Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Welcome bags???

I am recently engaged and have been reading magazines and advice columns like crazy.  The mention of "welcome gift bags" for out of town guests keeps popping up, but I am confused about them.  When did these become the norm?  ARE they the norm?  What is put in them?  Are they optional (I hope so.)?  I have lots of family and a few friends from out of town I expect will be attending.  But I also have been to numeous out of town weddings and never received a welcome gift bag.  Can someone please fill me in?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Welcome bags???

• Options
    we are doing them! I found some gift giving style bags on clearnance at target and we are putting "our favorite things" in them, like a can of each of our fav pops, each of our snack foods, some bottled water,gum etc. Alot of peoplejust put things that will be useful for guests in a hotel room, like bottled water, etc. Also if you have guests who will have any free time while there in town(people who are not coming for the wedding and leaving the following morning) you can always contact your local visitors bureau for pamplets and ideas on things your guests can do while there in town, like the zoo or whatever happens to be popular in your area. We are also typing up a thank you letter which includes our suggestions of things to do, for example "if you are hungry check out xxx restaurant, this is where we had our first date and there nachos are the best" and "for a good beer visit xxx brewery, you can actually see them brew the beer and our favorite beer is......"

there are for sure not nessicary but its a nice touch if you are smart you can do em without a high cost!!

:)
  • Options
    MangoSongMangoSong member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    They aren't necessary, but it's nice to welcome OOT guests. Every wedding I've been in or been to, has done them.
    We included information regarding:
    ~ directions to/from venue and to/from ceremony spot, a map
    ~ Events and nightlife in the area
    ~ SHUTTLE TIMES (important if you are having a shuttle)
    We also included some snacks. Some friends have done snacks that mean something to the B&G (their favorites), some couples did snacks to go with their theme.
    One of the brides provided an "emgency kit" in her welcome bagsas well. In a ziplock she put a bandaid or two, advil, some tissues, and where the nearest CVS was.

You can usually give them to the receptionist at the hotel(s) and instruct they are for the block of rooms under your wedding. They're usually pretty good about handing them out when people check in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards