Texas-Houston

Is it too early to send Save the Dates? via email?

Hey fellow Knotties,

I was wondering if y'all know if it's too early to send save the dates via email?  I have a cousin who sent out 15 save the dates via facebook already, and her 15 isn't until April.  My wedding is in Aug 2011, do y'all think its ok?  Also is it kind of tacky to send it via Facebook? 

HELP PLEASE!!!

I'm eager to let everyone know already, I just don't know how.  I also want to make sure I have an idea of who all will be there. 

What do y'all think.

Re: Is it too early to send Save the Dates? via email?

• loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a firm believer that STD shouldn't be sent via email or facebook. If you need inexpensive ones, lots of knotties use vistaprint.com for their STD's.

If your wedding is August 2011, I would send them out 4 months before the wedding & formal invites 2 months before the wedding.
  • tjw2011tjw2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

This is unrelated to your question, but your ticker must be off because if you are getting married in August of next year, you should have 11 months or so left before the big day.

I'm interested in the responses to your question because I want to know when I should send them out too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Usually you don't send out save the dates until 4-6 months before the wedding unless you are having a destination wedding. If so sending sTd's now is fine. As far as email and facebook is concerned, I don't see a problem with sending them there, especially if facebook or email is a primary communication tool. Thats just my $.08
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We sent ours more than 6 months in advance because we had been engaged for a long time and almost everyone was from out of town, so really send out STDs whenever you are ready. Personally I don't see the point to send out STDs 4 months before the wedding to then send ivitations 2 months before, at 4 months what's the point.

I also don't agree with sending them out on facebook or email that just seems so impersonal to me, its super cheap to get postcards made on vistaprint, I only paid for the envelopes and postage when I sent mine.
  • edited December 2011
    it sounds like you are more just wanting to announce your engagement. If you wanted to do something on facebook, do a general "we are getting married!" type post and just put that details are in the works, you are looking at August 2011.

I wouldnt do an email or facebook save the date at all. to me, yes it is tacky.

• aggiebugaggiebug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you can do email ones if you want.  But I might go through e-vite or something like that.  save the dates are more of an FYI and not even needed so I think email is fine.  Facebook I would steer away from, but then again I think most wedding things should stay off facebook.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you look at miriellegirl  Bio, her STD's are so cute !  They're under details section.
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely don't recommend sending anything out until you finalize your guest list. If you've got that finalized this early on, then kudos...but I think a postcard or something in the mail is more personal than an email. An email can be forwarded...and your guests MIGHT forward it out to people that you didn't intend on inviting. Just a thought...
  • edited December 2011
    My wedding is March 2011 and I just sent mine out 2 weeks ago primarily because most of our guests were out of towners and everyone was asking anyway.  So I guess we sent ours out 7 months before.  I went with a postcard to save on postage but to still be able to mail everyone something.  It was also fun to write a little message on the back of each one. A little time consuming but fun.  Rules are meant to be broken so do what you want to do! 
  • afrances52385afrances52385 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much fellow brides. I so appreciate the help.  I guess my issue is that I am trying to finalize the guest list, I didn't word everything correctly.  I am trying to see who will come, and who will not come.  That's why I was seeing if it was ok to do facebook because I do not even have any of my friends addresses so that when I need to send the STD's I will not have to do it by email.  Do y'all understand my dilemma?  Now that I have cleared up my question, is it ok?  I am just asking for a head count and information, facebook and email is ok?  I feel so confused.  I think I need more help.

Thanks everyone.

• edited December 2011
    Don't worry about who can come and won't come for now. Many people don't know their plans this far in advance. Work and school and life things come up.

For now, I would just finalize your guest list based on who you want to be at your wedding. Yes, you can use email, phone and facebook to individually ask for your guest addresses and contact information. I would then send a save-the-date to everyone as early as you like. I sent mine out 6 months in advance via postcard. Make sure you include your return address on the save-the-date because this can also help you confirm if your addresses are correct. Regardless if people tell you they can't come when they receive the save-the-date, I would still send them an invitation just in case plans change. Invitations usually go out 6-8 weeks in advance.

Hope this helps!
  • aggiebugaggiebug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Save the dates are not meant to find out information about attendance.  That is the job of the invitation and the invitation only.  Its just to let those guests that you are 100% sure will get an invite save the date.  It doesnt matter if somone mentions to you they probably can't come, if they got a save the date they should get an invitation.  If you are worried about numbers you invite the max number you can allow and no more, then you won't have to worry about going over.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • afrances52385afrances52385 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks so much ladies...now I feel at ease.  I really do appreciate the help.

loves to all the soon to be wifey's. 

avelina
  • edited December 2011
    The proper ettiquete is to send the out 1 year to 8 months in advance. The reason people send out STD's is so that people who have to travel to get there, can make arrangements to put in for time off from work, or book early flights. STD's have become more novelty, in that everyone is sending them to announce a wedding is coming soon. In the event that everyone is close to the location, 6 months would be appropriate, and your formal invites to follow around month 3 or 2 at the latest.

Now-- about facebook-- not everyone is on there, and people will be upset when they did not hear about it personally from you. I would find a way to let everyone know that you are indeed getting married in a year. I did mine off 123print.com and it was cheaper than Vista.
  • hutchslhutchsl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did mine by email but had only 6 months to plan my wedding which is OOT for almost everone including us. Our wedding is 10-9-10 in Austin. If you read enough blogs you will hear numerous brides say they wish they had waited on save the dates as some people they wish they no longer had to send an invitation. Life changes as do relationships with friends. You should wait to send out the Save the Dates.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards