Connecticut
Options

Ocean-Side Wedding Venue

Hello,

I'm looking for a ceremony+reception area somewhere on a nice rocky beach, preferably on a cliff-side (meaning, that the ceremony site is not on sand but still faces the ocean). The budget is 10k or less (preferably 5k or less) for the location+catering (should include linens and chairs). The wedding has to be in mid-May, so preferably not a place that gets too cold during that season. In general, there is also a preference for a place that faces East, across the ocean. I'm from a foreign country and our second ceremony abroad is going to be on the ocean, facing West toward the US, so we'd like the one in the US to face East.

Can anyone recommend a place?

(Note: This post is going to show up in several local boards because we're portable across almost all of the East Coast region between MA and MD)

Thanks!

-M.

Re: Ocean-Side Wedding Venue

• Options
    Eastern Point Beach, in Groton, CT.

However - you may want to look further south than Connecticut. Weather in May here is completely unpredictable. You may have a beautiful day in the high 70's or a day in the 40's, it's a crap shoot. Not to mention, New England in general is just more expensive. Good luck!
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Ditto PP... If you're looking for nice weather in May, CT is certainly not a guarantee. At first, it sounded like you were describing places more typical in Rhode Island but that's probably even more expensive than CT and, again, questionable weather in May. CT is buffered by the Long Island Sound also, so if you're imagining huge waves, we don't have them until you go toward Rhode Island.

It's good that you're flexible. I would definitely look further south.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    jjswinjjswin member
    First Comment

A place on Long Island, either Sound, Bay, or Ocean will cost you well over 10K.

• Options
    Really? Even just for the location and catering?
  • Options
    SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    The only place here I can think of that may be sort of what you want is the pavillion at Rocky Neck State Park. You can have your ceremony on the beach or at the pavillion.  but the ocean is not true ocean with big waves, it's long island sound.
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_ocean-side-wedding-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:2468b5ec-f62a-4ac0-b51c-e13a8968e6d4Post:6b3da940-34f9-41e9-bf20-f662e998f407">Re: Ocean-Side Wedding Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]A place on Long Island, either Sound, Bay, or Ocean will cost you well over 10K.
    Posted by jjswin[/QUOTE]

This.

This is the first thing that came to mind but not sure this meets your needs exactly...

<a href="http://www.watersedgeresortandspa.com/index.php" rel="nofollow">http://www.watersedgeresortandspa.com/index.php</a>

Also love Glen Island in NY but very pricey & Marina Del Ray as well!

GL!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Agreed with PP, anything with ocean/sound view will be very expensive. Recent venues I've been to that have ocean/sound views were at Marina Del Rey and Inn at Longshore which were $200+ per person for Friday or Saturday night with at least 100 guests minimum. The only exception might be Amarante's in New Haven but in my opinion it's not as grand and beautiful as most ocean-side venues in the Northeast. 
  • Options
    jjswinjjswin member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_ocean-side-wedding-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:2468b5ec-f62a-4ac0-b51c-e13a8968e6d4Post:56f7e519-59d1-4754-b265-62163bf2aee3">Re: Ocean-Side Wedding Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Really? Even just for the location and catering?
    Posted by adrrine[/QUOTE]

A LI wedding is around $100 - $150 a plate, with a minimum of 130 - 150 people, and that usually does not include the fees for the ceremony. We were just rated the #2 most expensive place to get married.
  • Options
    sukicsukic member
    First Comment
    I had my wedding at Amarante's in New Haven this past May and the ceremony was outside on the lawn. It is a beautiful setting in Morris Cove looking out at Long Island Sound but there are no rocky cliffs. We were lucky with spectacular weather and the price was more like $95 per person. The prices at Amarante's usually go up in June.
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    We are getting married at Branford House - it costs $4,000 (might be bumped to $4,500 for future years, I don't know) for the venue and tables and chairs.  It's absolutely stunning - gorgeous old mansion on the water, no sand (that was our request, as my FI will be in his military uniform and doesn't want to get sand on it), and a beautiful lighthouse!  It's a steal, believe me.  It will comfortably fit up to 150 people.

So that would leave you $6000 for catering - that depends on your guest list whether it's very little or a lot.  Because Branford House is venue-only, there's no minimum for numbers of guests, so your catering costs are totally separate.  If you're only expecting 50 people, that's a very comfortable budget and an absolutely spacious palacial venue.  For 200 people, the venue will be a little small and your food budget will be less.  Still totally do-able!

If you're having a small wedding, I'd check out Emily's Catering - they aren't super low budget (like under $70/person), but they'll include service and linens.

Even if you're having a bigger wedding, I bet you could find a caterer to do a heavy appetizer menu for that price.

Anniversary

• Options
    Oh costa azzurra in Milford is perfect then! They are right on top of the beach but you would have the ceremony on there balcony which is beautiful. They are very well priced at just 55 a person. I looked into it but one of my friends is getting married there so I decided to go with lighthouse point in new haven. Which I also highly recommend obviously. But that's not really what you're looking for. You would usually get married right on the beach there
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lighthouse Point Park in New Haven... there's a pretty light house and a carousel inside the building.  They're site rental is $3000 - $3600.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards