Catholic Weddings
Options

A note about receiving Communion during Mass?

I can't seem to find that post where you ladies gave examples of what the program could say for Catholics not in a state of grace or non-Catholics.  Could you give me examples?
Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: A note about receiving Communion during Mass?

• Options
    chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've been thinking about it too.  I'm going to have something along the lines of:

Sacrament of Communion                                                           Song Title
    As Catholics believe that, through the consecration,
    the bread and wine becomes the true body and blood of
    Christ, we ask that those who do not share that belief
    refrain from receiving communion.  Please take this time
    to reflect and pray or to come up in the communion line to
    receive a blessing.  This can be done by crossing your
    arms over your chest.
  • Options
    monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Just make sure to ask your priest first about blessings.  Some won't do them, so you wouldn't want to include a note about it unless they will.

SaveSave
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're close to our priest and I think I just want him to say something before communion along the lines of "for those who don't feel comfortable receiving communion please feel free to remain in the pews for a quiet time of prayer"

...except worded nicely haha I really like chelseamb11's idea though! The family members who are not catholic are aware of what the sacrament means, so maybe I'll just add the last part underneath in the program :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our parish made our programs and included the following:

All God’s children are welcome to this sacred place and liturgy. The Catholic understanding of Holy Communion as the very Body and Blood of Jesus Christ limits the reception of the Holy Eucharist to those who share our faith and are united in discipleship within the Church. Our brothers and sisters of other faiths are invited to come forward to receive a blessing at this time.  The desire to do so may be indicated by crossing the arms over the chest.

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    PPs have good ideas.

I would not presume on the state of grace for anyone and the below posts skip that part.

haha, you're becoming a bit of a "short timer" now, aren't you?
  • Options
    HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a fan of putting something like this in the program.  Catholics and non-Catholics usually have an awareness of the depth of receiving a Eucharist.  Putting it in writing almost seems judgemental.

My hubby didn't receive Eucharist for a long time.  Even when he returned to the church with me, he didn't receive Eucharist for a while. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Some people are legitimately ignorant about the eucharist.  My (non-Catholic) father would always receive at the masses he occassionally went to with me or my stepmother before I (very gently) explained to him that he wasn't supposed to.  He didn't really seem upset about it, just an "oh, I didn't know."  Most protestant churches have completely open communion, so a protestant used to this might think that all churches had open communion and not think anything of it.

Of course, any note should be worded with the utmost charity.

SaveSave
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_receiving-communion-during-mass?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:548420fc-34a8-4f2b-a19d-83a70e9648b6Post:f1c6a436-f161-44c9-beef-fe79ab776a77">Re: A note about receiving Communion during Mass?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some people are legitimately ignorant about the eucharist.  My (non-Catholic) father would always receive at the masses he occassionally went to with me or my stepmother before I (very gently) explained to him that he wasn't supposed to.  He didn't really seem upset about it, just an "oh, I didn't know."  Most protestant churches have completely open communion, so a protestant used to this might think that all churches had open communion and not think anything of it. Of course, any note should be worded with the utmost charity.
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

All I can think of is when Bill Clinton received, I think it was at a mass in Africa (?) during the Monica Lewinsky times.  I don't remember if he apologized or not, he was the president at the time. (is there an eye roll emoticon here/)
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Great ideas!  What do you think of this draft that I made?

All of God’s children are welcome to this sacred place and joyous Liturgy. During the consecration, we believe that the bread and wine become the true Body and Blood of Christ.  Those who are in full communion with the Church and are in a state of grace are invited to receive the Eucharist.

Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

That's good but I would  really leave out "the state of grace".

Catholics know what the state of grace is and it comes across a bit judgemental.

JMO, I could be putting too much thought into that

• Options
    HandBananaHandBanana member
    edited December 2011
    I just don't think any kind of note is anything but judgmental.  If a person is going to partake in Eucharist even if they are not in a state of grace or etc. a note in your wedding program is not going to stop them. 

My opinion though.  Not sure if that is just pesimistic but I'm not sure it is for me to point fingers about grace and receiving Eucharist in my wedding program.  As I said before, it is not uncommon for people to not participate in Eucharist but maybe that is just where I'm from.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I think "full communion" says it all.  When you're not in a state of grace, you're temporarily out of full communion anyway, so it's a little redundant.  I think the full communion part is probably the more pastoral way of phrasing it.

SaveSave
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Very helpful.  Thanks ladies, will leave out the "and are in a state of grace " part!

All of God’s children are welcome to this sacred place and joyous Liturgy. During the consecration, we believe that the bread and wine become the true Body and Blood of Christ.  Those who are in full communion with the Church are invited to receive the Eucharist.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would add "Catholic" before "church".
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_receiving-communion-during-mass?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:548420fc-34a8-4f2b-a19d-83a70e9648b6Post:20929442-31f5-41ba-87e3-bf18c63e7be0">Re: A note about receiving Communion during Mass?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Very helpful.  Thanks ladies, will leave out the " and are in a state of grace  " part!    All of God’s children are welcome to this sacred place and joyous Liturgy. During the consecration, we believe that the bread and wine become the true Body and Blood of Christ.    Those who are in full communion with the Church are invited to receive the Eucharist.
    Posted by clearheavens[/QUOTE]

That sounds good.  I don't think you have to specify Catholic as you have capitalized the C in Church. 

Anything more seems to be dumbing it down for non Catholics and Catholics who care, already know.

wow, spellcheck says clearheavens isn't a word!  Don't let that make you feel bad CH!  ;)
  • Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I would leave in the part about "state of grace."
    Unfortunately, most Catholics don't even *know* that it IS a precept of the Church that they go to Confession at least once a year, and are not permitted to receive Communion if they don't.

Sorry if that sounds "judgemental," it's a teaching of the Church. Institutions are allowed to make their own rules, which should be respected by those who wish to participate in that institution. (The alternative being; go make your own institution if you don't agree, or at the very least try and find out WHY there is such a teaching instead of writing it off as "judgemental.")

And, I think that many people, Catholics and non-Catholics, are not aware of the Church's teachings about the Eucharist. (What, something like only 30% of Catholics even belive that it is the Body and Blood of Christ?!) 

If you (the general "you," not the OP,) were to NOT put a gentle reminder of some sort in your program, or at least be announced, then I belive that makes *you* culpable for those who receive Communion unworthily, whether knowingly or unknowingly.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    jazzybaccjazzybacc member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_receiving-communion-during-mass?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:548420fc-34a8-4f2b-a19d-83a70e9648b6Post:43c245e5-1687-4114-a16d-b17f640ac6ad">Re: A note about receiving Communion during Mass?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a fan of putting something like this in the program.  Catholics and non-Catholics usually have an awareness of the depth of receiving a Eucharist.  Putting it in writing almost seems judgemental. My hubby didn't receive Eucharist for a long time.  Even when he returned to the church with me, he didn't receive Eucharist for a while. 
    Posted by HandBanana[/QUOTE]

I really disagree with this.  There are tons of Christian, non Catholics, who have no idea they shouldn't take communion in a Catholic church.  I think it's necessary to inform people, even if some may already know.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Playing for funerals, I've had to play "Eucharist patrol" 3 times in the last month. People receive Him, then hold it like its a coin or something on their way back to the pew. I whisper over (in between singing phrases of the communion song) you have to consume it.  (Figure its better in them then dropped on the floor). This comes when there is no instruction about it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_receiving-communion-during-mass?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:548420fc-34a8-4f2b-a19d-83a70e9648b6Post:0982d8f8-5eb7-455d-97fd-2cad62095fea">Re: A note about receiving Communion during Mass?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would leave in the part about "state of grace." Unfortunately, most Catholics don't even *know* that it IS a precept of the Church that they go to Confession at least once a year, and are not permitted to receive Communion if they don't. Sorry if that sounds "judgemental," it's a teaching of the Church. Institutions are allowed to make their own rules, which should be respected by those who wish to participate in that institution. (The alternative being; go make your own institution if you don't agree, or at the very least try and find out WHY there is such a teaching instead of writing it off as "judgemental.") And, I think that many people, Catholics and non-Catholics, are not aware of the Church's teachings about the Eucharist. (What, something like only 30% of Catholics even belive that it is the Body and Blood of Christ?!) <strong> If you (the general "you," not the OP,) were to NOT put a gentle reminder of some sort in your program, or at least be announced, then I belive that makes *you* culpable for those who receive Communion unworthily, whether knowingly or unknowingly.</strong>
    Posted by lalaith50[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this, that's why the decision to put a note; albeit a positive one.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     " All of God’s children are welcome to this sacred place and joyous Liturgy. During the consecration, we believe that the bread and wine become the true Body and Blood of Christ.    Those who are in full communion with the Church are invited to receive the Eucharist."

I think this is the best idea.  It's on a positive not and it doesn't sound judgmental
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree.  Any note is going to possibly hurt someone but I think this is the most positive that I can compose.  Thanks, OOT!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

hey, those were your words.

Good luck, short timer ;)

• Options
    all7dwarvesall7dwarves member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At my sister's wedding (full mass) they didn't put anything in the programs but at the beginning of communion the priest invited all catholics up for communion and invited others not of the faith to come up for a blessing and to indicate so by crossing their arms over their chest.

Its been a while so I don't remember his exact words, but the way he said it felt explanatory and welcoming rather than exclusive which I thought was nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards