Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Wine and Appetizers/Hors Dourves?

FI and I are huge wine lovers so we're having only beer and wine and a lot of wine accents with the decor and favors.  As for food, we'd like to stick with just heavy appetizers/hors dourves but I can't really think of anything that goes well with the wine theme.  Of course we're having cheese, fruit and cracker trays but what else would you pair with the wine theme?  It's an evening wedding in October if that helps at all.  Thanks for any suggestions!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wine and Appetizers/Hors Dourves?

• Options
    danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Will you have a caterer?  I would think the caterer should be able to help you create a menu based on what they offer and can make.

We had a heavy hors d'oeuvres reception and we served bruschetta, bacon wrapped scallops, bbq meatballs, sausage stuffed mushrooms, sour cream and herb stuffed red potatoes, cream cheese stuffed cherry tomatoes, chicken skewers, beef skewers, fruit/cheese/crackers display, anti-pasto skewers, and cheesecake.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, we plan to have a caterer, the thing is, every time i start looking at caterers their first question is what i want so I guess i need some ideas of what the appetizers should be before I start talking with them... :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    flamingtwig72flamingtwig72 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd definitely serve more than just fruit, cheese, and crackers if you're not serving a full dinner.  Try to include some red meat and fish appetizers to pair with different reds and whites. These will fill guests' stomachs even though they are just appetizers. Remember, too, that not all the food has to be "wine-pairing" food. Wine can go with pretty much anything.
  • Options
    LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just curious but will you be serving any beverages for people who don't like wine at all?
     Cheese and fruit is not substantial enough to prevent folks from getting drunk when drinking alcohol. Any heavy appetizers (which cheese, fruit, sandwich platters, etc do not fall into) will work fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hors d'ouevres. Yeah if you are going to do it spell it right. Sad.

Mostly, I am really really worried about the number of brides who think it is ok to provied minimal food for their weddings. This is really the number on faux pas to me.You need to seriously beef up these apps, way more than a normal cocktail hour. Please remember some hearty foods are not great for people standing around and you will need seating. Mini hors d'oeuvres are not where it is at; get carving stations, seafood stations, pasta stations, asians stations or something substantial for your guests.

• Options
    LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, you have to be aware that the amount you serve is key. A plated dinner is the equivalent of 6-8 heavy appetizers per person. You serve 3-4 heavy appetizers per person at a non-meal time. So during a meal time, you need to serve a minimum of 15-20+ pieces per person to be the equivalent of dinner. If someone goes home hungry after that, it's their own fault.
  • Options
    lynxlvrlynxlvr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm probably doing the wine & appetizers reception, as well.  FI's favorite food is from a local chicken finger restaurant, so we're going to order a couple of tailgate packs.  Fried chicken fingers isn't glamorous and doesn't quite "go" with the retro style wedding, but who cares?  I'd rather make him happy and have guests really enjoy finger food than break the budget trying to be too fancy.  The chicken fingers are very filling (two fingers fills me up as a meal), and the restaurant is a local favorite.  I just keep in mind that people go to weddings to eat, eat, eat (especially with my Italian & Cajun relatives), so the more food, the better.  The truth of it is, people are more worried about their bellies than your theme.  Most people won't remember the food, unless there is NOT ENOUGH of it!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_wine-appetizershors-dourves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e6b1628c-8a41-4826-8e7e-c9dd9d414c6fPost:a83089b4-4c26-4da1-ac58-97d30f7aa936">Re: Wine and Appetizers/Hors Dourves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hors d'ouevres. Yeah if you are going to do it spell it right. Sad. Mostly, I am really really worried about the number of brides who think it is ok to provied minimal food for their weddings. This is really the number on faux pas to me.You need to seriously beef up these apps, way more than a normal cocktail hour. Please remember some hearty foods are not great for people standing around and you will need seating. Mini hors d'oeuvres are not where it is at; get carving stations, seafood stations, pasta stations, asians stations or something substantial for your guests.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]
    I have to agree.  If you are having an evening wedding (unless you're starting really late), you need to serve a substantial meal.  If you want to do a cocktail type of reception, you should have at least 3 stations and plenty of passed apps. (at least 6).  Don't forget about salads and cold displays in addition to the stations and apps.  Coupled with dessert, you should be fine.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wine and beer go with any appetizers.  Sure, you may want to pick your specific wine/beer to complement well, but pick what you like.

Maybe pull up some tapas restaurant menus for inspiration, if you want something that all goes together traditionally? 

And be upfront with the caterers.  Tell them you don't know what you want, and you'd like them to put some suggestions out there.  If they want your business, they'll respond. 
  • Options
    tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Google Sysco Foods for a large list of apps & descriptions.  They are a wholesale restaurant supply company. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards