California-Los Angeles

Another distance question...

I need distance advise please.
I guess etiquette says that the reception should be no farther than 30 mins from the ceremony site. I have my heart set on getting married at my church where I made my first communion and confirmation. The only problem is that I can't seem to find a local reception location that meets all our criteria. We are on a tight budget and have a large guest list. So I'm looking for a place that can accommodate 200-250 people, will let us bring our own food and alcohol and costs less than $2500 (preferably even under 2K). Also, I prefer an outdoor reception but it's not an absolute must.
So the only place I've found that meets all these requirements (and it actually very pretty) is a 45 min drive from our ceremony site. Most of the people I've talked to that would be attending don't seem to mind the drive. FI thinks it's too far. Most of his family will be coming from the reception area and most of my family will be coming from the church area. So it will be driving for everyone. I've thought about finding a church near the reception site but I really had my heart set on getting married at my church. I don't know of any other locations for the reception closer to the church that meet our needs so the only other option I can think of would be getting a hall, which I would prefer not to do especially when for not much more we could have this beautiful reception location.
What do you guys think?
btw, it would be a Saturday wedding. A Friday with that kind of travel would be out of the question due to traffic.   

Thanks if you got through all of that.

Re: Another distance question...

• edited December 2011
    Can you get a shuttle that starts at the reception location (so people can leave their cars there), goes to the church, then goes back to the reception, then back to the church for those who live close by? I'd be much more compliant with this scenario if I didn't have to drive myself.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    where is your church?? maybe we can help you find a place. if your in the valley off the 101 my friend got married at the ararat in mission hills. its was really pretty. and it includes everything you need.

http://www.ararathome.org/tp40/page.asp?ID=67123
  • edited December 2011
    If I had to drive, I wouldn't be too happy about it, but if you rented buses, I'd feel better as a guest.  There was a wedding I was in and the reception was 30 miles away from the church and a lot of guests, including my FI complained that it was just too much.  For my sister's wedding, she rented yellow school buses to transport people back and forth, even to the hotel at the end of the night, so that no one had to drive drunk.
  • edited December 2011
    If people have to spend 45 min. to get to your reception, they probably won't stay very late.  People will want to spend a good deal of time celebrating with you, but not too much time if you know what I mean.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • nickchicknickchick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hhmm, thanks for all the replies. I was away from my computer over the weekend so i'm just now getting back on.
    I can look in to how much transportation would cost. I was actually already considering it to a hotel for the people who want to drink. Although, if it's going to cost a lot, that would defeat the purpose of having it at such an affordable place.

theta_bombshell, my church is in Lomita. It's very near Torrance.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards