab cake stuffed potato have been FI's faves.  I have also gotten him to eat califlower and brussels sprouts from my recipes.  Score! =)
    Favorite thing about fall...Florida Football!

What's cookin'? BFP: May 16, 2011 DD born January 19, 2012 | Chart BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary imageBabyName Ticker

• edited December 2011
    Sigh.....my DH isn't nearly as bad as your FI, but I totally understand.  My DH and I sometimes have very different likes/dislikes regarding food, and it's sometimes really frustrating to try to cook something that we'll both like.  I'm not an expert, but I'm trying to learn how to cook and I've been trying new recipes since we got married.  Here are some things I've learned:
    1) Find out what his favorites dishes are that his mom makes.  Get the exact recipe and make those meals often.  I've gotten several from Matt's mom, and we both love them! I know it's something that he really loves, and I don't have to stress about new recipes every single night.
    2) Just accept that there are some things one person likes and the other person doesn't.  Matt loves salmon.  I can't even bring myself to try it.  He doesn't have salmon as often as he wants, but he can get it at restaurants and sometimes (on the rare occasion that he's at home and I'm not), he cooks it himself at home.
    3) Matt's really hesitant to try new foods, and if I mention that I'm cooking something new, he'll usually talk me out of it or say that it sounds weird, etc.  But I've learned recently that if it's something I truly think he'll like (if he tries it), I should just make it anyway and not tell him what it is.  I've tried several recipes in the past few weeks and he actually liked most of them.  He didn't know what dinner would be until it was on the table in front of him.
    4) Be honest (and make him be honest).  I asked Matt to PLEASE tell me if I make something that he wouldn't care to ever eat again.  I would be so depressed if he pretended to like it and really hated it.....so he gives his honest opinion and that's that : )
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
  • wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You do have a picky one! DH used to be very picky but he's opened up a lot in the past few years. He'll try anything I make & he'll tell me how he feels about it. He is VERY picky when it comes to sweets & fruits...I'm pretty much limited to chocolate & strawberries or bananas. Anyway...I totally agree with the crock pot. I have a cookbook with only crockpot recipes that I picked up from Marshall's and most of the things I've made from it have been really good. 

DH's favorite food in the world are hamburgers. He could eat them for breakfast & several times a week for dinner & not get tired of them. I personally don't like making burgers but I do it for him. He will usually get a burger when we go out to eat too. 

If he cares for mexican or tacos you could try a taco casserole. DH & I both love it.

You just brown some ground beef, season it with taco seasoning & layer it with tortilla chips, salsa & cheese. I've added spinach  & potatoes & they were both good too. Just bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes & it's good to go. It's better topped with sour cream. 
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, you do have a picky one. My FI isn't picky at all, he's never not ate anything I made.

If you want, PM me your email address, I have some super easy recipes that I know you can make, and I'm sure he'd like them. My BIL is just as picky as your FI, and he loves all the ones I have in mind to give you. :o)
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Girl if you're doing the cooking, he better eat it! I'm really lucky in that I love to cook (it was self-defense growing up with my mom who could barely crack open a can... love her, but I can't eat take-out chinese every night!) and that FI will eat anything, even stuff he doesn't like, because he's so greatful he can stay out of the kitchen.

Sometimes, that actually helps him figure out he DOES like something after all.

Hmm, I would give you some to try but I have no idea what he would like! I will say that this blog- Simply Recipes- really helped me because it's a lot of basic food (roast chicken, enchiladas, casseroles, etc.) and step-by-step instructions and pictures. On the rotation in our house is usually some kind of mexican-chicken with these refried beans (so easy and yummy, I do use a smidge of bacon fat instead of olive oil... I know I know, I'm going to die of heart disease.) I love making risotto too, which is easy except for all the stirring (but if he doesn't like pasta, not sure if he would like it.) This is my favorite risotto recipe.

Do either of you like fish? Because this halibut recipe is super easy, takes no time to prepare, and is delicious. Also, if he hates veggies- try roasting some instead of boiling them, the texture is really nice and flavorful (google "roasted ____" for whatever veggie you're doing- broccoli and asparagus are awesome roasted.) Also, you can do what I did to make FI eat brussels sprouts and like them (he hated them before)- saute them, add some kind of cheese + bacon (we use blue) and you're golden! Cheddar cheese sauce is also a veggie-saver. :)
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow!  Food is so important for DH and I, we are both really big foodies and love trying new recipes and tasting new things.   We really bond over food and love cooking together. Lol, I can't imagine what I would do if he was so picky...

Anyways, yes, try foods that he likes from his past.  This is probably an easy way to get him to warm up to your cooking. Also, if you find that the execution and actual cooking is hard for you, get some good, easy cookbooks and recipes and start out slow.  Also, I love following food blogs and finding good recipes for meal inspiration. Try the crockpot thing too, because it's so easy... but I really used to hate crockpot meals, so lol there's a chance that he won't like that either.

Is there anyway you can get him involved in the process? If you make it fun and let him pick out things and help make the meal, maybe he'll be more likely to eat it when it's on the table.  Overall, it will probably be a gradual change to experiencing new foods and recipes.  Good luck! 

ps. I've been putting recipes in our newlywed blog too. 
  • janice1980janice1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow, after reading this I feel lucky.  My FI is not picky at all.  I was pretty much raised with the attitude of my mom.  I cooked it, you eat... if you don't like, go hungry or fix it yourself. 

I don't think you want to be rude to your FI, but I think if he is that picky of an eater, maybe he should be the one to cook, but if not here is a web-site that can help you find recipes. 
    http://allrecipes.com/ 

Also here is a chicken recipe you might want to try, this is one of my favorite recipes, FI loves it and it is so easy!!

- 2-4 chicken breast
    - 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
    - 1/2 cup evaporated milk
    - 1/2 cup bread crumbs
    - 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
    salt and pepper

Mix mustard and milk together in shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper in a separate bowl.  dip chicken breast in mustard mix, then in bread crumb mix.  Place in cooking dish and bake in 375 degree oven for 30-45 mins.  viola, Dijon chicken!

(cooking time will depend on how large your chicken breast are) 

Good luck!
    panther Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    wow I could NOT deal with that. I love to cook and am a huge foodie, and I love how DH is my food tester. He will eat anything!

If I was you, I would make whatever I feel like and he either eats it or not. But I'm selfish like that : )

Anyways, here are some awesome blogs that I get alot of recipes from. I also lurk on the whats cooking board on the nest to get some ideas.

http://annies-eats.com/
    http://www.singforyoursupperblog.com/
    http://www.macaroniandcheesecake.blogspot.com/
    http://joelens.blogspot.com/
    http://thenovicechefblog.com/
  • Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm the  picky one in our house, but not that bad!  What on earth does he eat if not veggies, meat or pasta???

I agree with asking his mom for recipes.  Otherwise, I'd cook for you and tell him if he doesn't like it, he is free to cook for himself.  But no fast food because that isn't in the budget!  Good luck!

• edited December 2011
    Thanks you guys for all the feedback! I def. want all the recipes you can give me so i'll probably send you all a PM! :) He's soooo picky its ridiculous! He doesn't like burgers unless they have a number beside them with large fries and a coke. I don't eat red meat or pork so im limited to chicken and fish. I try to make chicken alfredo or shrimp and he hates shrimp unless its fried and anything with sauce he won't touch. He likes tacos but only from taco bell. See why im having such a hard time?!
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_can-good-wife-dont-cook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:c82a79de-22f9-4f0a-9ed8-e3afc6f756edPost:87cb6830-7158-41f3-a93d-c50c31ebbabe">Re: Can I be a good wife if I don't know how to cook?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have about 2 months worth of recipes on my blog with a wide variety from appetizers, main dishes, side dishes and desserts. I'm doing a 365 project with cooking.  I think I missed my calling in life =)  <a href="http://putonyoursassypants.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow">http://putonyoursassypants.blogspot.com</a> ETA: The buffalo chicken, buffalo chicken lasagna, Asiago-Crusted pork chops, crab cake stuffed potato have been FI's faves.  I have also gotten him to eat califlower and brussels sprouts from my recipes.  Score! =)
    Posted by SassyPants150[/QUOTE]

Im definitely going to make a few of your recipes! Wish me luck!
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_can-good-wife-dont-cook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:c82a79de-22f9-4f0a-9ed8-e3afc6f756edPost:f032ebc9-95b3-4a54-850b-b8c02ad91ccc">Re: Can I be a good wife if I don't know how to cook?</a>:
    [QUOTE]wow, after reading this I feel lucky.  My FI is not picky at all.  I was pretty much raised with the attitude of my mom.  I cooked it, you eat... if you don't like, go hungry or fix it yourself.  I don't think you want to be rude to your FI, but I think if he is that picky of an eater, maybe he should be the one to cook, but if not here is a web-site that can help you find recipes.  <a href="http://allrecipes.com/" rel="nofollow">http://allrecipes.com/</a>   Also here is a chicken recipe you might want to try, this is one of my favorite recipes, FI loves it and it is so easy!! - 2-4 chicken breast - 1/2 cup Dijon mustard - 1/2 cup evaporated milk - 1/2 cup bread crumbs - 1/2 cup parmesan cheese salt and pepper Mix mustard and milk together in shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper in a separate bowl.  dip chicken breast in mustard mix, then in bread crumb mix.  Place in cooking dish and bake in 375 degree oven for 30-45 mins.  viola, Dijon chicken! (cooking time will depend on how large your chicken breast are)  Good luck!
    Posted by janice1980[/QUOTE]

That sounds really good..Im gonna try to make that for dinner Sunday! Thanks Janice!
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    Wow. This sounds so frustrating! If it were me, I'd ask him to help out more - tell me what he will eat that you can make and be open to trying a few new things along the way. Otherwise he's on his own (but like a PP said, no fast food that isn't in the budget).

I would make a dish I knew he liked, and on the side make some new sides to try like veggies with cheese or similar. Start working in new things with old favorites. Or putting slightly different spins on things & changing the flavors a little bit.

I can just see myself getting really fed up in a few days if my DH refused to eat as much as your FI does. There's just nothing left to choose from + it sounds really unhealthy.

I hope you find some luck with all these really delicous sounding recipes.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_can-good-wife-dont-cook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:c82a79de-22f9-4f0a-9ed8-e3afc6f756edPost:10ed483c-8c79-4934-a6d5-2d1b5215362a">Re: Can I be a good wife if I don't know how to cook?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow. This sounds so frustrating! If it were me, I'd ask him to help out more - tell me what he will eat that you can make and be open to trying a few new things along the way. Otherwise he's on his own (but like a PP said, no fast food that isn't in the budget). I would make a dish I knew he liked, and on the side make some new sides to try like veggies with cheese or similar. Start working in new things with old favorites. Or putting slightly different spins on things & changing the flavors a little bit. I can just see myself getting really fed up in a few days if my DH refused to eat as much as your FI does. There's just nothing left to choose from + it sounds really unhealthy. I hope you find some luck with all these really delicous sounding recipes.
    Posted by brokenhallelujah[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I hope I do too. I just don't understand how someone can hate cheese, pasta, EVERYTHING! Im gonna try a few of the recipes that the girls have given me and hopefully i'll have some luck!
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    I think you've already gotten a lot of great ideas but I also love kraftfoods.com.  You can put ingredients in the search and it'll spit out loads of recipes.  It might help if you are limited on choices. 

My FI isn't picky but just hasn't been exposed to a lot of different foods so he's slowly expanding his food "likes" list.  I'm so thankful that he loves Sushi now!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really feel like if he is THAT picky, he needs to take some responsibility for what's prepared.  He should be coming up with ideas for recipes he's willing to eat, this shouldn't be something that's just on you. 

As someone who doesn't like certain foods. I understand that it can be frustrating to not have things on the table that you like.  I also hate hate hate the enabling that goes on around picky eaters.  He's an adult, he doesn't need a separate meal prepared for him.

ETA: Just because you don't like something, that's not really an excuse not to eat it if it's put in front of you.  Being thankful for all that goes into preparing a meal, no matter what that meal is, is really important.
  • edited December 2011
    I totally agree with you, Mary. It definitely should not be all on the OP's shoulders if it's her FI that is refusing to budge. That's part of what being in a relationship with another person is - compromise.

I think Kraftfoods.com is a great website. I also love the recipes on Better Homes and Garden's website - bhg.com. I signed up for their emails and get a weekly email with new recipes. They have crockpot recipes that are delicious + lots of chicken recipes. We eat a lot of chicken in our house, so I'm always looking for new chicken recipes.

• edited December 2011
    I totally agree with you Mary & Brandy!! Its ridiculous how everyone caters to him so that he doesn't have to worry about eating something he doesn't like. I try to get him involved with cooking, but he always has an excuse of he doesn't know how. Hello..im not chef Emeril either! I wish I was the next Bobby Flay but im not so I try to take baby steps. His mom cooks the  weirdest things ever...gross! Im gonna look at all the sites and try some new recipes..he might just shock me and like it..we'll see!
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    I hope so! I didn't know how to cook when I was first starting out - no one does! It takes practice. So I don't really see that as an excuse. Maybe try to make it a fun date night with some fun appetizers you both can snack on (or feed each other) with wine or something while you prepare a dish. ;)
  • CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh wow Janece, he doesn't like cheese? That's my main weapon when it comes to getting FI to try new things. (And myself, usually.)

Good luck, we're in your corner! :)
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards